2020 Election results

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Re: 2020 Election results

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I recall reading that note from GHWB to WJC at the time or maybe shortly afterwards when it was published, and I remember thinking that it was the action of a decent man but certainly nothing more than you would expect. It's only now, with everything that has happened over the last four years, that it seems worthy of note. I'm not knocking Bush's sentiments but there was a time, not so long ago, when being civil to each other was the norm.

Gob

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I am forcing myself to watch FOX News part of each day so I can monitor how far down the autocratic rabbit hole Murdoch is letting his NEWS reporters go.

The commentary from the OPINION hosts is anti American and anti democracy. (And frankly the language used about Democrats is certainly fomenting hatred, if not ultimately more violence.)

But of course the audience knows the difference.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

I'm wondering if the reports of the large number of ballots found with only a vote for Biden are true. You would think they would have also voted for the Democrats running for Congress.

The gains of the GOP in the House is more than interesting. Add the failure of the polls again in 2020.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Darren wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:42 pm
I'm wondering if the reports of the large number of ballots found with only a vote for Biden are true.
Wonder no longer. It's rubbish crap Trump lies.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Darren wrote:
I'm wondering if the reports of the large number of ballots found with only a vote for Biden are true. You would think they would have also voted for the Democrats running for Congress.

The gains of the GOP in the House is more than interesting. Add the failure of the polls again in 2020.
Yes, you'd think that if they were going to go to all that trouble to insert Biden votes into the process they would try to sew up the House and Senate at the same time.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:02 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:21 am
Amid the euphoria over Biden's victory (yes!), read the tea-leaves.

America has, by a slim margin, repudiated Trump and removed the cancer from the presidency, almost.

But America has also, by not such a slim margin perhaps, repudiated the Democratic party to some degree. A net loss of 4 House seats by the Dems is a message. The Senate remains uncertain but at last look it does not appear that Biden's election translates as a changed Senate.

Biden is clearly aware that working with such a Congress and against the background of 70,000,000+ votes FOR Trump is not a mandate for the left. His centrist tendencies have in fact been empowered by this result. I'm hoping this is going to be four years of genuine political compromise that rebuilds America as a compassionate society, keen to serve all the people. It begins with building a strong economy with equal opportunity. Police reform. Health care. Engagement with the world. It also requires strength - zero tolerance for rioters, street-occupations and right militias. Much stronger gun control.

Yeah that should all be easy
I'm personally way to the left of Biden but I could not agree more with you, Meade. Reality is there to be recognized and I'll take it even if it's a lot less than I want. As my grandmother (Mayor of a little town in Buckinghamshire in the 1960s where she was allowed to spent the grand total of £10 (around $30 then) on electioneering every IIRC 4 years or so) always said: "Half a loaf is better than no bread." She was right then and still.
Let me just say here: No. Fuck no and fuck that noise. When the votes are all counted Biden will have won over 5 million votes more than Trump (he's currently more than 4.5 million ahead) -- which is a 60% increase over the margin by which Hillary Clinton won the "popular vote." And when Clinton lost in the electoral college, how well did Trump and the GOP Congress work to compromise with the Democrats? How did they craft legislation in recognition of the fact that they actually had no popular mandate?

The Republicans have been defying the will of the American electorate for 12 years and thwarting the policies and programs that the people actually support. Elections have consequences and politics ain't beanbag. To quote the popular GOP catch phrase, fuck their feelings. Trump and his enablers should be on trial; they're in no position to be demanding consideration, let alone concessions.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m seriously contemplating relocating to Georgia.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:32 pm
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
MajGenl.Meade wrote:

America has, by a slim margin, repudiated Trump and removed the cancer from the presidency, almost.

But America has also, by not such a slim margin perhaps, repudiated the Democratic party to some degree. A net loss of 4 House seats by the Dems is a message. The Senate remains uncertain but at last look it does not appear that Biden's election translates as a changed Senate.

Biden is clearly aware that working with such a Congress and against the background of 70,000,000+ votes FOR Trump is not a mandate for the left. His centrist tendencies have in fact been empowered by this result. I'm hoping this is going to be four years of genuine political compromise that rebuilds America as a compassionate society, keen to serve all the people. It begins with building a strong economy with equal opportunity. Police reform. Health care. Engagement with the world. It also requires strength - zero tolerance for rioters, street-occupations and right militias. Much stronger gun control.

I'm personally way to the left of Biden but I could not agree more with you, Meade. Reality is there to be recognized and I'll take it even if it's a lot less than I want. As my grandmother (Mayor of a little town in Buckinghamshire in the 1960s where she was allowed to spent the grand total of £10 (around $30 then) on electioneering every IIRC 4 years or so) always said: "Half a loaf is better than no bread." She was right then and still.
Let me just say here: No. Fuck no and fuck that noise. When the votes are all counted Biden will have won over 5 million votes more than Trump (he's currently more than 4.5 million ahead) -- which is a 60% increase over the margin by which Hillary Clinton won the "popular vote." And when Clinton lost in the electoral college, how well did Trump and the GOP Congress work to compromise with the Democrats? How did they craft legislation in recognition of the fact that they actually had no popular mandate?

The Republicans have been defying the will of the American electorate for 12 years and thwarting the policies and programs that the people actually support. Elections have consequences and politics ain't beanbag. To quote the popular GOP catch phrase, fuck their feelings. Trump and his enablers should be on trial; they're in no position to be demanding consideration, let alone concessions.
This x 1000.

You two brits sounds like Chamberlain. Get a grip, please. There is so much work to do, appeasement should not be on anyone’s list.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Darren

Post by Darren »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:46 pm
Darren wrote:

Yes, you'd think that if they were going to go to all that trouble to insert Biden votes into the process they would try to sew up the House and Senate at the same time.
Have you read any reports of voting exceeding registered voters?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

not from any sources that even border on being reliable.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Crackpot wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:35 pm
Would those be ABC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, etc.?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Where do you clowns get "appeasement" from? Smell the damn coffee. Biden must undo Trump wherever possible but if he's got a Rep Senate and the American voters have reduced his House margin, you'd damn well better pipe down or it's the fire next time.

You really piss me off saying "no no x100" to quote: building a strong economy with equal opportunity. Police reform. Health care. Engagement with the world. It also requires strength - zero tolerance for rioters, street-occupations and right militias. Much stronger gun control. unquote

What is the matter with you people? Are those not things that you want FFS?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Darren wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:01 pm
Crackpot wrote:
Would those be ABC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, etc.?

Yes you moron

Darren

Post by Darren »

Crackpot wrote:
The same ones that quickly called Hawaii for Biden. Have they called Alaska yet?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

No, but then only 55% of the votes were counted, right?

And FWIW, how many of the prediction were changed when the votes were counted?

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Reuters AP Fox BBC Al Jezerra fucking RT etc,,,
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Darren wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:43 pm
Crackpot wrote:
The same ones that quickly called Hawaii for Biden.
What, did they get Hawaii wrong? Only CA had a larger percentage of Biden votes.
Have they called Alaska yet?
No. But then if you had the slightest interest in this election or more than 2 fucking brain cells you would know that or have the gumption to look it up.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

My comments in red.
Sue U wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:32 pm
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
MajGenl.Meade wrote:

Biden is clearly aware that working with such a Congress and against the background of 70,000,000+ votes FOR Trump is not a mandate for the left. His centrist tendencies have in fact been empowered by this result. I'm hoping this is going to be four years of genuine political compromise that rebuilds America as a compassionate society, keen to serve all the people. It begins with building a strong economy with equal opportunity. Police reform. Health care. Engagement with the world. It also requires strength - zero I go with some word here a little less binary than zero - maybe limited tolerance for rioters, street-occupations and right militias. Much stronger gun control.

Let me just say here: No. Fuck no and fuck that noise. When the votes are all counted Biden will have won over 5 million votes more than Trump (he's currently more than 4.5 million ahead) -- which is a 60% increase over the margin by which Hillary Clinton won the "popular vote." And when Clinton lost in the electoral college, how well did Trump and the GOP Congress work to compromise with the Democrats? How did they craft legislation in recognition of the fact that they actually had no popular mandate? As that same grandmother used to tell me, two wrongs don't make a right. Trump refused to recognize that half the country (actually more than half) opposed him but took his EC victory as a mandate. The Constitution needs amending but that's the way it is. And there will not be significant changes to the constitution in the lifetime of anyone here on this board. Why would 2/3 of the states sign on for something which so clearly would be not in the interests of most of them? The states who think that the EC works against them can probably be counted on the fingers of two hands. Biden has to recognize that half the country think he's illegitimate and work to bring some of them around. Otherwise we are consigned to an ever more wildly swinging pendulum.

As for the appeasement comment - Chamberlain gets a bad press. He was between a rock face and a very hard place. We were in no state, in 1938, to take on the German military machine by ourselves. It's reality. And had Germany mopped up the Royal Navy to add to the German, French and Italian fleets I'm not sure I'd fancy the US chances fighting on both the Atlantic and Pacific fronts. We'll never know of course.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:16 pm
Darren wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:43 pm
Crackpot wrote:
The same ones that quickly called Hawaii for Biden.
What, did they get Hawaii wrong? Only CA had a larger percentage of Biden votes.
Have they called Alaska yet?
No. But then if you had the slightest interest in this election or more than 2 fucking brain cells you would know that or have the gumption to look it up.
EXCUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!!

MASSACHUSETTS had the largest percentage of Biden votes! 65.6%!!

:nana
~ Carl Sagan