Ok Dems

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Gob

Re: Ok Dems

Post by Gob »

Econoline wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:41 pm

And Scooter makes an excellent point: neither you, nor @W, nor Gob has any role in exercising the 25th Amendment.

Thanks fuck I don't, you'd not have had a president in my lifetime if I did! Bunch of twats the lot of them.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Econoline wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:38 am
Jarlaxle wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:58 pm
Econoline wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:07 pm
But is there actually any *OBJECTIVE* standard by which Biden could be judged incapable of serving, a standard that could be agreed on by both his allies and his enemies? Because having *DIFFERENT* standards for Democratic and Republican Presidents is clearly wrong, and indefensible.
The 25th Amendment.
Jarlaxle wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:54 am
Econoline wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:41 pm

By your logic, then, since the 25th Amendment provides an objective, nonpartisan standard of whether the POTUS is "unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office", and since none of the provisions of the 25th Amendment have been (by that objective standard) utilized...Joe Biden is ipso facto *NOT* "unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office".

And Scooter makes an excellent point: neither you, nor @W, nor Gob has any role in exercising the 25th Amendment. The people with that responsibility are all people who have actual, day-to-day, in-person contact and interaction with the President.
No, it doesn't. The 25th amendment has no objective standard whatsoever. A perfectly capable president could be removed simply because the VP and the cabinet decide to remove him.
What, you were expecting logical consistency?
GAH!

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Gob wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:58 am
Amazing inability here to discuss the current president's health, due to the past presidents being in some ways worse people.

Trump got the kicking here he so richly deserves, from all sides of the political spectrum, because he was an arse, (OK, a fucking lunatic sociopath with narcissic and delusional traits,) GW Bush was a fucking moron, Ronnie* was a failed actor and dementing, but that does not make Biden a well man, nor competent.

*Sorry Jim mate.
Is Joe Biden old? Yes. Has he lost a step over the last million years? Probably. Is he unfit for office? Not even remotely.

Biden has always been a "gaffe machine" so if he misspeaks it's probably more down to him being Joe Biden than being senile.

I have never been a Biden fan, but I have been impressed by the team of experienced professionals he has brought (back) into government, with a clearly articulated policy vision and an actual plan to implement it. Will his presidency be "successful"? Depends on your priorities and your metrics, I suppose. But this Adminstration appears to be off to a reasonably good start.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

He's not off to a bad start, but I think he needs to learn how to deal with competing priorities by dividing his time among them and/or getting people in place to deal with them. For example, I'll give him a passing grade with some of his work in the covid areas, but we have a crisis at the border which is not being dealt with. Putting kids in cages and having them sleep on concrete floors with plastic blankets is not an answer, and it is something that is just as important now as when Trump was president. Carter and LBJ have given excellent examples of what happens when you concentrate on one initiative (whether the Camp David Accords or the Great Society Programs) and ignore the rest; I hope Biden doesn't fall prey to this practice. He does have people who I think are capable of meeting the challenges, but he has to delegate the authority and keep on top of the responses.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God