After a while you think there's nothing new to say about the other guy

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

After a while you think there's nothing new to say about the other guy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

But you'd be wrong. It seems that his various schemes for raising $$$$ were/are if not fraudulent, very close to the edge. If you donated through 'WinRed', the online R platform, there were prechecked boxes which, if you did not find them and uncheck them in the paragraphs of small print, had the effect of multiplying your one time donation over and over again.

NYT found an example of a man dying of cancer who gave $500 - a massive amount for him - which turned into a weekly contribution until his bank account was drained of $3000.

Amazingly there are still people who think this man is a saint. They probably do not read the NYT.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: After a while you think there's nothing new to say about the other guy

Post by Econoline »

From the NYMag Intelligencer story on this:
Donald Trump may be a man with a very limited set of talents, but he has learned to apply those talents to masterful effect. His talent is to employ shameless lies to create an image of himself in the media, and then use that media to bilk people.

Typically, a grifter runs up against the limits of public knowledge: Once he is exposed, it becomes progressively more difficult to find new marks. But here is where Trump’s particular genius exceeds all who came before him, and allowed him to operate his scam on a world-historical scale. Trump has always attracted so much media that any particular exposé of his crooked deeds is overwhelmed by the cacophony.
[...]

[Final paragraph:] Almost every confidence artist has had to flee from his victims after they realized the trick. Trump may be the greatest con man in history. His victims still adore him.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Like the line out of "The Sting" when they were putting together the scheme to bilk Lonnigan (Robert Shaw) with the phony betting parlor —
Henry Gondorff:  You gotta keep his con even after you take his money.  He can't know you took him.
Yeah, he's got that part down REEEALLLLLY well — although you have to admit that it's a lot easier to do that when the people you are bilking have the average IQ of house plants.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Not true, BB. I know some Mensans who still believe the last national election was stolen by the Dems.

Then on the other hand, my brother is a true Trumpista, and his wife is shopping for an extended care home to put him in, due to dementia(probably caused by decades of treatment for Diabetes II) I have not found what her excuse is. She lives in Missouri, near Kansas City, and sees no reason to get the covid19 vaccine.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

No one wants to admit they were hoodwinked in a scam, especially when there were so many warnings they were being swindled. It's too embarrassing. Easier on the ego to double down.
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Not to mention it’s hard to reject a lie that affirms your beliefs.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

An investigation of Federal Election Commission records done by the New York Times found that the Trump campaign, in the last two months of 2020, was forced to give hundreds of thousands of refunds in the amount of about $64 million.  In total the campaign refunded $122 million, the newspaper said.

Many of these accidental repeat donors believed they were signing up to give a one-time contribution, the New York Times reported.  Some of the victims of this scheme, like 63-year-old Stacy Blatt, were cancer patients who found themselves unable to pay bills and rent because of the repeated donations to the Trump campaign, the newspaper reported.

It started with an unusual and "aggressive" move:  the addition of a small, bright yellow box on Trump's campaign donation portal in March 2020.  "Make this a monthly recurring donation," the text in the box read.  The box had automatically been checked off as soon as donors landed on the page, the Times reported.

In order to avoid this recurring donation, donors had to manually opt out, the Times said.

Months later, the donation portal added a second pre-checked box.  This time, the box automatically directed an additional contribution from the donor in honor of Trump's birthday in June, according to the Times.

Between June and September, contributions were pouring into the Biden campaign.  So the Trump campaign ramped up its approach.

By September, the text in the initial pre-checked box silently changed from "monthly" to "weekly" donation, according to the newspaper.
(https://www.businessinsider.com/trump- ... ns-2021-4)
And somewhere, someplace, some future Republican candidate is filing this information away for reference and possible use.  "Sure," he (or she) is reasoning, "I might get caught and have to give some of it back.  But probably not ALL of it....."
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Just out of curiosity, is there anyone on this BBS who identifies as a Republican?
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I think I have become a Republicrat - or a Democican.

The latter may be the national symbol of Mexico as shown on that country's flag.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I think it's a Republicratl.

dales

Post by dales »

Sue U wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:17 pm
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone on this BBS who identifies as a Republican?
The late and lamented Lord Jim identified as such.

I was in the GOP many years ago before it went totally off the rails.

I now choose to avoid any political party and vote my conscience.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

While I have voted republican a few times in state and local elections, I have never voted republican in any national election (including for the senate and the house, except for Clifford Case for the senate); I, however, have voted for third party candidates a number of times, including for president. Further, I have never belonged, or donated money, to either major party in any election (although I have donated to particular candidates' campaigns).
Last edited by Big RR on Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Sue U wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:17 pm
Not me.  And even if I was, do you think I'd be that big a damned fool to admit it?
(ducks for cover   :dig    because I know what's going to be incoming from this crowd ....)
-"BB"-

Gob

Post by Gob »

I do! ;-)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Been a registered republican since I could vote. I've voted across the board and more toward the independents and D's over the last several cycles. As noted above, the GOP has gone off the rails and I'm offended, frankly, at what has become of "my party" and vowed to never vote for another "R" as long as the likes of DJT and his minions are the face of it.