And the award for the best shade throwing goes to...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Big RR

Re: And the award for the best shade throwing goes to...

Post by Big RR »

Well Sue, interesting you bring up Phil Spector; I'm not a fan of these 60s Christmas hits either (probably for the same reason as this one, they don't age well for me). There are a number of "modern" (i.e. nontraditional) Christmas songs I like--Christmas Rapping (the Waitresses), Fairy Tale of New York (the Pogues), Little Drummer Boy (David Bowie/Bing Crosby), even Merry Christmas Darling (not sure if it's the Carpenters or just Karen alone). However, I agree a large number of people do like that song, and that's fine with me--when it comes on the radio, I'll just change the station (FWIW, the overplay/overhype is probably the main reason I don't like it--when I first heard it, I thought it was OK, but I soon got sick of it) and they can listen.

CP--I'd far rather listen to the Wham song. Ditto for Do they know its Christmastime at all. But then, they don't get that overhyped play that the Mariah Carey song does.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

“Do they know its Christmas” is the poster child for white privilege.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

rubato wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:47 am

If both of them were erased from the history of music forever and they never existed it would not even make a ripple in the arts. WGAF? Temperamental twats create their own negative space.

yrs,
rubato
She has more talent than you could ever dream of. (Though that's a low bar...)

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

FB_IMG_1640207769540.jpg

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

On a similar note...

Don Jr estate tax.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Scooter wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:17 pm
FB_IMG_1640207769540.jpg
Yes: and recall that Banting and Best sold the insulin patent to the University of Toronto for $1. They knew it would save countless lives and they decided they would not profit from it.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

It does cost $35, at Walmart.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The only problem with that insulin is that it might kill you, but ok.

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

The comments here remind me of Sturgeon's Law: 90% of anything (everything) is shit. It is certainly true of popular music. That is the key to success for "Oldies Radio" Pulling from the entire history of music recording, they can drop out the shit. #1 hit on the charts does not impress me.

snailgate

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Scooter wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:31 pm
Any medication can kill you if you use it incorrectly. Millions of people (including a close friend) have been using ReliOn or similar generic insulin for decades. (He's been controlling his diabetes since he was 12.)

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

And those who were using newer forms of insulin safely for decades have should be able to continue doing so without having to pay ten times the original price due to nothing but limitless corporate greed.

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Scooter wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:31 pm
That's a little disingenuous, Scooter. If you use the wrong sort of insulin for your condition and circumstances it may not work properly and you die. I don't know how it is that Walmart - normally not my exemplar of a good corporate citizen - can sell their insulin types much cheaper than elsewhere. One of my cats is diabetic and I have to inject him with 8 units twice a day and he's been OK for about a year and a half now. Vet told me to go to Walmart which normally I avoid like the plague (or, to bring that cliché up to date, avoid like the 'rona) but at $20 for a month's worth compared to $180 at CVS it was a no-brainer. I buy three months' supply at a time so I only have to go there once every 90 days which I can stomach.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

People who switched to the old insulin because they could no longer afford the newer version, and who were unaware that it takes far longer to take effect, could see their blood sugar levels continue to spike for hours after dosing, or could administer an overdose if they don't see their levels decreasing as quickly as they were previously accustomed. Both scenarios could result in death. So blithely asserting that someone could buy "cheap" insulin at Walmart, as if they are interchangeable, when it requires a completely different approach to administration, is grossly irresponsible.

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Walmart sells some insulin types cheaply. If that type matches your condition and your circumstances, it's fine: for example, Jarl's friend.

I agree that much of the profiteering around insulin is, as you put it, "due to nothing but limitless corporate greed." But this seems to be a situation whereby for some people the Walmart insulin is both cheap and the correct medication.

From Walmart's own website, quoting (I assume correctly) the American Diabetes Association:
“Diabetes often comes with high medical costs, estimated around $9,601 per person per year. We welcome all affordable solutions that make diabetes management more accessible to millions of Americans living with diabetes. We encourage everyone to ask their health care provider questions to better understand what the right and affordable treatment is for their unique medical needs,” said Tracey D. Brown, chief executive officer of the American Diabetes Association.
I read that to mean: if it makes sense for your specific circumstance there may be savings available here. Discuss it with your doctor. it's not the cheapness of Walmart products which is the villain here: it's the artificially inflated prices from other purveyors.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Well said, Andy. I too NEVER shop at Walmart (except for 2 or 3 times over the last couple of decades when there was literally no alternative) and it pains me to defend them, but... Here is a quote from Scooter's link:
Marilee McInnis, a Walmart spokeswoman, cautioned against using the product without consulting a physician.

“The high cost of insulin is a concern for those trying to manage their diabetes, and human insulin can be a less expensive alternative, but it may not be right for everyone,” McInnis said in a statement.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Which Scooter, of course, ignored.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Scooter wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:49 am
People who switched to the old insulin because they could no longer afford the newer version, and who were unaware that it takes far longer to take effect, could see their blood sugar levels continue to spike for hours after dosing, or could administer an overdose if they don't see their levels decreasing as quickly as they were previously accustomed. Both scenarios could result in death. So blithely asserting that someone could buy "cheap" insulin at Walmart, as if they are interchangeable, when it requires a completely different approach to administration, is grossly irresponsible.
Fortunately, nobody actually did that!