And the award for the best shade throwing goes to...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: And the award for the best shade throwing goes to...

Post by Scooter »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:58 am
Which Scooter, of course, ignored.
Uh, no, since I was the one who posted it as a necessary qualification to your unthinking and careless suggestion.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Regardless of the merits of the Walmart insulin - and let's accept that it works for some people - what does surprise is that I do not need a doctor Rx to buy it. I just go in to the Walmart pharmacy, say it's for my cat, and they sell me a 10 mL vial for around $20 and a box of 100 units 0.3 mL syringes - again $20 or something in that ballpark. As Scooter points out, it's not right for everyone and might be so wrong it's fatal - so why is an Rx not required?

To answer my own question, there is more info here. To quote:
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration declined multiple requests by NPR for an interview on this topic. But, in an email, an FDA representative said that the versions of insulin now available over the counter were approved for sale that way because they are based on a less concentrated, older formulation, “that did not require a licensed medical practitioner’s supervision for safe use.”
Some doctors think the FDA is nuts. One state does not allow OTC insulin purchase and that is Indiana, a half mile over the river from Louisville. And I don't doubt that there are IN residents who pay the bridge toll now and then to come over here. Indiana, who brought you Mike Pence and Dan Quayle, is not famous for being a forward looking place but it seems to me that they might have this one right.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Of course...because requiring a prescription will, of course, raise the price!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Bwahahaha!
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The Sons of Liberty
Former Trump-administration Attorney General William Barr has released a scathing book that is intensely critical of Mister Donald Trump. Barr’s book is unique because the hardcover edition will be released without a spine, but will grow one several years later when it’s profitable to do so.

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

FB_IMG_1649776703175.jpg

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

FB_IMG_1650296661555.jpg

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm still waiting to see examples of the books with Critical Race Theory + Maths for K through 5. If, and that's very big if, as DeSantis has said, that there are books with a combination of the two which he and the Florida Dept of Education have banned, I'm inclined to agree with him. But I very much doubt it; and the best they seem to have come up with so far are a couple of (seemingly) light hearted test questions from a teacher in Missouri (I lived there for a few years and I'm pretty sure it wasn't then part of Florida but I have to admit I have not been paying sufficient attention to plate tectonics). Even if this is real:
- It's not Florida
- It's not a textbook
- It's not CRT

Still waiting. This could take a while. And BTW I checked with Mr Google. When are simultaneous equations (the MO test questions) introduced in US schools? Best I could figure is Grade 8 or thereabouts so it's even more unlikely to be there in a K - 5 textbook.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Assuming this is an accurate statement of what the "department" said,
impermissible with either Florida's new standards or contained prohibited topics,
, it scares the hell out of me. A governmental department declaring certain topics are "prohibited" (even if they are in compliance with the "new standards") is a pretty big step on the road to totalitarianism. But, as I sadi before, Desantis scares me a lot more than Trump every did, America's Caudillo in waiting.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

OK. a little bit of math class for everyone.  If you solve the two given equations for each problem, you get a set of two numbers that are a numeric value for both 'x' and 'y'.  The correct set (along with two incorrect ones) is listed below, along with a word or phrase that completes the little story that accompanies each pair of equations.  Personally I would be looking a little askance at the subject matter, but then when I realize that kids these days are watching stuff like "Breaking Bad", "Game of Thrones", and countless police and courtroom procedurals, a story-problem like
"Jenny and Johnny have a total of fifteen apples.  If Johnny has three more apples than Jenny does, how many apples does each child have?"
(for you math-challenged people out there, and you know who you are, the correct answer is 'Johnny has nine apples and Jenny has six')
ain't gonna hold their interest.

And by the way, ex-KA — that right there is an example of how we had simultaneous equations back in the day.  The first equation is 'y = x +3', and the second one is 'x + y = 15'.  And you solve them sequentially by solving the second equation first:
given y is x + 3, then
x + (x + 3) = 15
2x + 3 = 15
2x = 15 - 3
2x = 12
x = 6
Now go back to the first equation and solve it, putting the answer '6' into the equation in place of 'x'
y = 6 + 3
y = 9

Given what's been coming out of the ultra-right side of the Republican party, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that someone found this in something like the 'Onion' or the 'Babylon Bee', believed it was legitimate (those people ain't the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, dont'cha know?), and recirculated it — or made it up themselves to further drive their bullshit wagon.

I'm telling you right now...  when I see just how whacked-out the GOP has gotten, and how strongly and quickly they are willing to double or even triple-down on their regressive, racist, and hateful attitudes, I swear that Jesus Christ himself would not get my vote for so much as dogcatcher if He were running for office as a Republican.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'm pretty sure this is an excerpt from one of the banned Florida math textbooks....

Question: Two teenagers, Johnny, a black youth whose great great grandfather was a slave, and Jenny, who was born in a white man's body and surgically transformed to her true self in Los Angeles, California at age 13, had a total of 15 organically grown apples picked by undocumented Mexicans for an American company. If Johnny has three more apples than Jenny, how many apples does each child possess?

Answer: Johnny is morally obligated by our society to have ownership of the majority of apples as reparations for many years of at least one of his ancestors being treated as three fifths of a person, while Jenny was easily able to choose which sex she wanted to be based on her inherited white privilege. Therefore, Johnny has and deserves at least 9 apples and Jenny could easily go elsewhere and buy as many apples as she wants. In the meantime, Mexican agricultural workers deserve about six of every 15 apples as compensation for their extremely low and unreliable seasonal wages.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

This is the Missouri example from the link.

To get the right answer the kid has to circle the solution to the simultaneous equations (which are a little more difficult than BB's example but the same general idea) or else know the answer to the (Maya) Angelou story. I'm guessing that the math teacher who set the test knew that they were also doing I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and it was a light hearted (-ish) attempt to combine the two study areas. If the questions had combined the equations with questions about Captain Ahab or Scout Finch we'd probably never know about them.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Joe Guy wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:43 pm
I'm pretty sure this is an excerpt from one of the banned Florida math textbooks....
Genius :lol: :lol: :lol: Stealing it!

BB. . .Screw equations. I just take three apples away from 15 apples which leaves 12 apples, divide by 2 kids = 6. So one has 6 apples and the other has 9. :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That's pretty much what Bill did as well; he just showed his work. :lol:

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:11 pm
Yeah but I worked in the prose style too. Kids love that!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:11 pm
That's what comes from having had a math teacher as a father.  It's been over a half-century since I went through this in school myself, but some things will just *NEVER* go away.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And there is a method to that madness; if you can go through the steps to solve a simple problem (and, as Meade showed, this could easily be calculated in one's head (or on the back of an envelope if needed)), it will be easier to use them to solve more complex problems.