Release Sirhan?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Joe Guy

Release Sirhan?

Post by Joe Guy »

I did a search and didn't find another thread on this, so if I missed it, sorry about that.

Governor Newsom should not approve Sirhan's parole. There is no way he should ever be released from prison. He's lucky he wasn't executed. Does anyone here think he should be released?
Sirhan Sirhan, man who assassinated Robert F Kennedy, granted parole

The man who killed Robert F Kennedy was granted parole on Friday after two of the former attorney general, senator and presidential hopeful’s sons spoke in favor of release and prosecutors declined to argue he should be kept behind bars.

The decision was a major victory for Sirhan Sirhan, 77, though it did not assure his release.

The ruling by the two-person panel at Sirhan’s 16th parole hearing will be reviewed over 90 days by the California parole board. Then it will be sent to the governor, who will have 30 days to decide whether to grant it, reverse it or modify it.

Douglas Kennedy, a toddler when his father was killed in 1968, said he was moved to tears by Sirhan’s remorse and said he should be released if he’s not a threat to others.

“I’m overwhelmed just by being able to view Mr Sirhan face-to-face,” he said. “I think I’ve lived my life both in fear of him and his name in one way or another. And I am grateful today to see him as a human being worthy of compassion and love.”

Robert Kennedy, a New York senator and brother of President John F Kennedy, was a Democratic presidential candidate when he was killed on 6 June 1968 at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, moments after delivering a victory speech in the pivotal California primary.

Sirhan, convicted of first-degree murder, has said he doesn’t remember the killing. His lawyer, Angela Berry, argued that the board should base its decision on who Sirhan is today.

Prosecutors declined to participate or oppose his release, under a policy by Los Angeles county district attorney George Gascon, a former police officer who took office last year. Gascon, who said he idolized the Kennedys and mourned RFK’s assassination, believes the prosecutors’ role ends at sentencing and they should not influence decisions to release prisoners.

As Douglas Kennedy spoke, Sirhan, in a blue prison uniform with a paper towel folded like a handkerchief and tucked into his pocket, smiled as Kennedy spoke. Sirhan said he had learned to control his anger and was committed to living peacefully.

Bobby Kennedy addresses campaign workers moments before being shot in Los Angeles in 1968.
“I would never put myself in jeopardy again,” he said. “You have my pledge. I will always look to safety and peace and non-violence.”

Some Kennedy family members, Los Angeles law enforcement officers and the public submitted letters opposing Sirhan’s release, parole board commissioner Robert Barton said at the start of the proceeding, which was held virtually.

“We don’t have a DA here but I have to consider all sides,” Barton said.

Sirhan, a Christian Palestinian from Jordan, has served 53 years. He has acknowledged he was angry at Kennedy for his support of Israel. When asked how he feels about the Middle East conflict today, Sirhan broke down crying and temporarily couldn’t speak.

“Take a few deep breaths,” said Barton, who noted the conflict had not gone away and still touched a nerve.

Sirhan said he doesn’t follow what’s going on in the region but thinks about the suffering of refugees.

“The misery that those people are experiencing. It’s painful,” Sirhan said.

If released, Sirhan could be deported to Jordan. Barton said he was concerned he might become a “symbol or lightning rod to foment more violence”.

Sirhan said he was too old to be involved in the Middle East conflict and would detach himself from it.

“The same argument can be said or made that I can be a peacemaker, and a contributor to a friendly nonviolent way of resolving the issue,” Sirhan said.

Paul Schrade, who was wounded in the shooting, also spoke in favor of his release. Robert F Kennedy Jr, who has spoken in favor of Sirhan’s release in the past, wrote in favor of parole.

Sirhan was sentenced to death but that sentence was commuted to life when the California supreme court briefly outlawed capital punishment in 1972. At his last parole hearing in 2016, commissioners concluded after more than three hours of intense testimony that Sirhan did not show adequate remorse or understand the enormity of his crime.

Sirhan has stuck to his account that he does not remember the killing.

Scooter

Re: Release Sirhan?

Post by Scooter »

I don't feel that strongly about it one way or the other, but was his crime that much more heinous that other politically motivated assassinations, whose perpetrators were eventually released on parole? Both Sara Jane Moore and Squeaky Fromme were sentenced to life for attempting to assassinate Gerald Ford, yet both were paroled after 30 odd years. If a single murder negates the possibility of parole, then the list of LWOPers is going to grow long indeed.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

dales

Post by dales »

He used to hang our with Charles Manson at Corcoran State Prison.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Scooter wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:17 am
I don't feel that strongly about it one way or the other, but was his crime that much more heinous that other politically motivated assassinations, whose perpetrators were eventually released on parole? Both Sara Jane Moore and Squeaky Fromme were sentenced to life for attempting to assassinate Gerald Ford, yet both were paroled after 30 odd years. If a single murder negates the possibility of parole, then the list of LWOPers is going to grow long indeed.
Sirhan originally received the death penalty but got a break when the law was changed. That’s the only break he should get. If he had received a life sentence with a possibility of parole, I might understand his release but still wouldn’t approve of it.
Last edited by Joe Guy on Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'd be curious to know how his 53 years compares with the average California sentence for the typical grocery clerk / drug deal gone wrong / I'd like a new wife please type murder. OK I just looked up the penalty for first degree murder as it now is. Sirhan was of course sentenced under the guidance in force 53 years ago:
In California, a conviction for first degree murder can result in one of three sentences:

- Imprisonment in state prison for a term of 25 years to life;
- Life imprisonment in state prison without the possibility of parole; or
- Death (though it should be noted that capital punishment is currently suspended.)

State laws require a sentence of life imprisonment without parole or death for homicides involving special circumstances set by the California Penal Code. For example, the court must consider whether the defendant:

- committed first degree murder while engaging in a felony or
- avoiding a lawful arrest,
- using a bomb or explosive device, or
- intending to kill another person for financial gain.

The court must also confer a sentence of life imprisonment without parole or death if the defendant:

- committed first degree murder of a peace officer,
- federal law enforcement officer,
- firefighter,
- prosecutor, or
- judge.
I may be wrong, but I suspect that Bobby Kennedy might have been in favor of parole.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

RFK Jr. referenced his father’s values in suggesting that while nobody could speak for him, it was likely he would support parole for Sirhan given the length of incarceration and his rehabilitation.

It is worth noting that more of RFK’s children oppose parole than support it - six of them have urged continued incarceration.

I’m of mixed feelings myself. If the primary purpose of incarceration is rehabilitation than it seems clear Sirhan has largely met that purpose - although it bothers me that he doesn’t fully acknowledge the crime and thus feeds into the conspiracy theories. If the secondary purpose of incarceration is punishment - there is no punishment sufficient for what Sirhan stole from the world by assassinating RFK.

On a very practical political level if I was Newsom I would not in any way affirm this parole recommendation - at least not prior to the recall election.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I remain opposed to the death penalty, but only because of the existence of the penalty of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. But in order for that penalty to exist as a real alternative to death, "without the possibility of parole" must actually mean "without the possibility of parole." That said, I also agree with Joe's point that Sirhan already got one break and that's all he should get.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I vote to keep him locked up. In my own mind, incarceration for more than 50 years is a punishment worse than a swiftly carried out death penalty. Unhappily, our system has evolved to the point that the death penalty is only imposed after a time so great that the prisoner has probably has no clear recollection of the circumstances that brought them to the execution chamber.

snailgate

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

He's 77 and not a threat. Release him and deport him back to Jordan.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:58 pm
Never thought about that second point.

Definitely — declare him persona non grata and give him a one-way ticket.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:03 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:

I'm kinda curious how that would work. How do you deport someone to Jordan who left there 65 years ago? Do you drop him from an airplane or are there designated spots for returning convicted murderers to their homeland?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:38 pm
RFK Jr. referenced his father’s values in suggesting that while nobody could speak for him, it was likely he would support parole for Sirhan given the length of incarceration and his rehabilitation.

It is worth noting that more of RFK’s children oppose parole than support it - six of them have urged continued incarceration.
I think I'm in agreement that compared to other CA killers, his incarceration seems to be abnormal.

RFKJr has developed some kooky ideas about vaccination and autism caused by MMR. He also thinks - and I did not know this - that Sirhan did not kill his Dad.

I think he's right about a lot of environmental stuff but he loses credibility with some of his other craziness.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:23 am
Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:03 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:

I'm kinda curious how that would work. How do you deport someone to Jordan who left there 65 years ago? Do you drop him from an airplane or are there designated spots for returning convicted murderers to their homeland?
If Jordan won't take him, leave him in a rowboat in international waters.

rubato

Post by rubato »

dales wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:46 am
He used to hang our with Charles Manson at Corcoran State Prison.
so you are his fanboy too?

yrs,
rubato