Wasn't It Great that Trump Didn't Accept His Presidential Salary?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Joe Guy

Wasn't It Great that Trump Didn't Accept His Presidential Salary?

Post by Joe Guy »

That means he saved our government a lot of money, doesn't it?.... (His total salary for his 4 yr term was $1.6 Million)
Trump's Extra Secret Service Protection For Allies, Kids Cost Taxpayers $1.7 Million

Former President Donald Trump’s order to extend Secret Service protection to key allies and all of his adult children cost taxpayers $1.7 million, The Washington Post reported Friday.

Secret Service protection once a president is out of office is typically provided for the former president and first lady for life, and for any children until they reach age 16.

But Trump ordered the protection provided for six months after he left office for all four of his adult children and their spouses. He also extended protection to former Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows and former national security adviser Robert O’Brien.

Secret Service agents racked up costs trailing Trump’s wealthy adult children at “ski vacations, weekend houses, a resort in Cabo San Lucas, and business trips abroad,” the Post noted.

Former-President Trump's children will have U.S. Secret Service protection available to them. Before he left office, Trump signed a memorandum extending Secret Service protection by six months for all of his children.

“Who wouldn’t enjoy continuing their free limo service and easy access to restaurant tables?” asked Jim Helminski, a former Secret Service executive. “Even if there was a credible risk to family and associates of Trump, these people are now private citizens who can afford to hire ... private security firms for their personal protection,” he told the Post.

The most jaw-dropping expenditures were the $52,000 spent to guard Mnuchin, a multimillionaire, during a trip in June to Israel to scout new business opportunities, followed by a trip to a conference in Qatar. Costs included $11,000 for agents’ rooms at Qatar’s St. Regis Doha, according to government spending records, the Post reported.

Mnuchin’s total Secret Service tab hit $479,000, and included $114,000 for rooms at a W Hotel in Los Angeles, Vanity Fair noted.

Mnuchin told the newspaper that he didn’t ask for the extra protection. But he was free to turn it down, which he didn’t, the Post noted.

No one else covered by extra protection responded to the Post’s requests for comment.
source

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Wasn't It Great that Trump Didn't Accept His Presidential Salary?

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

So, you'd be much happier if he'd cost the taxpayer $1.6 + 1.7 million then? :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:01 am
So, you'd be much happier if he'd cost the taxpayer $1.6 + 1.7 million then? :lol:
Except that it didn't save the taxpayers anything. In fact, it probably cost taxpayers more.

Why? Because he "donated" his salary, as a tax write-off. So not only did the taxpayers still get to pay the salary, the treasury didn't even get back the normal federal income tax.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m surprised the expenditures were so low, frankly. My disgust meter broke a long time ago re: the raping of the treasury by these multimillionaires.

I doubt very much the agents who got to enjoy the luxury accommodations and travel to exotic places are complaining much.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:44 am
I doubt very much the agents who got to enjoy the luxury accommodations and travel to exotic places are complaining much.
The agents were there to do a job.  I doubt there was a whole lot of free time to 'enjoy the luxury accommodations and travel to exotic places'.
That's almost as bad as saying that the Africans brought to the US on the slave ships should be grateful for their ocean cruise and the chance to improve their lives through exposure to Western culture.

Come to think of it, people HAVE said that  ...  and with a straight face, too.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?