How to know when the insurrection starts.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!

How many have read the book Unintended Consequences?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 4

Darren

Re: How to know when the insurrection starts.

Post by Darren »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:13 am
I agree with dale. But I think people from other states should stay away from here. It's dangerous to those who aren't experienced Californians. It's filled with liberal censoring evil techies who will use the internet to turn you into a communist.
Given the U-Haul issues I don't think you have anything to be concerned about on that one.

I recently read an article that mirrored your statement. I'm not sure it was a good summary.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

So trying to find the book referenced (citations are always helpful), I ended up down a rabbit hole that led me here

Thanks for another window into the disturbed right wing of America. Since I’m home 80% of the time and not a lot on my plate, I’m making it my new purpose to lurk on right wing message boards and send tips to the FBI.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:42 pm
So trying to find the book referenced (citations are always helpful), I ended up down a rabbit hole that led me here

Thanks for another window into the disturbed right wing of America. Since I’m home 80% of the time and not a lot on my plate, I’m making it my new purpose to lurk on right wing message boards and send tips to the FBI.
Don't be distracted by poodle shooter aficionados.

Go ahead and tip the FBI. Keep in mind they could have stopped 9/11 and the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting if they'd acted on tips.

This is an example of what the FBI will never catch. It's legal to make and own. I suspect railroad maintenance workers and ironworkers have some they saved from work. Cadwelding is well known by craftworkers.

Darren

Post by Darren »

1950's advertisement. Order through the mail.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Darren wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:22 am
Big RR wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:30 pm
I thought they investigated potential acts of domestic terrorism.
Read the link; they concluded it was not terrorism. You know differently.? Maybe you should contact the FBI and give them the evidence.
I wish I was as self-assured as you. From my pov a federal agency's criteria is meaningless when infrastructure is destroyed.
No self assurance here; I have no independent knowledge of the event, so all I can do is accept the conclusion of investigators. I can think of a lot of ways infrastructure can be damaged or destroyed that are not terrorism; but if you have more substantiated information, please post it.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Gosh, a puny 20mm. Back in the day, you know when Nixon was hiding under the desk in the Oval Office, instructions for a do-it-yourself 81mm Mortar were easy to come by. Ammo for that is not hard to get now on the black market. This is the one weapon that is used almost universally by every army on the planet. Something, somewhere, is always falling off the back of the truck.

snailgate

Darren

Post by Darren »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:44 pm
Gosh, a puny 20mm. Back in the day, you know when Nixon was hiding under the desk in the Oval Office, instructions for a do-it-yourself 80mm Mortar were easy to come by. Ammo for that is not hard to get now on the black market. This is the one weapon that is used almost universally by every army on the planet. Something, somewhere, is always falling off the back of the truck.

snailgate
I took lots of classes as a first responder to get certified in one thing or another. Some of the classes were safety classes as in how do you recognize a situation where you need someone with expertise you don't have. I never took the meth lab class but I recognize the smell.

The class which was fun and games for practicals was explosives recognition.

Det cord and C4 was used to blow up cars in order to know how to check a car that been blown up. The stories told by the instructors are what's relevant now.

Stuff falling off the truck is what those focused on the ownership of AR15s miss.

The stuff the instructor personally "touched" was WW II Japanese hand grenades, live Claymore mines the army claimed weren't missing and explosives found in magazines at abandoned mines. All of that and more can be added to the thermite and heavy weapons the federal government is powerless to stop.

None of the hunters I know own an AR15. Wild boar is not a problem. If you live in a southern state then yes hunters use AR15s constantly to help lower the damage to agricultural property and crops. Wild hogs are a serious problem.

What about the other stuff that makes a bigger bang than an AR15 poodle shooter. That should be a concern. That's were the book Unintended Consequences is relevant today.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Darren wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:38 pm
How many believe the federal government is universally competent?
:shrug I dunno.

How many believe the federal government is universally incompetent?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Darren wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:40 pm
1950's advertisement. Order through the mail.
Seem to remember from articles at the time that this was the same way Lee Harvey got that surplus Italian rifle he shot Kennedy with.  Cost him less that $20.00 in 1963 dollars.
Magazine advertisement through which Oswald purchased the rifle (left column, third from top). The ad photo actually shows a telescopically modified Carcano TS, but by the time Oswald used the ad to order the "6.5 Italian Carbine", Klein's was shipping Carcano Model 91/38's. Thus, Oswald received the latter model.
Might also be interesting to note that the ad he ordered it from was in the February 1963 issue of "American Rifleman" magazine ... the official journal of the National Rifle Association.  So the next time someone asks you, "Who killed JFK?", tell them it was the NRA.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Darren

Post by Darren »

Scooter wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:06 am
That's the point Scooter. The government is preparing for mass disobedience. That won't happen. Instead the possibility of Nashvilles may have increased. The federal government reacted to 9/11 by passing the Patriot Act.

Have you ever wondered with the massive surveillance by the NSA and the tips to the FBI how 9/11 happened? The answer is incompetence.

The ATF reduced the number of agents inspecting firearms dealers' records from 2,000 to 1,000. The Las Vegas shooter had 15 AR15s. Who needs 15 AR15s?

During his attack he fired shots at a large fuel tank. One shot penetrated. Since it was a diesel fuel tank nothing happened. If it had been a propane tank nothing would have happened either. Gasoline might have been different. I'm not sure.

Almost 600 were killed or injured. What was his beef? What has the federal government done to prevent that from happening again?

What will the federal government do if millions die?

What's the likelihood one or more of the 80 million Trump voters decide to do something if the Biden administration takes steps to "solve" problems that someone feels is the straw that broke the camel's back?

That's when the book becomes relevant.

The problem isn't the social media and blogger faux, look at me, tough talking internet warrior. The problem is the ones who have had the ability to cause mass casualty events but never had the motivation or inclination. They may or may not use the internet much.

The problem isn't the rifle behind each blade of grass. It's the blade of grass that looks like every other blade of grass that's the problem.

It's not the needle in the haystack. It's the piece of hay that looks like every other piece of hay.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Darren wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:36 pm
Look, a squirrel!
Just figured I'd cut through all the bullshit to what you're trying to do here.

-- Author unknown

Darren

Needs killing.

Post by Darren »

What would one of those blades of grass look like?

Would it be one or more of the 15 million who bought hunting licenses? Who owns the half billion firearms in the country? Certainly it's not only the 15 million who hunt. Simple math proves that.

First neither Biden nor Harris will be assassinated. The Secret Service had technology in the 90s that stopped a major avenue of attack. I have to expect they've gotten, thankfully, even better technology since.

During monthly fire dept. meetings I mostly listened. I'm not a hunter nor do I have a cache of weaponry. I briefly started gunsmithing in the last century as a way to pay for machine tools so I'm familiar with firearms.

Many of the conversations during the meetings centered around hunting deer. One favored a .22-250 for the reach. Another liked his .270. The other always went for a shoulder abusing magnum and the highest magnification scope he could get. I suspect he was the least accurate shot of the three.

None of them owned AR15s. Those are simply irrelevant to their needs so why waste the money? None of them had a need for any testosterone driven display of machoness. None of them drove jacked up pickup trucks. What they drove was pretty humdrum but suitable for their uses.

The most interesting aspect of the conversations was the killing. One described the murder of a ne'er-do-well who was caught in the act of stealing a truck. The sheriff declined to investigate even though the corpse was riddled from the shots fired by five men. He needed killing. Nothing to see. The sheriff moved along to more important business.

Another was the complaints about the neighbor who constantly trespassed to poach deer. That stopped the day the neighbor opened the gate, looked up and saw the rifle pointed at him. He closed the gate, turned and walked away. He was a member of a family that was known for drug dealing but somehow never came to the "attention" of the law.

Corruption was rife in the county. You could deal drugs if you were connected. There was no hunting accident that day. The man died about a year ago of natural causes in case you're worried about him.

What's the point? Will any of the three cause a mass casualty incident? They have the knowledge due to their work. Based on my close association they aren't the blades of grass to be concerned about.

Which blade of grass will initiate the chain of events that will kill millions?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Darren wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:36 pm
Have you ever wondered with the massive surveillance by the NSA and the tips to the FBI how 9/11 happened? The answer is incompetence.

The ATF reduced the number of agents inspecting firearms dealers' records from 2,000 to 1,000. The Las Vegas shooter had 15 AR15s. Who needs 15 AR15s?
Who indeed?  I've been asking a version of that question for years; maybe not specifically targeting one specific type of weapon (the AR-15 and its clones), but high-capacity semi-automatic weapons in general.  Who needs something like that?

And if one does get past the 'it looks scary so it must be bad' mindset of so many people when it comes to military-appearance rifles, the question of 'just how many of these does one person need?' still stands.  But I dassn't dare say anything like that. The second amendment, according to some people, means you can have (or should be allowed to have) as many of whatever kind of bang-sticks you want and can afford — no restriction whatsoever. You can afford a Ma Deuce or a Chicago Typewriter, or a piece of light Civil War field artillery?  Go for it!!

So by asking that question, you are now raising an issue of gun control — and coming off as somewhat in favor of it. Never thought I'd see you come over to the side of reason and sanity, even this little bit.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

the 80 million Trump voters
One more time, slowly:

Trump got 74,000,000 votes.

It was BIDEN who got 81,000,000 votes.

Until you concede that point, there’s no point posting any of this other crap.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:03 pm

So by asking that question, you are now raising an issue of gun control — and coming off as somewhat in favor of it. Never thought I'd see you come over to the side of reason and sanity, even this little bit.
-"BB"-
I'm not in favor of more gun control. It's not effective and may trigger something far worse. Those who expect the insurrection to involve mass killing with guns are seriously deluded. Why kill 600 when you can kill millions?

If you expect me to provide directions, that won't happen. I will describe how the US has become fragile to the point it could happen.

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:06 pm
the 80 million Trump voters
One more time, slowly:

Trump got 74,000,000 votes.

It was BIDEN who got 81,000,000 votes.

Until you concede that point, there’s no point posting any of this other crap.
Of course you believe that. What about the blades of grass that don't?

What will the Biden administration do that triggers the insurrection? Your mind set is part of the problem. "I'm right and you must accept my reality before we can have a discussion".

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So when are you going to pay your betting debts ?

-- Author unknown

Darren

Post by Darren »

Wow, Scooter! We're discussing a topic of immense relevance to the future of the US and you're waving your hand because you need to pee. You're excused. Try not to piss on your shoes.

I've been amazed at the comments that deride Trump supporters and question their intelligence. It tracks the reaction of Congress to the recent incident at the Capitol.

The commonality is the lack of understanding. The reaction was much ado about nothing. The Federal Bureau of Incompetence has now dawned their superman cape and issued a warning about armed insurrection in all of the states.

How many here think armed crowds will storm the capitals? Anyone?

Will you think the show of force headed off rioting when it doesn't happen. That's delusional.

Remember that half billion firearms? That's not the problem people would have you believe.