A Real Patriot

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

A Real Patriot

Post by BoSoxGal »

I don’t care for the game or his sour puss, but I very much admire that New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick just turned down the Presidential Medal of Freedom over the insurrection and Trump’s part in it.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: A Real Patriot

Post by Bicycle Bill »

According to what I saw elsewhere, Trump has awarded this medal 24 times so far during his presidency (Belichick would have been #25).  Fourteen of those (or roughly 60%) went to sports figures.

Here's a quick link to Wikipedia for the list of persons to whom Trump has presented this medal.  A rough breakdown shows that
● one went to a notable entertainer who arguably deserved it (Elvis Presley),
● fourteen went to sports figures, a few of whom (Alan Page, Babe Ruth, Babe Didrikson Zaharias, and possibly Roger Staubach, if for no other reason than he got his education at the US Naval Academy but fulfilled his four-year military obligation, including a tour in Viet Nam, before turning his hand to pro football) could also present a good case for being so honored — although I must note that of the others, three are/were golfers, Trump's game of choice, and
● nine went to people based on political affiliations or actions, including Miriam Adelson, an Israeli/American whose Wikipedia entry lists her as
"an Israeli American political donor known for her support for Donald Trump.  Educated as a physician, she married American business magnate Sheldon Adelson in 1991, and has since become known as a donor to right-wing political causes in the United States.  Adelson and her husband were the largest donors of Donald Trump throughout his presidency; they provided the largest donation to his 2016 campaign, his presidential inauguration, his defense fund against the Mueller investigation into Russian interference, and the 2020 campaign."
— which to me is clearly an example of quid pro quo — and a couple of conservative mouthpieces such as Rush Limbaugh and a former 4-star general who went on to become a 'national security advisor for Fox News', one of Trump's go-to news outlets before the bloom went off of that rose.

Kudos to Belichick for turning his back on Trump.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Guinevere

Re: A Real Patriot

Post by Guinevere »

Grumpy waters run deep....
601B5467-DCE0-4F18-9F2D-A4639BAB3D8C.jpeg
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké