Ok Dems

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
liberty

Re: Ok Dems

Post by liberty »

Sue U wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:07 pm
Or you could, you know, just ignore the bullshit Trumpist propaganda;

MAGA World says Biden's lost it. Republican senators disagree.

Look, Joe Biden was not my first, second or third choice for Democratic nominee, but that's who the country was comfortable enough with to elect as president. So far he and the rest of the administration are doing just fine, bringing actual competence to government instead of ignorance and grift. I'm okay with that, even if I'm not getting the priorities that I want.
Priorities Like a hammer and sickle flag and reeducation camps?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Econoline wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:20 am
Then your standards for "reason to believe that Trump has any mental problems" are obviously completely different from your standards for "reason to believe that Trump has any mental problems".
Was it Trump or Biden who wrote that? :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Amazing inability here to discuss the current president's health, due to the past presidents being in some ways worse people.

Trump got the kicking here he so richly deserves, from all sides of the political spectrum, because he was an arse, (OK, a fucking lunatic sociopath with narcissic and delusional traits,) GW Bush was a fucking moron, Ronnie* was a failed actor and dementing, but that does not make Biden a well man, nor competent.

*Sorry Jim mate.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

You are spot on Gob. The hypocrisy is galling. The denial unbelievable.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I have not seen enough of Biden to reach the conclusion Gob and @W have, but if he does become incapable of carrying out the duties of the office, we will have President Harris. Neither was my first choice for their positions, but I can live with it. If he becomes incapacitated, I think there are sufficient people on both sides of the aisle who will do what needs to be done to assure the government continues.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

They want to keep him propped up until 1/21/23.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:17 pm
They want to keep him propped up until 1/21/23.
So let me get this straight, Jarl: you want Biden to resign immediately and for Harris to become POTUS (and to appoint her own VP)—on the basis of a remote diagnosis via television screen by people who don't like Biden anyway—just so Harris will be ineligible to run for reelection in 2028. Is that it?

Also too: just exactly how does "They* want to keep him propped up" differ—for ordinary people like you and me—from "They want him to have a successful Presidency"???

*"They"? Who are "they"? Is it the same "they" who are running everything in all the right-wing conspiracy theories? The ominous, ambiguous "they" is the stuff of conspiracy nutballs like "Q". Names, please. And evidence.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

My guess is that he is thinking it would permit Harris to serve for nearly 10 years as president if his term exceeds 2 years. Not sure who the "they" that want Harris as a 10 year president are; not me, she wasn't my first choice either--but I'd give her a chance (hell, I gave W and Trump a chance).

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

But is there actually any *OBJECTIVE* standard by which Biden could be judged incapable of serving, a standard that could be agreed on by both his allies and his enemies? Because having *DIFFERENT* standards for Democratic and Republican Presidents is clearly wrong, and indefensible.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Big RR - yes, if Harris were to serve more than half of Biden's term she could run again in 2024 but not in 2028; but if she were to serve less than half she could run for reelection in 2024 and again in 2028. In either case, she could choose her own VP (with the consent of a simple majority of Congress [which means at this point that she'd have to get at least one Republican on board, since there would be no VP to break a tie!]) ...and I can't imagine why those who want to get rid of Biden would feel that this would be an improvement.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I can't imagine why those who want to get rid of Biden would feel that this would be an improvement.
I agree.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Econoline wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:07 pm
But is there actually any *OBJECTIVE* standard by which Biden could be judged incapable of serving, a standard that could be agreed on by both his allies and his enemies? Because having *DIFFERENT* standards for Democratic and Republican Presidents is clearly wrong, and indefensible.
The 25th Amendment.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

And since you have no role in exercising the 25th Amendment, your "opinion" on Biden's mental fitness isn't worth the toilet paper I just used to wipe my ass.

Thanks for your honesty.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And FWIW, there is hardly any objective standard there, merely that the president in incapable of carrying out the responsibilities of his or her office; it's also the decision of the VP and cabinet and, ultimately, Congress, not any medical or psychological professional.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:58 pm
Econoline wrote:
The 25th Amendment.
By your logic, then, since the 25th Amendment provides an objective, nonpartisan standard of whether the POTUS is "unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office", and since none of the provisions of the 25th Amendment have been (by that objective standard) utilized...Joe Biden is ipso facto *NOT* "unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office".

And Scooter makes an excellent point: neither you, nor @W, nor Gob has any role in exercising the 25th Amendment. The people with that responsibility are all people who have actual, day-to-day, in-person contact and interaction with the President.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

As well as the president and, ultimately, Congress if the president dispute the conclusion.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

He disputes it . . .

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

The 25th wasn't ratified until 1967. But you probably already knew that?
God @The Tweet of God

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Econoline wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:41 pm

By your logic, then, since the 25th Amendment provides an objective, nonpartisan standard of whether the POTUS is "unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office", and since none of the provisions of the 25th Amendment have been (by that objective standard) utilized...Joe Biden is ipso facto *NOT* "unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office".

And Scooter makes an excellent point: neither you, nor @W, nor Gob has any role in exercising the 25th Amendment. The people with that responsibility are all people who have actual, day-to-day, in-person contact and interaction with the President.
No, it doesn't. The 25th amendment has no objective standard whatsoever. A perfectly capable president could be removed simply because the VP and the cabinet decide to remove him.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:58 pm
Econoline wrote:
The 25th Amendment.
God @The Tweet of God