Trump's Grand Finale....

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Joe Guy

Trump's Grand Finale....

Post by Joe Guy »

Is this really going to happen?....
Intrigued by the idea of upstaging Biden, the ever self-centered president has requested a major sendoff. It would begin with a throng of cheering, flag-waving staffers and supporters to see him off on the White House’s South Lawn, according to a person familiar with the planning, and continue to a more formal ceremony at Joint Base Andrews, featuring a red carpet, military band, color guard and 21-gun salute. He’ll make his final Air Force One flight to Florida, to take up residence at Mar-a-Lago, his West Palm Beach, Florida, estate.
And much more from an LA Times article (via sfgate).

Darren

Re: Trump's Grand Finale....

Post by Darren »

I've been wondering why there's no last minute pardons. He mentioned Assange in the past.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

According to the article he is preparing more pardons and considering one for himself.

dales

Post by dales »

How about he lights one of his massive gaseous farts on fire?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Good idea. Maybe he could have Rudy Giuliani jog across the White House lawn with an Olympic style torch to light it.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yes TV news is also reporting this tonight, that Donnie is planning his big beautiful military send off for next week - as if 20,000+ national guard troops and a lockdown zone all around the national mall isn’t already the biggest military send off any president has ever had.

Meanwhile over 23,000 people died of covid19 this week and projections are that over 90,000 more will die over the next 3 weeks. We are racing quickly to half a million dead.

Thanks, Donnie!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

139673607_10157555971763204_3086581264666834514_o.jpg
(Note to Proff; It's a "joke".)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It’s cute that you think you’re mocking me by calling me ‘Proff’ - which I would argue should be abbreviated ‘Prof’. In fact it merely brightens my day with the reminder of the largely happy years when I was, according to university norms, addressed as professor by my students and peers whilst serving as adjunct faculty to my alma mater.

I wonder, do you think that former President Obama wasn’t addressed as ‘professor’ whilst he taught constitutional law at University of Chicago as an adjunct faculty for many years with his JD as his terminal degree? Do you imagine that the label isn’t bestowed on the thousands of JDs and MDs who profess to students at law schools and medical schools all over the country?

Please do carry on with your little ‘insult’, dear. I love it. :kiss:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I spent seven happy years in the groves of academe: three for an undergraduate degree and four conducting published original research. During that time there were precisely two individuals whom I routinely addressed as 'professor' because that's what they were.

All the rest who taught me were Dr This and Dr That, apart from the odd Mr or Ms who lacked a PhD. I regret the grade inflation of the honorific 'Professor.'

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Just posting this here where I think BigRR meant to post it:
Big RR wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:04 pm
I've been and adjunct professor at a local university for more than 15 years, and have found that most of my students called me Professor (a form of address I never recall using while I was in college; it was always Dr. _____________ or the first name). Personally, I encouraged my students to call me by my first name (most did), as I found that the professors I recalled most fondly (and respected and learned the most from) encouraged me to do the same. I think we can get too carried away with honorifics; I also call my physician and minister by their first names. It might be the American in me (I do recall senior scientists I worked with in Europe (UK, France, the Netherlands, and Scandinavia) insisting on being address as Dr. ______________, at least in a business setting, but that abated over the years). FWIW, I also found that those in southern Europe (and Latin America) would always address me as "Dr.", another cultural phenomenon, and some medical professionals (surgeons, I think) in England (not sure if the entire UK) were addressed as "Mr."
For the record, I also encouraged casual address from my students because I’d much prefer to hear my first name rather than my father’s surname any day of the week. Nevertheless some students preferred formality and called me professor. When I was a student myself I generally only felt comfortable with formal address as that’s just how I was raised. And at university I did call many of my professors who were PhDs Dr., but I didn’t so address professors with MAs as their terminal degree nor JDs while at law school.
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Dear dear Proff, funny how we never refer to real professors as "Proff" or the like. Most of them however, have papers online, and a search for their name as "doctor" or "professor" brings up their papers, past teaching posts, or university of residence.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

For kids of the 60s, there is only one:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:42 pm
Dear dear Proff, funny how we never refer to real professors as "Proff" or the like. Most of them however, have papers online, and a search for their name as "doctor" or "professor" brings up their papers, past teaching posts, or university of residence.
Who is this ‘we’, Gob? Have you got a mouse in your pocket?

I have plenty of documentation of my years as an adjunct professor. Plenty of former students and colleagues who recall it quite well. Used to be present on the university website material, but as it’s been 15 years or more since I taught there, I’m sure I don’t show up in any Google search of university catalogs. I imagine if you really wanted to be diligent, you could call HR and they could verify my employment of many years ago. But you don’t want to be, you just want to be a hateful dick to me.

Hope you’re still enjoying my iPod. :fu
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Long Run wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:47 pm
For kids of the 60s, there is only one:

:lol: :ok
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Funny you know, in 2012...
now prosecution and with an eye to return to the PD in another year or so.
So between then and now, you've done your PhD and gained a professorship. Well done you.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:56 pm
Funny you know, in 2012...
now prosecution and with an eye to return to the PD in another year or so.
So between then and now, you've done your PhD and gained a professorship. Well done you.
I never claimed to have a PhD, sorry for your reading comprehension difficulties, or your penchant for lying, whichever it is.

PD = public defender. I’ve only used the term dozens of times on this board and the CSB.

Do carry on with your obsession.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

So you don't have a PhD, yet claim to be a "professor", interesting. What leaned academy granted your professorship?

Oh, and didn't you quit law in 2016?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

She is a Doctor of Jurisprudence, which is the same degree that any professor of law would have.

This ongoing needling of her academic and professional credentials is beneath you.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:41 pm
Just posting this here where I think BigRR meant to post it:
Big RR wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:04 pm
I've been and adjunct professor at a local university for more than 15 years, and have found that most of my students called me Professor (a form of address I never recall using while I was in college; it was always Dr. _____________ or the first name). Personally, I encouraged my students to call me by my first name (most did), as I found that the professors I recalled most fondly (and respected and learned the most from) encouraged me to do the same. I think we can get too carried away with honorifics; I also call my physician and minister by their first names. It might be the American in me (I do recall senior scientists I worked with in Europe (UK, France, the Netherlands, and Scandinavia) insisting on being address as Dr. ______________, at least in a business setting, but that abated over the years). FWIW, I also found that those in southern Europe (and Latin America) would always address me as "Dr.", another cultural phenomenon, and some medical professionals (surgeons, I think) in England (not sure if the entire UK) were addressed as "Mr."
For the record, I also encouraged casual address from my students because I’d much prefer to hear my first name rather than my father’s surname any day of the week. Nevertheless some students preferred formality and called me professor. When I was a student myself I generally only felt comfortable with formal address as that’s just how I was raised. And at university I did call many of my professors who were PhDs Dr., but I didn’t so address professors with MAs as their terminal degree nor JDs while at law school.
Thanks BSG for moving my post. I didn't have any professors with masters as I recall (I think it's not as common in the natural sciences as in other areas), but I agree I never used the address Dr. _____________________ for law school professors (mostly I think we used first names, but I don't recall what else was used as a form of address).

LR-- :ok :ok :ok :ok

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Take break, Gob.

Wiki she say:
In most systems of academic ranks, "professor" as an unqualified title refers only to the most senior academic position, sometimes informally known as "full professor". In some countries and institutions, the word "professor" is also used in titles of lower ranks such as associate professor and assistant professor; this is particularly the case in the United States, where the word professor is also used to refer to associate and assistant professors as well. This usage would be considered incorrect among other academic communities. However, the unqualified title "Professor" designated with a capital letter nearly always refers to a full professor.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts