Insurrectionists have breached the Capitol

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Insurrectionists have breached the Capitol

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Crackpot wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:14 pm
What a bunch of over emotional crap. Not that I’m feeling especially balanced at the moment but this tit for tat bullshit isn’t helping anyone.
What Crackpot said.  This would just mean that anytime the political power shifted from one party to another, most of the political activity would be to reverse/undo whatever the other guys did.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I just heard that Twitter has suspended Trump's account. His face is probably turning burnt orange right about now.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

We don't need martyrs.
Agreed. There is no more effective recruiting tool than a few pools of blood. Time (3 years and 11 1/2 months too late, but we'll take it) for Pence, Pompeo, et al to plead the 25th, Section 4.

CNN is saying that Trump did not encourage this. Yes; in the same way that Henry II did not ask for the murder of Becket. Mob bosses have long known how to get their way.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Econoline wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:10 am
I know...it's almost like white people don't fear being executed for not complying with lawful police orders. ;)
Ugh ugh ugh ugh gah!
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:17 am
What Crackpot said. This would just mean that anytime the political power shifted from one party to another, most of the political activity would be to reverse/undo whatever the other guys did.
That is quite literally all that the last four years have been about. Haven't you been paying attention??
GAH!

liberty

Post by liberty »

Crackpot wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:45 pm
You don’t change minds by belittling people there is now a sizable chunk of our population that is so fucking damaged that they think the shit happening in our capital is a good thing and a sizable portion can’t be dismissed as “deplorables”. We need to focus on what unites us because if we don’t this country will fLl apart.
Well putting rhetoric aside, I can agree with that, but the problem is we want different things. To me, liberty and freedom is the most important thing. The founder felt the same way that is why they put so many safeguards in the constitution. I don’t want to lose any of them, whether it is the Electoral College, the Second Amendment, or the president’s powers of pardon. But that is not the case with liberals. Hell, I have heard that some liberals want to do away with the US Senate.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Sue

No shit does that make it right?!
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Crackpot wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:51 pm
He is only a symptom not the problem.
He is both.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

rubato

Post by rubato »

Scooter wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:37 pm
At the very least they could have used tear gas. You know, like they use on Black protestors doing nothing illegal in order to clear a path for the Orange Man's photo op.

They use pepper spray and pepper balls on white protesters all the time. At the Portland riots for example.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Guinevere wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:58 am
Crackpot wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:51 pm
He is only a symptom not the problem.
He is both.
Bacteria is the problem but the result is the carbuncle.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:23 am
CNN is saying that Trump did not encourage this. Yes; in the same way that Henry II did not ask for the murder of Becket. Mob bosses have long known how to get their way.
I don’t know how they can say that, he stood on the Mall and encouraged the crowd to storm the Capitol. He didn’t say storm he said march I think? This was right after he heard his personal attorney tell the crowd to have a trial by combat.

He encouraged it. He loved it. It was quite probably the very happiest moment of his entire life - his adoring masses trying to burn down a country for him. The ultimate egomaniacal thrill.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

Both the antifa assholes and the Trump assholes need to be prosecuted and punished and imprisoned together. Both hate democracy and both are trying to destroy civil society.

yrs,
rubato

dales

Post by dales »

Rube - it's great to see you here again!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Indeed, we were all wondering if you were ok.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

rubato

Post by rubato »

Hilary conceded defeat with dignity and grace. Biden presided over the vote certification honestly and without drama.

That is how Democrats and Liberals are different from Republicans.

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:33 am
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:23 am
I don’t know how they can say that, he stood on the Mall and encouraged the crowd to storm the Capitol. He didn’t say storm he said march I think? This was right after he heard his personal attorney tell the crowd to have a trial by combat.

He encouraged it. He loved it. It was quite probably the very happiest moment of his entire life - his adoring masses trying to burn down a country for him. The ultimate egomaniacal thrill.
I could have been clearer. CNN was quoting one of his supporters, not reporting that Trump was not encouraging the crowd.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Well, it's about time!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:33 am
Sue

No shit does that make it right?!
Elections are what we have instead of revolutions, When an election shows a mandate from the people to make changes, changes rightly should be made. Obama was elected and reelected with a substantial mandate.

Yet the entire single-minded focus of Trump and his administration was to literally undo every single accomplishment and initiative of the Obama administration solely because it had Obama's signature on it, and public policy be damned. Trump had no mandate to make these kinds of reversals: he lost the popular vote by 3 million and was elected by a fluke of our fucked-up electoral college system. In fact, the Trump administration's "policies," such as they were, were loudly repudiated by the 2018 midterms that crushed the GOP. And they have been repudiated again in 2020, this time with Trump losing the popular vote by more than 7 million votes and losing soundly in the electoral college as well.

The 2020 election (and yesterday's GA Senate run-off) represent the American people demanding that Trump and his shenanigans be put out and things be put right. I have no problem in seeing to it that they actually get what they voted for.
GAH!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

6 - 93 on the objection to Arizona's EVs. Ouch. We'll see who continues to embarrass themselves by making further objections.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

dales

Post by dales »

Let's not forget West VA!
West Virginia delegate records himself storming U.S. Capitol

Associated Press
Jan. 6, 2021
Updated: Jan. 6, 2021 6:32 p.m.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — A West Virginia lawmaker recorded video of himself and fellow supporters of President Donald Trump storming the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, triggering calls for his resignation.

In the video by Republican Del. Derrick Evans, later deleted from his social media page, he is shown wearing a helmet and clamoring at the door to breach in after Congress met for an expected vote to affirm Democrat Joe Biden's election victory.

“We’re in! Keep it moving, baby!” he said in a packed doorway amid Trump followers holding flags and complaining of being pepper sprayed. Once inside, Evans could be seen on video milling around the Capitol Rotunda, where historical paintings depict the republic’s founding, and yelled “no vandalizing.”

More than 3,000 people have signed an online petition calling for him to be removed from office.

The speaker of the state House of Delegates, Roger Hanshaw, said Evans will need to “answer to his constituents and colleagues regarding his involvement in what has occurred today.”

A House spokesman, Jared Hunt, told The Associated Press that Hanshaw is still “gathering as much information possible about what has happened, and will evaluate all the potential consequences once the totality of the situation is understood.” Hanshaw had said in his statement he hadn't spoken to Evans yet.

“While free speech and peaceful protests are a core value of American society, storming government buildings and participating in a violent intentional disruption of one of our nation’s most fundamental political institutions is a crime that should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” Hanshaw said.

Democratic leaders said Evans “should immediately resign” and “be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law" for being part of a violent mob.

“He must be held accountable for participating in an act of insurrection against the United States government and risking the lives of lawmakers and Capitol police,” Belinda Biafore, chair of the West Virginia Democratic party, and Rod Snyder, vice chair, said in a joint statement.

Evans was elected in November to a first term to represent Wayne County. He said in a statement later on Facebook that he was heading back to West Virginia and “was simply there as an independent member of the media to film history.

Video shows him chanting Trump’s name before entering the Capitol building.

Evans was among thousands of Trump supporters who traveled to the nation’s capital to protest the results of the Electoral College on Tuesday and Wednesday. Their anger over baseless claims of fraud in the presidential race led to hundreds storming and occupying the Capitol building, interrupting the expected vote to certify Biden's victory.

“The violence that we are witnessing right now in Washington, D.C. is absolutely unacceptable and I condemn it in the strongest possible terms,” Republican Gov. Jim Justice said in a tweet. “People have every right to have their voices heard peacefully. But there is no place in our country for this type of activity.”

The state's U.S. senators said they were safe in Washington. Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin called it an insurrection. “These thugs cannot and will not run us off,” he said in a statement. "We will continue to govern.”

Republican Sen. Shelley Moore Capito also lamented the protest.

“This is the United States of America," she said in a statement. “We don’t do this. It’s not who we are.”

Republican U.S. Rep. Alex Mooney tweeted a picture of himself holding an escape hood, adding that he was safe after the Capitol was breached.

In the lead up to Congress certifying the Electoral College vote, the West Virginia GOP on Twitter amplified falsehoods that Biden didn't win the election. After the attack on the Capitol, the party's account retweeted a video from Trump where he told his “very special” supporters to go home.

Trump said “we have to have peace,” but not without repeating baseless claims the election was stolen.

___

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Crackpot wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:14 pm
What a bunch of over emotional crap. Not that I’m feeling especially balanced at the moment but this tit for tat bullshit isn’t helping anyone.
Democrats never hold the Republicans responsible for their actions, and never give them consequences for their actions, so the Republicans push a little more each year and test the limits of what they can get away with, and it's finally come to this.

No more of this "let bygones be bygones" crap. We've seen how far it's gotten, and if this goes unpunished, next time will be even worse, because Republicans won't stop testing the limits of what they can get away with.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God