2020 Election results

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

2020 Election results

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Dixville Notch in NH went 5 - 0 for Biden. I take some comfort from that. In 2016 they were 4 - 2 for Clinton; but they have been solidly R since 1972 (Nixon 16 McGovern 3) with the exception of 2008 when they went 15 - 6 for Obama over McCain. Steady leftwards drift in Dixville as the population plummets. Maybe it's just old hippies now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixville_ ... on_results

BoSoxGal

Re: 2020 Election results

Post by BoSoxGal »

Hey I already started this thread - America Revealed 2020. Could we combine them?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Sorry did not see that there was already a thread.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:23 pm
Sorry did not see that there was already a thread.
I started it right after they tallied the votes in Dixville Notch - you were probably getting your beauty sleep! :nana
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

anyone know of a good election results site?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... n-democrat
Crackpot wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:05 am
anyone know of a good election results site?
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Interesting that Fox News has called Arizona for Biden and CNN has not. So much for the leftist media.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

FOX is using AP, which has been ahead on the calls for Biden all night/day. The ‘liberal’ media is hesitant after the egg on face of 2016. And they have to dispel the ‘fake news’ narrative.

EXPLAINER: Why AP called Arizona for Biden

eta: I was wrong; FOX called AZ for Biden before AP.
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I wouldn't (didn't) have thought it at the beginning of the day but if they get enough votes to force both Georgia races into a run-off there still may be a chance to flip the senate.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Burning Petard

Re: 2020 Election results Senate

Post by Burning Petard »

Sadly it looks like a GOP majority in the Senate again. Worse, Mitchell was sent back to DC by his friends and neighbors.

If the past is prologue, Michell will refuse to let any presidential legislation pass, not even an appreciation that the value of pi is unchanged.

Very bad news for lower court judicial nominations from the president.

snailgate

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Cue the music for final Jeopardy . . . waiting, waiting.

Why can most states figure out how to have all of their basic vote counts done by Tuesday night, or Wednesday at the latest, and a few can't figure out this relatively simple task?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Long Run wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Why can most states figure out how to have all of their basic vote counts done by Tuesday night, or Wednesday at the latest, and a few can't figure out this relatively simple task?
Because Republican legislatures prevented them from processing millions of paper ballots before election day.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The stage to challenge this election - and potentially steal it - has been carefully planned and set.
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Sue U wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:20 pm
Long Run wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Because Republican legislatures prevented them from processing millions of paper ballots before election day.
Non-Republican legislatures too.

You are both missing that votes are still being counted across the country, but in the vast majority of the cases the remaining ballots will not change the outcome (Biden won by more than 2:1 in MA).

We don’t count early in MA and results are still unofficial and, as noted above, won’t change the presidential outcome. Many towns are still counting. Mailed ballots aren’t due to be received before tomorrow, so final counting happens next week.

In MA vote counting is required to be a public process where ballots are fed through the machines in a public setting (typically in a polling location or several). Machines cannot even be calibrated or operated anywhere but in the open. I’m fine with that.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Darren

Post by Darren »

Benford's Law applies.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

So does Murphy's Law.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:ok :lol:
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Biden now leading in Pennsylvania and Georgia. The fat lady is about to sing.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Trump has told people he has no plans to concede even if his path to victory is blocked

(CNN) — Facing a disappearing pathway to victory, President Donald Trump offered little indication on Friday he was prepared to concede defeat, leading those around him to wonder who might be able to reckon with a leader who has given virtually no thought to leaving the White House.

Even as vote totals now show him trailing former Vice President Joe Biden in key battlegrounds, Trump has not prepared a concession speech and in conversations with allies in recent days, he has said he has no intention of conceding the election, people familiar with the matter said.

So far he has been bolstered in his stance by those closest to him, including his senior advisers and his adult sons, who have mounted an aggressive effort in the courts to challenge the results and have pressured other Republicans into defending him.

Top aides, including his chief of staff Mark Meadows, have not attempted to come to terms with the President about the reality of what is happening. Instead, they have fed his baseless claim that the election is being stolen from underneath him.

Trump has acknowledged to some allies he recognizes the electoral math will not work in his favor, according to people familiar with the conversations, but has maintained that a prolonged court battle and corrosive rhetoric about election fraud would sow enough doubt to allow him to refuse to accept the results.

Some of the President's allies have grown concerned that someone will eventually have to reckon with him that his time in office is likely coming to an end. It is a possibility the President did not consider in a serious way during the election, despite polls showing him with only a narrow path to victory, believing that looking past Election Day was bad luck.

Biden takes the lead over Trump in critical Pennsylvania
The delicate matter of a loss -- and a potential post-presidential life -- was not discussed widely among his team and was not raised often with the President, who believed adamantly he would win.

Trump spent much of the campaign claiming Biden was the worst presidential candidate in history -- and suggesting that losing to him would amount to abject humiliation.

"Losing is never easy," he said at his campaign headquarters on Election Day. "Not for me, it's not."

Now, people around Trump are working to identify who might be able to communicate to him the stark reality. There has been talk of potentially Jared Kushner or Ivanka Trump, though it wasn't clear their willingness to act as leaders of a difficult intervention.

One idea being floated is framing potential conversations with Trump around the idea of preserving his brand for life after being president -- and explaining that dragging out an election he clearly lost would ruin his businesses and forestall whatever political future he's hoping for.

Before the election, Trump raised the prospect of running for President again in 2024 if he were to lose, though only in a joking manner. Even in likely loss, Trump garnered more votes than he did in 2016 and his future role as a Republican kingmaker seems secured -- though some fear a drawn out and ugly loss could damage his standing.

Trump has spent the days since election night ensconced at the White House, angrily phoning allies and demanding that more people come out to defend him. He has complained that his legal team is ill-prepared to wage an effective battle in courts, according to one person who spoke to him.

He sounded downtrodden during an evening statement from the White House on Thursday and departed the room without answering for his false claims about voter fraud.

In meetings with his team in the Oval Office and the White House residence, Trump has asked why more Republicans weren't coming out to allege voter irregularities or make the same claims he was making about votes being counted after Election Day.

He also pressed them into arranging a public statement, something he'd been itching to do since Wednesday. Aides had successfully stalled, believing anything the President said would damage his standing and make matters worse.

But after Biden spoke from near his home in Wilmington, Delaware, on Thursday afternoon, Trump insisted a statement be added for him to detail his legal case.

Afterward, several advisers said the performance was precisely what they'd hoped to avoid.
~ Carl Sagan