New Supreme Amy Coney Barrett according to CBS News just now

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: New Supreme Amy Coney Barrett according to CBS News just now

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Econoline wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:51 pm
From Sen. Chuck Schumer's speech on the Senate floor last night:
I want to be very clear with my Republican colleagues. You may win this vote. And Amy Coney Barrett may become the next Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. But you will never, never get your credibility back. And the next time the American people give Democrats a majority in this chamber, you will have forfeited the right to tell us how to run that majority.
That does sound an awful lot like, "just wait until it's our turn..." — and it probably is, but when you're dealing with overgrown playground bullies you need to speak to them in their own language.

And of course, just like a pendulum on a grandfather clock, when it swings back in the Republican direction, we can expect more of the same — "Now it's OUR turn again, and fuck the rest of you...." — until each session of Congress becomes nothing more than one group of kids kicking apart the sandcastle the LAST group of kids built, while the rest of the country goes to hell in a handbasket.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I honestly am beginning to think that the Republican Party just fucked itself for at least a generation - probably longer, unless it truly reforms. It’s a toxic party now.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:09 pm
I honestly am beginning to think that the Republican Party just fucked itself for at least a generation - probably longer, unless it truly reforms. It’s a toxic party now.
Didn't people say that after Watergate, too? And wasn't the "generation" about seven years?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

7 years? Well even that looks good to me.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:03 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:09 pm
Didn't people say that after Watergate, too? And wasn't the "generation" about seven years?
This isn’t the late 70s America. It’s a very different America in terms of demographics and prevailing attitudes. The current GOP is playing to a shrinking base of right wing deeply socially conservatives (and too often also racists), and in the process is purging a lot of really good people from the party as well as seeing massive falloff in youth recruitment. If the best plan in the works is Don Jr., Ivanka or Tucker Carlson in 2024, the GOP has lost the plot.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan