And the award for the best shade throwing goes to...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

And the award for the best shade throwing goes to...

Post by Scooter »

Cruz gets read.jpg
Boebert gets read.jpg

More submissions welcome.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Re: And the award for the best shade throwing goes to...

Post by Sue U »

Oh, wait a bit; Jon Stewart signed up today.
GAH!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:funee:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Bette wins!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is hilarious on so many levels.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Yeah, it's like, "how many ways can I shoot myself in the foot without realizing it."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I'll defer to Sue, Guin et al, but this strikes me as probably ranking pretty high in the amount of shade thrown in a demand letter:

-- Author unknown

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Meh. Written for publicity, nothing more.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Guinevere wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:38 am
Zackly. This is essentially clickbait, not quality legal work. It sounds like it was written by someone at the Lincoln Project, not their lawyers. (Caplin Drysdale is a serious firm, generally not prone to this kind of thing.)
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I see that Matthew T Sanderson is a real "political lawyer" with Caplin & Drysdale.

To me, the letter reads more like another anti-Trumper commercial than a serious legal communication.

If interested, you can click on the pic for more info...

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Joe Guy wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:17 am
To me, the letter reads more like another anti-Trumper commercial than a serious legal communication.
...not that there's anything wrong with that! ;)
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:56 am
Guinevere wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:38 am
Zackly. This is essentially clickbait, not quality legal work. It sounds like it was written by someone at the Lincoln Project, not their lawyers. (Caplin Drysdale is a serious firm, generally not prone to this kind of thing.)
I'm sure that's true. Effective none the less.

But I see that last paragraph - apologize by Wednesday or else - as a real threat. I don't think he can back down now. Sanderson wrote it to be published so he has to follow through. Expect a sort of "I didn't really mean it" non-apology from Giuliani by late Wednesday afternoon. I did like that line about Dominion Voting Systems. Might concentrate Giuliani's mind, if there is any left.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Eh, Giuliani may or may not apologize (my guess is he won't -- he didn't apologize to Dominion), but either way a defamation case would be difficult to prove, depending on what local jurisdiction's laws can be invoked and what might constitute per se defamation under those laws (e.g., do you have to show that a reasonable person would have believed the defamatory allegations made?). And even if you can prove that a statement Giuliani made was actually defamatory under the law -- as opposed to just false and scurrilous -- and that a reasonable person would have believed it, what damages would the Lincoln Project be entitled to? I can't imagine they could show there was any actual harm to their business or reputation as a result of Giuliani's attack, and probably the opposite is true. I don't think this is actually a case and I highly doubt whether it's going anywhere. I think the Lincoln Project and Sanderson are just having some fun piling on Giuliani, because he remains the most visible and dependable source of Trumpist batshittery.
GAH!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I'm no lawyer, but I would think that falsely accusing someone of staging one of the most heinous acts of criminality in the nation's history as a false flag operation could not be anything but defamation per se. As to who would believe it, the chorus of "reasonable" voices prepared to lay the blame for the terrorist insurrection on Antifa should answer that question.

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Scooter wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:29 pm
one of the most heinous acts of criminality in the nation's history
Is it any more heinous than a child-sex-trafficking ring operating out of a pizza shop basement? Or a cabal of Satanic cannibals murdering children for their adrenal glands?
GAH!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Again, I would think that if there were specific victims of those defamations who could have identified the specific purveyors, then they could have claimed defamation per se. I can't recall in the first case whether the person or persons who actually invented and disseminated that rumour could be identified. In the second case, I don't recall any individuals being named as engaging in said satanic cannibalistic murders, I think it was generically "Democrats" or "elites".

-- Author unknown

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Throwing shade isn’t lawyering.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:03 pm
Eh, Giuliani may or may not apologize (my guess is he won't -- he didn't apologize to Dominion), but either way a defamation case would be difficult to prove, depending on what local jurisdiction's laws can be invoked and what might constitute per se defamation under those laws (e.g., do you have to show that a reasonable person would have believed the defamatory allegations made?). And even if you can prove that a statement Giuliani made was actually defamatory under the law -- as opposed to just false and scurrilous -- and that a reasonable person would have believed it, what damages would the Lincoln Project be entitled to? I can't imagine they could show there was any actual harm to their business or reputation as a result of Giuliani's attack, and probably the opposite is true. I don't think this is actually a case and I highly doubt whether it's going anywhere. I think the Lincoln Project and Sanderson are just having some fun piling on Giuliani, because he remains the most visible and dependable source of Trumpist batshittery.
Sue, as I recall, public individuals and entities (which I think would include the Lincoln Project) would have to prove actual malice to succeed in any libel or slander action; something also not that easy (especially with that confidential source). My guess is that, even if damage could be proven, it's likely not worth the bother.

Guin--I agree.