It's his age you know

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Gob

It's his age you know

Post by Gob »

Scott Morrison has been called many things, but “that fella down under” may be the one that stays with the Australian prime minister the longest.

The blunder came as the US president, Joe Biden, announced a trilateral security partnership with Britain and Australia, called Aukus. It will see the US share nuclear technology that will help Australia create a multibillion-dollar fleet of nuclear-powered submarines.

During the historic announcement, Biden turned to the British prime minister to pay his gratitude for this new phase of cooperation.

“Thank you, Boris,” he said.

Then, looking towards a TV screen on which Morrison was appearing via video link, Biden appeared to hesitate.

“And I want to thank that fella down under. Thank you very much pal,” Biden said. He added: “Appreciate it Mr prime minister.”

Morrison did the only thing you could: he gave Biden a thumbs up.

The US president eventually got it right.

“I’m honoured today to be joined by two of Australia’s closest allies, Australia and the United Kingdom, to launch a new phase of the trilateral security cooperation among our countries,” he said moments later. “As prime minister Morrison and prime minister Johnson said, I want to thank you for this partnership …”
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Sue U

Re: It's his age you know

Post by Sue U »

Ok, it's his age. What do you want to do about it?
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Can you not get a younger one, preferably sane unlike the last one, and preferably with a room temperature IQ unlike Bush the lesser?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Thank god we only have a senile fool in office instead of an senile fool demagogue?

Baby steps
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:04 pm
Thank god we only have a senile fool in office instead of an senile fool demagogue?

Baby steps
:lol:

Okay but sorry, that’s total bullshit. I started forgetting names on occasion in my early 40s when I went into perimenopause. All the women I know who have experienced perimenopause have occasional forgetfulness of names or other incidental details - like why did I walk into this room? I also know a great many men who report the same kind of forgetfulness at midlife and beyond.

Conversely, neuroscience research has established that older folks are actually wiser/smarter than younger folks, it’s not just anecdotal wisdom of the ages anymore. Older people's brains work better in many ways than young whippersnapper brains do.

As someone who works every day with patients with actual dementia, I assure you that forgetting a name in the heat of the spotlight like Biden did in this case does not indicate dementia. Dementia is a lot more than typical occasional forgetfulness. Biden has more on his mind than any of us at any given moment and I think he’s doing great handling all that information processing.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Older brains can be better, smarter brains

Forgetting a name or two, taking longer to finish the crossword, or finding it hard to manage several tasks at once doesn't mean dementia is just around the corner. These experiences may actually be signs that the aging brain is changing the way it works. In many ways, it's actually working better. Older people have better judgment, are better at making rational decisions, and are better able to screen out negativity than their juniors, reports the April 2015 Harvard Women's Health Watch.

"The brain begins to compensate by using more of itself," explains Dr. Bruce Yankner, professor of genetics and co-director of the Paul F. Glenn Laboratories for the Biological Mechanisms of Aging at Harvard Medical School.

Here are several ways an older individual may outperform his or her younger self:

Inductive reasoning. Older people are less likely to rush to judgment and more likely to reach the right conclusion based on the information at hand. This is an enormous help in everyday problem solving, from planning the most efficient way to do errands to managing staff at work.

Verbal expression. During middle age, many people continue to expand their vocabulary and hone their ability to express themselves.

Basic math. Splitting the check and figuring the tip when lunching with friends may come easier simply due to years of practice.

Accentuating the positive. The amygdala, the area of the brain that consolidates emotion and memory, is less responsive to negatively charged situations in older people than in younger ones. This may explain why studies have shown that people over 60 tend to brood less.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan