Who would you prefer to be the master

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!

Who would you prefer to be the master of the American people?

1. Russia
25%
2. China
25%
3. Other
50%

Total votes: 4

Gob

Re: Who would you prefer to be the master

Post by Gob »

Yep, I am, please enlighten me.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I think that's part of it CP, but the other thing that I think applies is that many people never learned how to be happy about anything because nothing is ever "good enough" to be worth being happy about. Get the big promotion you wanted? Don't be happy, it just means a lot more work. Have a kid? Do you know what it costs to send them to college? It's always the same. I personally think it comes from the people never believing they personally warrant being happy because they are not "good enough" (something they learn from their parents repeating they are not good enough over and over again) and then just transfer that feeling to anything that happens. At least that's what I have seen with people I know.

I remember going to a motivational seminar at work (I detest those things, but the story is worth repeating) where the speaker told the story of a family with two kids, one always happy, the other always sour. The therapist suggested that, as the holidays were approaching, they should give the pessimist everything he wanted as gifts, and give the optimist a box of horse shit. sure enough, when the gifts were open, the sour boy was already complaining, while the happy kid was jumping up and down and digging in the box saying "With all this shit, there has to be a horse in there". Like that second kid, I think we have to learn to let ourselves be happy; circumstances don't control it as much as we do.

BSG--I clearly said there are some people who are mentally ill and clinically depressed who should be treated, likely by medication. Chronic physical ailments can also affect this. But there are some people who are just not happy, not because of any mental or chronic illness, but because of the way they are. Certainly you're not saying every person with a sour disposition is mentally ill, are you?

ETA: FWIW, my mother was one of those people--she was never really happy (but then she was never really very sad either; she had some serious problems with her home life, and married young to get away from it). she clearly could have benefited from discussing some of this with a therapist, but we Scandinavians (and people of Scandinavian heritage) don't do that, we just walk around the block and then forget about it. I do not believe she was mentally ill (nor do I think she needed to be medicated), but she, like most of us, had some problems worth analyzing.

dales

Post by dales »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:58 pm
Are you people truly this clueless or callous about mental illness and chronic physiological illness?

:loon :arg
You might want to consider some couch time and/or psych meds.

With your generally nasty and profane attitude with those you disagree with, I believe you seeking the help you obviously need would not only be beneficial to you but everyone here.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Darren

Post by Darren »

With the numerous moves toward more cooperation between the US, Japan and SE Asian countries to confront Chinese aggression, China is out numbered and is being out maneuvered.

During the Trump interregnum expect India to not only pass China in population but also become a world center for manufacturing. The key is India needs extensive transportation infrastructure development.

As a democracy India stands to benefit greatly from the sanctions on China and the increasingly closer relations with the US.

The ship building to provide patrol vessels and the recent agreement between Japan and the US to create a facility in the South China Sea for our use are a sampling of the moves that will continue to counter Chinese aggression.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”