2020 Election results

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: 2020 Election results

Post by Bicycle Bill »

After re-reading my source (and a couple of others), I acknowledge my error and stand corrected.  I was under the assumption that he and his wife had turned in an absentee ballot ahead of time, and then on election day turned in a second ballot.

Which could possibly have been done.  Wisconsin allows for the issuance of a provisional ballot at the polling place on the day of election under certain, specific circumstances, such as:
  • 1)...you are eligible to vote and have a current and valid Wisconsin driver license or identification card, but you are unable or unwilling to list the number when you register.
    2)...you registered by mail as a first-time Wisconsin voter before April 4, 2014 but did not provide an identifying document establishing proof of residence at the time and you are unable to provide the required proof of residence at the polling place.
    3)...you are a registered voter and you are unable or unwilling to provide proof of identification.
The ballot is marked and accepted but not counted immediately.  Furthermore, the provisional ballot will NOT be counted unless the voter provides the required information to the poll workers by 8:00 p.m. on Election Day or the municipal clerk by 4:00 p.m. of the Friday following the election.

And just as a side note, after these past couple of COVID-era elections have brought to the forefront all the different ways there are for one to be able to cast their ballot (in addition to showing up in person on election day), it infuriates me even more that the total voter response is still more likely to fall in the 25-35% range.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

What Sue and Joe said. I think what's confusing Bill is the strange term "in-person absentee", which refers not to 2 votes but to 1 absentee ballot, returned in person rather than via mail. Illinois (and probably several other states) has a similar option, except that here we would have to bring in the absentee ballot to the polling place and EXCHANGE it for a (different) in-person ballot.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

An interesting article about Michigan’s role in this election.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... acy-440475
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Oh, hai you guys, the Third Circuit stopped by with its decision on Trump's appeal of Judge Brann's dismissal of the case he had filed in PA federal court -- you know, the one where Rudy Giuliani showed up to do a flaming shitshow of an oral argument. And guess what? No, really, this is hilarious! The opinion, written by a Trump appointee for an all-Republican three-judge panel is an amazing smackdown of the boneheaded legal arguments, basic procedural failings and general clownliness of the Trump Campaign's efforts.

You wanna know how brutal?

After ruling that the District Court properly dismissed Trump's lawsuit (p. 16), the court says:

"We could stop here."

O. M. G.

They *could,* but they are not gonna; they are gonna kick the ever-living shit out of this thing for another 5 pages.

Hello, police? I'd like to report a murder.
GAH!

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I read the opinion this morning. Agreed!
9CAD6582-4332-44EE-B645-46DD72946019.png
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I agree as well. It's good when judges take their job seriously.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

But, but, but... the kraken is coming, isn't it?

At least, that's what we keep hearing.

(besides crickets, that is)
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Did any of you catch this shitshow today? I’ve only caught clips so far, but it’s fucking maddening. Here’s the whole thing for anyone who wants to white knuckle through it.

This guy is seriously mentally ill. He’s trying to start a war with Iran on top of this! Why the fuck would anybody STILL want him leading this country?!?!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Ratty McRatFace Barr just finally jumped ship - declaring no evidence exists that would overturn the results of the election.

Hair Fuhrer’s gonna be maaaaaaaaad!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Bill Barr declares allegations of election fraud a complete nothingburger.

Trump has to know, that when the guy who had his tongue drilled deeper in Trump's ass than anyone else is telling him to hang it up, it's time.

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Not to worry, the grift will go on!

Honestly, how stupid are these people who are showering Trump with money? Isn't this guy supposed to be some kind of a billionaire? This is really just a flat-out fleecing of the rubes, shamelessly grabbing for every buck he can squeeze out of the MAGAbase.
Trump raises more than $150 million from supporters off false election claims

Author: Josh Dawsey, Michelle Ye Hee Lee, The Washington Post

WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump’s political operation has raised more than $150 million since Election Day, using a blizzard of misleading appeals about the election to shatter fundraising records set during the campaign, according to people with knowledge of the contributions.

The influx of political donations is one reason Trump and some allies are inclined to continue a legal onslaught and public affairs blitz focused on baseless claims of election fraud, even as their attempts have repeatedly failed in court and as key states continue to certify wins for President-elect Joe Biden.

Much of the money raised since the election probably will go into an account for the president to use on political activities after he leaves office, while some of the contributions will go toward what’s left of the legal fight.

The people with knowledge of the fundraising amounts spoke on the condition of anonymity to disclose internal numbers. The Trump campaign declined to comment.

The surge of donations is largely from small-dollar donors, campaign officials say, tapping into the president’s base of loyal and fervent donors who tend to contribute the most when they believe the president is under siege or facing unfair political attacks. The campaign has sent about 500 post-election fundraising pitches to donors, often with hyperbolic language about voter fraud and the like.

“I need you now more than ever,” says one recent email that claims to be from the president. “The Recount Results were BOGUS,” another email subject line reads.

“Our democracy and freedom is at risk like never before, which is why I’m reaching out to you now with an URGENT request,” reads an email to donors from Vice President Mike Pence. “President Trump and I need our STRONGEST supporters, like YOU, to join the Election Defense Task Force. This group will be responsible for DEFENDING the Election from voter fraud, and we really need you to step up to the front lines of this battle.”

The donations are purportedly being solicited for the Official Election Defense Fund, which is blazed in all red across the Trump campaign’s website, with an ominous picture of the president outside the White House.

There is no such account, however. The fundraising requests are being made by the Trump Make America Great Again Committee, a joint fundraising committee that raises money for the Trump campaign and the Republican National Committee (RNC). As of Nov. 18, that committee shares its funds with Save America, a new leadership PAC that Trump set up in early November and that he can use to fund his post-presidency activities.

The money raised since Nov. 3 is a massive haul for such a short period, especially after the election, when losing campaigns typically slow their fundraising operation. By comparison, the Trump Make America Great Again Committee raised $125 million in the second quarter of 2020, according to federal records. The campaign account’s best single month was September, when it raised $81 million, according to available data.
ADVERTISING

The contributions, from thousands of donors across the country, are split into several accounts, including the leadership PAC that is loosely regulated and could be used to personally benefit the president after he leaves the White House.

According to the fine print in the latest fundraising appeals, 75% of each contribution to the joint fundraising committee would first go toward the Save America leadership PAC and the rest would be shared with the party committee, to help with the party’s operating expenses. This effectively means that most low-dollar donations under the current agreement would go toward financing the president’s new leadership PAC, instead of efforts to support the party or to finance voting lawsuits.

“Small donors who give to Trump thinking they are financing an ‘official election defense fund’ are in fact helping pay down the Trump campaign’s debt or funding his post-presidential political operation,” said Brendan Fischer, who directs federal regulatory work at the Campaign Legal Center, which supports greater restrictions on the role of money in politics. “The average donor who gives in response to Trump’s appeal for funds to ‘stop the fraud’ likely doesn’t realize that their money is actually retiring Trump’s debt or funding his leadership PAC.”

Fischer said that “only bigger donors who’ve maxed-out to Trump’s campaign or the RNC will see any portion of their contribution go to dedicated recount or legal funds.”

“The RNC has spent tens of millions of dollars over the last two years funding legal efforts in multiple states, and we continue the fight for election integrity across the country,” RNC spokesperson Mike Reed said.

The leadership PAC could be spent, for example, to pay for events at his own properties, or to finance his travel or personal expenses. There are few limitations on how money going to the group can be spent.

On Nov. 18, the Trump Make America Great Again Committee struck a formal agreement with Save America, the Trump campaign and the RNC to raise money together through the joint fundraising committee and share the funds, according to federal records. By Nov. 19, the contribution share to Save America PAC had changed to 75% from 60% as it had been for more than a week, according to a review of the fundraising appeals.

Leadership PACs do not face the same restrictions on “personal use” expenses as candidate committees do. They were established to allow members of Congress to raise money for their allies on Capitol Hill through fundraising vehicles separate from their campaign committees. The money is often used for what is called donor cultivation: feting wealthy supporters in the hopes that they will write big checks back to the leadership PAC and other committees.

Source: WaPo, via ADN.
GAH!

dales

Post by dales »

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Gob

Post by Gob »

aka "the USA" :lol:
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

TO DARREN —
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:49 pm
Darren wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:26 pm
If you win I'll send you a cashiers check made out in the amount of the bet to the charity of your choice.

If I win make the check out to the Gun Owners of America. I'll PM you my address. I'll take a personal check.
Accepted.  Fifty bucks.  Like I said, BikeFed Wisconsin can use the money.
Or, if you insist on it being a national organization, I've got another bike-related group waiting in the wings.

So what will be the deciding factor?  The date Trump concedes :lol: ; the date the Electoral College votes; the day the EC results are certified; or Inauguration Day when Biden will actually take the oath of office?
Yesterday was "safe harbor" day ...
A deadline set Tuesday under federal law essentially locks in President-elect Joe Biden’s victory, even though President Donald Trump is still falsely claiming he won reelection.  Other than Wisconsin, every state appears to have met the safe harbor deadline, which means Congress has to accept the electoral votes that will be cast next week and sent to the Capitol for counting on Jan. 6. Those votes will elect Biden as the country’s next president.

It’s called a safe harbor provision because it’s a kind of insurance policy by which a state can insulate its electoral votes against challenges in Congress by finishing up certification of the results and any state court legal challenges by the deadline, which this year is Tuesday.

“What federal law requires is that if a state has completed its post-election certification by Dec. 8, Congress is required to accept those results,” said Rebecca Green, an election law professor at the William & Mary law school in Williamsburg, Virginia.
So even without Wisconsin's 10 Electoral College votes (and assuming that through some sort of chicanery those ten votes were eventually awarded to Trump), that still gives Biden 296 votes in the Electoral College.  It takes 270 to win, so that's still a margin of 26.

Do you want to acknowledge that you've lost the bet(s) now, or do you insist on playing out the string?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

He's waiting for the faithless electors to strike. Or the coup. Otherwise, it appears he's running out of any options. What do you bet we don' hear from him until he figures everyone forgot about the bets?

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:38 pm
TO DARREN —Do you want to acknowledge that you've lost the bet(s) now, or do you insist on playing out the string?
Will you to accept the Electoral College vote on Monday, or will you wait for the Congressional count/certification of the EC votes on January 6, or will you insist on waiting until Biden is sworn in at his inauguration on January 20? Your choice, Darren: I'll be patient...but I won't forget, and I won't let you forget, that we've got 2 separate $100 bets riding on this—one on the national election and one on the Pennsylvania election.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

Violence has broken out in the streets of Washington DC after far-right groups clashed with counter-protesters in the aftermath of a march by conservatives protesting against US president-elect Joe Biden’s election victory.

The trouble flared as darkness fell and crowds began to disperse in the wake of a largely peaceful demonstration on Saturday by Trump supporters who allege without evidence that the 3 November election was tainted by fraud.

Groups of pro-Trump Proud Boys protesters and Antifa counterprotesters brawled in the city’s downtown streets and although police used pepper spray on members of both sides, the rivals regrouped and violence continued sporadically.

Four people were taken to hospital with stab wounds with potentially life-threatening injuries, according to the Washington Post, which quoted DC fire spokesman, Doug Buchanan. Police said 23 people were arrested.

An estimated 200 members of the Proud Boys, a violent far-right group, had joined the marches earlier on Saturday near the Trump hotel in the capital. Mixing with church groups who urged the faithful to participate in “Jericho Marches” and prayer rallies for the defeated president, the Proud Boys contingent wore combat fatigues and ballistic vests, carried helmets and flashed hand signals used by white nationalists.

More...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”