Insurrectionists have breached the Capitol

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Crackpot

Re: Insurrectionists have breached the Capitol

Post by Crackpot »

One would hope that they would reflect on this event and emerge a little wiser, but, I doubt it will happen.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I hope for some it will; I can recall a time when anger and frustration swelled inside me and I almost followed the crowd to violence and destruction. I even seriously entertained the thought that everything else was broken and violence would be the only way to achieve our desired ends, but happily I talked myself out of it (or maybe I was too much of a coward to stand up on principles). But it is inherently an emotional response and some people permit their emotions to rule them (and others cannot do otherwise); those are the people who ill never learn.

I sincerely hope some of the people who acted like asses Wednesday will acquire some deliberative ability and "emerge a little wiser."

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I do apologize
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I love the Lego founding fathers in the painting on the wall! :lol:

Very unfunny.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

So apparently the Capitol police rejected offers of national guard presence Wednesday because they didn’t want the optics - and now we’ve seen the consequences of that massive blunder and their failure to take seriously the massive chatter on Parler and 4chan planning the insurrection.

Well over there on crazy right wing social media they’re angry at Trump’s long overdue concession call for reconciliation and orderly transition of power and they’re calling for war in DC on January 20.

So now there will be 6300 national guard from 6 states in DC on January 20, along with who knows how many federal law enforcement officers from the 13 agencies with a presence in the District. The optics are gonna be terrific, whether or not more crazed Trump cultists descend on the city.

What a sad manifestation of the ounce of prevention/pound of cure aphorism.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The Capitol Invaders Enjoyed the Privilege of Not Being Taken Seriously

By the end of the day, we knew remarkably little, but we knew this: the Capitol Police had been woefully unprepared for an invasion that had been easy to predict—that had, in fact, been virtually declared by the man with the world’s biggest megaphone. There had been violence, destruction of government property, tear gas, stun grenades, and gunshots. As of Wednesday night, four people were known to have died, one of them shot by the police. Fifty-two people were known to have been arrested, out of several thousand who had stormed the building.

It was an attack without precedent but with many reference points. During the Black Lives Matter protests this past spring, National Guard troops in combat gear stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial three lines deep. Around the same time, U.S. Park Police tear-gassed nonviolent protesters in Lafayette Square, in Washington, D.C. The Capitol Police made more arrests on each of the first three days of the confirmation hearings for Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, in September, 2018, than they did Wednesday. The protesters at those hearings—most of them women, many self-identified survivors of sexual assault—were arrested for transgressions such as shouting out from the gallery, “Kavanaugh can’t be trusted!” On Wednesday, the writer Sarah Schulman posted a picture on Facebook with the caption “In 1982 I disrupted Congress to protest an anti-abortion bill, was arrested on the spot with five other women, taken to jail and had an 11 day jury trial.”

In the picture, Schulman is with several other protesters. She is holding a sign that says “We demand abortion rights, end to sterilization abuse, lesbian rights, quality child care.” It looks like many photographs from decades before and since: protesters, often women, dressed appropriately for admission to the Capitol, holding signs that seek to communicate a message. Wednesday’s images are of thugs vandalizing the Capitol: the ransacked office of the Senate parliamentarian; a man sitting with his boots on a desk; another carrying a lectern; another carrying a Confederate flag; a group of white invaders chasing a Black police officer through the building. Over and over, after escaping from the chamber, senators praised the staffer or staffers who’d had the wherewithal to carry the boxes containing the official electoral-vote submissions from the states out of the chamber with them. The senators seemed convinced that the invaders would have burned the ballots. This is a key distinction between protesters who have been arrested in the Capitol in the past and Wednesday’s invaders, most of whom were not arrested: the protesters of the past wanted to disrupt proceedings by appealing to members of Congress publicly and attracting media attention, in the hopes that Congress would do its job differently; the invaders wanted to prevent members of Congress from doing their jobs at all, and to destroy any part of the machinery of American democracy that they could get their hands on.

I can think of only two explanations for why the Capitol Police failed to prepare appropriately or to respond forcefully. One is that they were in cahoots with the invaders. The other is that they did not take them seriously, which is to say, did not fear them. I will dismiss the first hypothesis because it’s a conspiracy theory. Evidence for the second hypothesis, however, is abundant, and it extends beyond the Capitol Police.

After several hours in hiding, the senators and representatives returned to their halls, and to the task they’d had before they were forced to shelter under their desks and evacuate the room while the police struggled to keep the doors barricaded with furniture. There were rumblings and rumors: Will the House see a new motion to impeach? Are Cabinet members talking about invoking the Twenty-fifth Amendment to remove Donald Trump from office? But members of Congress seemed too busy to contemplate the problem of a deranged, desperate aspiring despot who remains President and Commander-in-Chief. (Asked by the HuffPost reporter Igor Bobic about both possibilities, Senator Mitt Romney, the only consistent Trump critic among Republicans in the chamber, said, “I think we’ve got to hold our breath for the next twenty days.”)

One could hypothesize that all the senators and representatives, including the more than a hundred of them who continued to try to sabotage the Presidential vote-certification process, were putting on a brave face. But bravery does not look like an absence of fear. Bravery would have been acknowledging the danger that was evident to so many people outside those chambers—the millions glued to their TV screens, the talk-show hosts who grew increasingly incredulous about the business-as-usual atmosphere as the night wore on—and addressing it. But, like the police who made such a sad showing of protecting them, the members of Congress simply didn’t appear to be afraid.

I have thought about lack of fear a lot. When I still lived in Moscow, journalists who had access to the Kremlin often chided me for taking Putin and his goons too seriously. They didn’t exactly deny that he could have people killed and probably did, or that he was building a dictatorship. They just thought I was making too much of it. It took me a long time to understand that this wasn’t because these men knew more than I did, or even thought they knew more. It was precisely because they shared a world with Putin and his men and saw them as normal, as part of their community. We do not fear those whom we see as being like us; we fear the other.

Black Lives Matter protesters are other to the Capitol Police. So are survivors of sexual assault or women who protest for the right to choose. But an armed mob storming the Capitol, and their Instigator-in-Chief, are, apparently, familiar enough to be dismissed as clowns. (Some of them, in their face paint and strange headgear, even seemed to embrace their identification as clowns.) The invaders may be full of contempt for a system that they think doesn’t represent them, but on Wednesday they managed to prove that it does. The system, which shrugged off their violence like it had been a toddler’s tantrum, represents them. It’s the rest of us it’s failing to protect.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Son of a judge. Just sayin'

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Another guy in animal pelts! I don't get it -- what's it supposed to mean? Am I supposed to understand the symbolism? *Is* there some symoblism? I'm so lost with this! I'm even more confused by this than I was with David S. Pumpkins!
GAH!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Sue U wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:10 pm
Another guy in animal pelts! I don't get it -- what's it supposed to mean? Am I supposed to understand the symbolism? *Is* there some symoblism? I'm so lost with this! I'm even more confused by this than I was with David S. Pumpkins!
Maybe it's meant to trigger the liberal snowflakes who are anti-fur vegans who are against animal exploitation of any kind.
Or maybe he thinks he's Davy Crockett and able to 'live off the land' when the collapse comes — you know, "A country boy can survive" kinda thing.
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Judging by the tone on right wing social media, and the fact that he just announced he’s attending the inauguration, Mike Pence is probably going to have to look over his shoulder the rest of his life.

Do VPs also get lifelong Secret Service protection?
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:07 pm
Or maybe he thinks he's Davy Crockett and able to 'live off the land' when the collapse comes — you know, "A country boy can survive" kinda thing.
Country boy? This guy who's from Brooklyn and the son of a judge? What, he's trapping fur in Prospect Park? Meshuggeneh kopf.
GAH!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Sue U wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:02 am
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:07 pm
Country boy? This guy who's from Brooklyn and the son of a judge? What, he's trapping fur in Prospect Park? Meshuggeneh kopf.
I didn't say he WAS Davy Crockett; he merely THINKS he is.  Sort of like one of the posters here who insists that as long as he's got a squirrel gun and enough ammo he can hold out against damn near anything.

The guy might also be into furry cosplay.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Jacob Angeli Chansley is one of the MAGA rioters wanted by DC police for his part in storming the Capitol building on Wednesday

He was part of a Trump supporting mob, that also included Proud Boys and white supremacists, who broke into the building
DailyMail.com can reveal that Chansley has been living with his mother Martha, 56, since January 2019
He had been booted out of his $899-a-month apartment in Phoenix, Arizona, owing $1,247 in rent arrears
The 33-year-old has no job and, say neighbors, is often seen wandering the streets near her $199,000 Glendale home dressed in his horned shaman get-up
His Hyundai car is plastered with conspiracy slogans and has a bumper sticker that reads ‘WQKE’
Chansley has repeatedly turned up to protests across Arizona, among them one in July where he filmed himself ranting that Covid-19 is a hoax
In September, he led a protest where he rambled about child abusers and claimed a spiral sign close to the bathrooms is actually ‘an FBI pedophile code’
He was also part of a rowdy crowd of Trump supporters chanting ‘Stop the Steal’ who showed up at a tabulation center in Maricopa County on November 5
135736542_3924400957590938_343132791926647074_n.jpg
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

What's the difference between the US Capitol Building and Mordor?

One does not simply walk into Mordor...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:55 am
It was just announced on MSNBC that a Capitol police officer has died. Yesterday was when I’d heard in some of the hours of coverage I watched that one of the media correspondents in the Capitol was asserting a Capitol police officer was assaulted and taken to hospital in critical condition.

So yes there was an inaccurate report and it seems the most recent reporting is that he’s on life support waiting for family to be with him when he dies. He was hit with a fire extinguisher, it seems, and had a stroke.

A Capitol Police officer who was seriously injured Wednesday remains on life support

Worth mentioning that the report also says other Capitol POs were hospitalized.

Fucking terrorists. Fucking MAGAts/maggots.
Another Capitol Police officer has died of unrelated causes while off duty.  This was, of course, duly reported; I just wonder how many people will read through it far enough to learn that this was unrelated to anything that happened on Wednesday.
“The United States Capitol Police is deeply saddened by the off-duty death on January 9, 2021, of Officer Howard Liebengood,” the agency said. “He was assigned to the Senate Division, and has been with the Department since April 2005. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and colleagues.” The Capitol Police did not link Howard Liebengood’s death while off duty to Wednesday’s deadly insurrection on Capitol Hill.
But I did find this to be yet another indication of just how unfeeling, uncaring, and just plain fucke up Trump has become since the elections:
USCP earlier announced the death of Officer Brian Sicknick, who was killed after confronting the mob of rioters who raided the U.S. Capitol Wednesday.  The U.S. Capitol is flying its flags at half-staff in Sicknick’s honor, which the White House has so far refused to do.
-"BB"-

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I read a report, similar to BB above about another Capital police office who died, not related to the invasion. BUT ! cause of death was very carefully not specified. If it was self-inflicted, and only if, or it was a heart attack or stroke, I think it was related. But I am judging on very slight information and lots of personal prejudice.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

He killed himself. I highly doubt that it was entirely unrelated to the horrifically traumatic events of Wednesday in which one of his colleagues was murdered and many more suffered injuries requiring hospitalization.

The USCP line officers were failed by their leadership, and that failure led to them failing at the core mission of protecting the Capitol building and all its inhabitants. Further investigation may or may not reveal that some number of the force was complicit in the insurrection, but even if none were, what I know of law enforcement officers and their psychology I would assume that many of the force are likely in emotional agony over the trauma and shame of the event.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:53 pm
He killed himself. I highly doubt that it was entirely unrelated to the horrifically traumatic events of Wednesday in which one of his colleagues was murdered and many more suffered injuries requiring hospitalization.

The USCP line officers were failed by their leadership, and that failure led to them failing at the core mission of protecting the Capitol building and all its inhabitants. Further investigation may or may not reveal that some number of the force was complicit in the insurrection, but even if none were, what I know of law enforcement officers and their psychology I would assume that many of the force are likely in emotional agony over the trauma and shame of the event.
From "various sources", including the Baltimore Sun and Twitter posts on the accounts of people such as Chris Marquette (Congressional ethics/House GOP leadership reporter at Roll Call) and Rep Andy Levine (D-MI):
A Capitol Police officer who responded to the deadly riots in Washington last week died by an apparent suicide on Saturday, according to multiple news reports, as the department struggles to fully recover from the devastating and destructive siege carried out by pro-Trump extremists.

Howard B. Liebengood, 51, worked in the Senate Division and had been assigned with the force since April 2005.  He is the son of the late Sergeant of Arms Howard S. Liebengood, who died in 2005.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/howard-liebengood-officer-who-defended-capitol-at-dc-riots-dies-by-apparent-suicide-reports-say?ref=home
While they were careful to tap-dance around the actual reason he took his own life, I note that he was at the Capitol during the occupation, and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if something like BSG referred to — a form of PTSD, if you will — wasn't a significant contributory factor.
-"BB"-

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I guess you have me on "Ignore"?
Econoline wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:21 pm
Kristallnacht...and the Sword of Conan

Too bad we can't send a Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 Terminator back to 1945 to cut off Fred Trump's balls.

Edit: the video is now up on YouTube, so I replaced the link with the embedded video.

(BTW...is it possible on this site to somehow embed a video that's
NOT on YouTube?)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God