I watched the 'debate'

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

I watched the 'debate'

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

CNN's Dana Bash called it a shit show.

Trump, when asked about condemning white supremacy, said: “Proud Boys — Stand back, stand by."

I have no idea what the fuck he meant. Correction: yes I do.

Sue U

Re: I watched the 'debate'

Post by Sue U »

It was not a debate. It was Donald trump being a loud-mouthed jerk who can't stand to hear anyone talk but himself. It was all look-at-me-look-at-me desperation. I can't imagine how he thinks shouting down everyone else in the room with incoherent ranting and insane lies is going to win him any votes.
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Disgusting. How could anybody vote for Trump? He's an immature idiot. He doesn't know what a debate is. I liked when Biden called him a clown though. Other than that, the "debate" was a bad joke. In the remaining debates, they should give the moderator a switch to turn off the microphone of the person who isn't supposed to be talking.

I'm hearing a few people blaming Chris Wallace but I don't see how he could have done anything to keep order short of using a taser on Trump.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

THIS. CAN"T. BE. OVER. WITH. SOON. ENOUGH!

I am tempted to cash in everything and move somewhere off grid.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:58 am
Disgusting. How could anybody vote for Trump? He's an immature idiot. He doesn't know what a debate is. I liked when Biden called him a clown though. Other than that, the "debate" was a bad joke. In the remaining debates, they should give the moderator a switch to turn off the microphone of the person who isn't supposed to be talking.

I'm hearing a few people blaming Chris Wallace but I don't see how he could have done anything to keep order short of using a taser on Trump.
Trump can probably shout loud enough to be heard even with a shut-down microphone, so I vote for the Taser myself.

By the way — were you aware that TASER is actually an acronym that stands for "Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle", in homage to a fictional character from the early 1900s?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

dales

Post by dales »

Yes, and speaking of the debate.

This should clear any thought about Trump's unfitness for POTUS.

What a loutish buffoon!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:28 am
It was not a debate. It was Donald trump being a loud-mouthed jerk who can't stand to hear anyone talk but himself. It was all look-at-me-look-at-me desperation. I can't imagine how he thinks shouting down everyone else in the room with incoherent ranting and insane lies is going to win him any votes.
Ha! You must not have engaged much with some of his quite ordinary supporters! :lol:

My ballot has been mailed. Bye bye Donny
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Bye-bye Trump indeed.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:28 am
I can't imagine how he thinks shouting down everyone else in the room with incoherent ranting and insane lies is going to win him any votes.
There are those who think that anyone who upsets the libtards is exactly what we need. So the more he rants and lies, the more we say what an asshole* he is, the more they think that he must be doing something right and so the more popular he becomes among that cohort.

* I have to stop calling him an asshole. An asshole performs a necessary and useful function, although most of us** would prefer not to spend time contemplating it.

** There are, of course, exceptions.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:15 pm
There are those who think that anyone who upsets the libtards is exactly what we need. So the more he rants and lies, the more we say what an asshole* he is, the more they think that he must be doing something right and so the more popular he becomes among that cohort.
Yes, I'm sure there is a certain number of voters who support Trump because they imagine he "triggers the libs." Although frankly, most of the "libs" I know are not actually "triggered," but just roll their eyes and say "OMG I can't believe he's 1) so stupid 2) so ignorant 3) so deranged 4) so incompetent 5) so racist 6) so petty 7) so narcissistic 8) so sociopathic 9) so blatantly grifting 10) so obviously lying [choose one or more]." And in any event, I think most people (even Trump supporters) might recognize that spite is not a particularly productive basis for government.

I think the majority of Trump supporters simply don't care one way or the other that he's an asshole; they are okay with his complete lack of principle, morals and basic humanity because they believe they are getting what they want -- a judiciary stocked with right-wing ideologues, tax cuts for the super-rich and big corporations, rollbacks of health, safety and environmental protections, punishment for immigrants and elevation of "white" supremacists. And as I have said before, it seems that for a sizeable percentage, voting for Trump is not so much a policy choice as an act of violence against the idea of government itself.

Anyway, I just completed my mail-in ballot and honestly the toughest choices I had to make were for school board and and fire district commissioner -- non-partisan offices for which we are blessed to have a surfeit of qualified (maybe over-qualified) candidates.
GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Went back to check my own quote and found this post from Lord Jim just after the Super Tuesday primaries in 2016; he and I didn't agree on a lot in politics, but he was (and still is) spot-on here:

viewtopic.php?p=194941#p194941
Lord Jim wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:16 pm
I saw a Trumpanzee interviewed standing in line yesterday, while she was waiting to go in to vote (I think it was in Tennessee) and she said, when asked why she was voting for Donald Trump:

"I don't like a lot of what he says, but he's strong and he'll change things"....

Support for Trump has no intellectual basis; it's visceral and emotional...(and therefore it's inaccessible to being refuted by rational argument...)

And Trump knows this, and he plays it like a violin...

As Marco Rubio has correctly pointed out, Trump saw the anger and frustration that many Americans have felt and he "swooped in" to exploit it...

It's difficult for me to speak with any real authority about what motivates Trump supporters, because frankly, with the exception of wesw, I don't personally know any.....

I know a lot of Republicans, I know a lot of conservatives, and I also know a lot of Liberals, Democrats, and leftists...even a couple of verifiable communists....

But no Trump supporters....(that's probably because all the people I know IRL left, right, and center are too intelligent to be Trump supporters...but I wont go there.... 8-) )

But that having been said, I believe I do have a bit of an insight into what motivates these folks, and it's much as Sue described it:
They're voting for Trump as an act of violence against government in general.
In a sense, "the establishment" in both parties, have no one but themselves to blame for this...

This charlatan did not create the level of visceral anger and disaffection that many people feel towards the political process...

That's been many years in the making.... it's a stew that's been cooked by both parties...

This flim-flam man has merely "swooped in" to cleverly exploit it...

The anger and frustration is completely understandable...

But if you have an upset stomach, the solution isn't to drink rat poison....even if it's in a really appealing looking bottle...

And that's what Druimpf has on offer here...
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

It’s fear plain and simple they may not recognized as such but primal unease from a feeling of loss of security. Trumps bluster calms that unease
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I caught a few minutes. It was like an SNL parody skit, only funnier. (What's that saying, if you don't laugh, you'll have to cry).

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Proudboys: "Stand down, Standby" :o :shock:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

299C27A2-4B03-4A5A-B129-D151FDD86791.jpeg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

Glad you're back, BSG!

I suppose it took the "debates" to draw you back?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:04 pm
I think the majority of Trump supporters simply don't care one way or the other that he's an asshole
Agreed and I hope you don't mind that I quoted much of this paragraph on FB. You are missing one strong element of "he's for us so we will ignore his utter worthlessness" and that's on abortion. I believe these so-called Christians are willing to sell their souls to the devil if he just promises to save babies. And it may be more people than any of us realize.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I didn't watch the whole thing. I probably could have stood it, but Mrs Mc was about to puke. I figured, correctly, that the media would do a good job of dissecting it this morning. I was right, and I didn't waste 97 minutes of my life.

I agree that EITHER of their mics should be cut if one (spelled T R U M P) interrupts the speaker who is supposed to have the floor.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.