What's happening in Georgia is an obscenity

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

What's happening in Georgia is an obscenity

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Now that they have two D senators, GA is doing its best to move the goalposts back to where they used to be.
The Georgia legislature passed a sweeping measure on Thursday that will dramatically limit access to voting following continual and unfounded claims of fraud after the state voted Democrat in the 2020 presidential race.

Just hours later, Gov. Brian Kemp (R), who has made voter purges a cornerstone of his career, signed the bill critics have called “Jim Crow 2.0” into law.

The new measure will impose new identification requirements on those who vote by mail, imperiling the 200,000 voters who don’t have a driver’s license or state ID number. It will also limit the use of drop boxes for absentee ballots, criminalize voting groups from giving those standing in line to vote food and water and shorten the period for runoff races.
State Representative Park Cannon was arrested after she knocked on the Governor's door during the signing ceremony and was briefly jailed. She has been charged with some sort of felony obstruction of law enforcement.

I foresee Atlanta will be losing business and academic conventions as the rest of the country shows its disgust. Enough people - and yes, many corporations who are not famous for liberal thinking - will say (or will be forced to say by their employees) fuck that. Maybe it's wishful thinking. I hope not.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: What's happening in Georgia is an obscenity

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Governor Kemp signing SB202 in a closed-door session, surrounded by racist white guys like himself.  Interestingly, the picture on the wall behind him is of a brick house on the Callaway Plantation in Washington, Georgia, which was once a 3,000-acre plantation owned by a family of slave-owners and is now open for public tours.

I suppose if you're going to send a message that you're aiming to turn the clock back almost two hundred years and bringing back the 'good old days' when them darkies knew their place and were kept there, there's no need to be subtle about it.

I do notice they were all wearing masks.  I guess their sheets and hoods hadn't come back from the laundry yet.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I didn't know that. I looked up the place on Wikipedia. Apparently
The site is located across from the Washington-Wilkes airport, but otherwise appears from photographs to have a pleasant rural plantation flavor.
I don't think I can let that phrase stand. Anyone got any suggestions?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »