And the award for the best shade throwing goes to...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: And the award for the best shade throwing goes to...

Post by Scooter »

Screenshot (264).png
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Brilliant, Greta.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Scooter wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:22 am
Our local waste pickup people (who also deal with the single-stream recycling program we have) tell us that pizza boxes cannot be recycled because of the grease from the pizza that gets absorbed by the cardboard ... but Domino's says that the boxes can be recycled, grease stains or not.   Who am I supposed to believe?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Our garbage picker upper tells us to put used pizza boxes in the compost container with yard waste. Leftover food can also get thrown in the same bin. I believe Domino’s is correct. The cardboard and any grease will turn into compost just like all the other stuff.

And Greta would agree.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Composting is different than recycling.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Composting/Recycling Different? You Betcha. It is my contention that English has no words that are exactly equivalent. They remain because they communicate different data. IMNSHO, Composting is very near to being the penultimate recycling. I think the ultimate recycling is to reduce it to plasma, then it can be reformed to anything.

snailgate

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:08 am
I believe Domino’s is correct. The cardboard and any grease will turn into compost just like all the other stuff.
Domino's website points to a new study that finds it is okay to recycle pizza boxes with normal greasiness, along with your other paper products. Residential trash collectors, though, have long urged customers to put pizza boxes in compost to avoid contamination and do not appear to have accepted the new recycling guideline. They all agree, though, that it is better to recycle cardboard that is recyclable than to compost it.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:36 am
Scooter wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:22 am
Our local waste pickup people (who also deal with the single-stream recycling program we have) tell us that pizza boxes cannot be recycled because of the grease from the pizza that gets absorbed by the cardboard ... but Domino's says that the boxes can be recycled, grease stains or not.   Who am I supposed to believe?
-"BB"-
As someone who works in the industry, Domino's is full of shit. Anything with grease on it goes in the garbage, it cannot be recycled. Also, most frozen-food boxes cannot be recycled.

One greasy box can contaminate an entire ~2000lb cardboard bale.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I see. Domino's disagrees that greasy cardboard can't be changed back into non-greasy cardboard and used as cardboard again but the garbage industry wants contaminated cardboard to be composted to become soil.

One thing I'm sure about is there are a lot of people that don't pay attention to what the garbage company says. On garbage day I often see people's (blue) bins for glass, paper and plastic that are overloaded so high that the top of the container won't close. Many are topped off with filled non-recyclable plastic bags. I haven't witnessed whether or not they get picked up or are tagged and left there with a notice that tells people to quit being stupid.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

That's old recycling technology. The American Forest and Paper Association has changed its guidelines so that pizza boxes with typical levels of cheese/pepperoni contamination can be recycled.

More here.

And here.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

As Andy points out, it is not Domino's, it is the industry saying pizza boxes can now be recycled. The caveat is that the amount of food/grease be "normal". And as Joe points out too many people are terrible at recycling, so the guidelines need to be as simple as possible (and even then, people are going to mess it up). If just one percent of boxes are too contaminated to be recycled, that is going to be a lot of batches of cardboard that are thrown out.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

FB_IMG_1672613317236.jpg

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Well, in my case, problem solved.  The local power company (Xcel Energy) has a waste-to-energy facility where combustible refuse is mixed with 'wood biomass' (old railroad ties) and burned in order to — as I understand it — boil water to make steam to power turbine generators to create a not-insignificant amount of electrical energy.  In 2020, the facility accepted something like 72,000 tons of municipal solid waste which, along with the shredded railroad ties, was combined with 'wood biomass' and burned to produce close to 75,000 MWH (megawatt hours) of electricity — enough to serve ~9000 homes.
(https://www.lacrossecounty.org/Minutes%20and%20Agendas/Attachments/2021/CountyBoard/Aug/Xcel.pdf)

So my pizza boxes, frozen-food boxes, used kleenex, and non-recyclable plastic goes into the trash, at which point I assume it eventually goes up in flames.  It may not be recycling in that it's not being used to make new cardboard out of old, but at least it's not ending up buried and slowly decomposing in a landfill.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And slowly decomposing in a landfill will almost certainly be anoxic so anaerobic bacteria will convert the carbon to methane which is, pound for pound, about 20 times worse than carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas. I think electrical generation using waste will become much more common in the future. It's free; CO2 is much better than CH4; and landfill space will become more and more expensive.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I recently saw members of the "Freedom Caucus" referred to as the "Freedom Caucasians" and IMNSHO whoever coined that term wins the internet for the year 2023. :ok :lol:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Screenshot (266).png

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Screenshot (267).png

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Andrew Tate's friends.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The Satanic Temple Just Expertly Trolled Samuel Alito With The Name Of Its New Women's Clinic

In honor of Associate Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito—who last year penned the majority opinion overturning the constitutional right to reproductive freedom—the Satanic Temple officially opened the “Samuel Alito’s Mom’s Satanic Abortion Clinic.

The idea behind the clinic's name is simple.

The Satanic Temple—contrary to protesters' allegations it promotes Satanism and is a detriment to the nation's youth—is a nontheistic human rights group whose website states the organization "promotes egalitarianism, social justice, and the separation of religion and state."

In its official announcement, the organization said the telehealth clinic "will provide medical abortion medication through the mail to those who wish to perform TST’s Religious Abortion Ritual" and stressed it is "committed to protecting bodily autonomy, assuring religious abortion access, and providing free quality care.”

The clinic will offer low-cost abortion medication to patients in New Mexico while providing screenings and follow-ups for free to all. The cost of medication is only $90 when accessed through the clinic, which will be staffed by licensed medical professionals and have a 24-hour on-call patient hotline.

The organization's website says it will help those “who need assistance to travel to New Mexico when possible.” The location itself was chosen because New Mexico borders a number of red states with some of the toughest abortion restrictions in the country.

The group said laws which impede its Religious Abortion Ritual—which is intended to “de-stigmatize this medical procedure”—violate the First Amendment and the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which safeguard its beliefs in bodily autonomy for all.

Many celebrated the move and applauded the group's deliciously unsubtle trolling of Alito.

-- Author unknown