I worry about Fauci

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

I worry about Fauci

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The hatred for this man is almost unbounded. See this piece from the Daily Mail. This follows on from the Senate interview with Sen Marshall (R-KS) a few days ago.

We learned from this that Fauci makes $430,000 a year as head of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases; and his wife makes $176,000 as head of Bioethics at NIH. Golly - that's more than the President makes. (I am reminded of Babe Ruth's comment when he was told that he made more than President Hoover: "Well, I had a better year."). Sounds like a lot but when you go to the Kansas public employee salary website he would only be #15 in the state list behind several doctors who are head of this or that state medical institute. And BTW that list does not include some of the KU athletics coaches who make far more but are LLCs. According to Wikipedia he made $4 million last year. That's a rant for another day.

According to the DM Fauci and his wife are worth $10.4 million between them. That's not very surprising if they make $600,000 a year.

In headline font which I won't bother to reproduce DM tells us:
How Fauci has profited from the pandemic: Senator he called 'moron' leaks his unredacted financial disclosures that show he raked in $5,000 from one virtual event and he and his wife are worth at least $10 million
Dr Anthony Fauci is the highest-paid federal employee - earning more than President Joe Biden
Fauci earns $434,312 as head of the NIAID while presidents earn $400,000 annually since 2001
New disclosures show he also receives royalties exceeding $100,000 a year from medical textbooks
In 2020 he accepted a $5,000 'travel reimbursement' to virtually attend the RFK Ripple of Hope gala
Publicly available salary information for Fauci shows he earned $3.6 million from 2010 to 2019
He will make roughly $2.5 million more for the years 2020 through 2024 if he stays on through Biden's term
Fauci's wife, Christine Grady, earns $176,000 as Chief of the Department of Bioethics at the NIH
His investment accounts total $8,337,940.90, while she is worth $2,083,097.09, leaked declarations show
Fauci's records show that he was paid $13,298 to attend four galas and ceremonies - three of them virtual

But just go down the page and read the comments. Sort them by 'Best Rated'. This what you get:

So 'Fauci lied, people died.' gets 2134 upvotes and 213 down votes. (One of those is mine. You don't have to register to vote on a comment but you may get junk e mails.)

That's a 10:1 ratio. I'm sure if you sat Fauci down and said 'Tell us about all the mis-steps you've made about HIV and SARS-CoV-2' he'd probably say - 'How long have you got, or shall I just do the top 10?'

I don't hero worship Fauci but I think he's a competent thoughtful doctor who I first came across early in the HIV/AIDS story. He's well paid but could make a lot lot lot more in private companies or academic settings. I am truly worried about his safety - he gets death threats and some of these people have guns and the conviction that they are right - but if the Rs take Congress and/or the Senate in ten months from now, I'd hate to think what his fate might be.

This is in-fucking-sanity. I know it's not a scientific survey and a much more recent properly conducted poll had 52% of people thinking he should resign. But still . . .

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: I worry about Fauci

Post by Bicycle Bill »

If you click on xKA's link, the #1 salary in 2021 went to Jeffrey Paul Long.  The site lists him as "Director Major Division/School"; when you type his name into Google it says he is the Athletic Director at the University of Kansas — not the chancellor or university president, not the head coach, but just the overseer of the athletic department.  And as xKA noted, other high-paying individuals such as the head coaches for the football and basketball teams have made themselves business entities such as an LLC rather than individuals and are not even listed.

And of course it wouldn't do to point out to this same senator that Trump reaped countless thousands above and beyond his presidential salary through his outright grift, 'legally' raiding the US Treasury for mind-boggling amounts in expenses — paid to his own business enterprises — for food and lodging of the Secret Service cadre during his stays at Trump Tower or Mar-a-Lago.

And he has the chutzpah to try to shame Fauci for accepting less honorarium money for making speeches than a sports figure like Lebron James gets for signing autographs??
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Fauci makes that much because he’s been on the GS scale for 50+ years - ANYBODY who worked for the US government that long in a comparable position would be making that much. He could have retired with a full pension years and years ago but has stayed on because he loves his work, loves to work and knows the value in terms of mental and physical health of continuing to work, and cares about the people he serves.

And yes the amount of savings he and his wife have accumulated is reasonable considering their combined salaries and that they don’t live large. The $5000 stipend for participation in a charitable event is nothing compared to what most of the evil fuckers slandering him are raking in - Rand Paul is fundraising daily on his ‘Fire Fauci’ platform even though he has zero power to Fire Fauci but he’s getting thousands and thousands in small donations from his low intelligence high rage followers who don’t know better.

The whole thing is just sickening and I share your concern, Fauci and his family are targets for potential attack or even assassination by the thousands of nutjobs being inflamed by Paul and his ilk on FOX, Alex Jones, Joe Rogan, etc.

Fauci as you mentioned has been entirely forthcoming about mistakes made by himself and public health officials in general in trying to manage messaging around a novel virus that is shifting and changing and about which they are learning as they go. Sadly a vast swath of American citizens are either science illiterate or totally brainwashed by disinformation so what is absolutely normal status quo in the science realm is interpreted by them as nefarious or conspiratorial.

It’s all fucking fucked. I’m grateful for Fauci and I know millions more Americans are, but honestly I wouldn’t blame the guy if he took his wife and kids and $10 million and retired to New Zealand.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Fauci makes that much because he’s been on the GS scale for 50+ years - ANYBODY who worked for the US government that long in a comparable position would be making that much.
Not to mention he is an MD; MDs always make more in their positions than people with other degrees (like PhDs). I did a quick check and the president of the Medical College of Wisonsin (a smallish medical school with 1200 students) makes over $1.5 million a year, a lot more than presidents of similar institutions who do not hold MDs; it's almost in the football coach's range. Indeed, that dwarfs the $430,000 that Fauci makes for supervising a major part of the NIH.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Obviously, his pay is not a real issue, his performance though is a fair and substantial concern. He has lost the thread and depending on the poll you look at a majority would like him to resign or just a bare majority approve of him (meaning best case scenario about half the country disapproves and does not trust him), and in any event it is clear his support numbers have plummeted this year, even support from D-voters has dropped 12 percentage points in the last year, with similar drops from R and I voters. I see no substantial evidence that he has owned up to his many mistakes but then I tuned him out a long time ago and instead listen to leading researchers and doctors who are more measured and still have their credibility.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Long Run wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:02 pm
Obviously, his pay is not a real issue, his performance though is a fair and substantial concern. He has lost the thread and depending on the poll you look at a majority would like him to resign or just a bare majority approve of him (meaning best case scenario about half the country disapproves and does not trust him), and in any event it is clear his support numbers have plummeted this year, even support from D-voters has dropped 12 percentage points in the last year, with similar drops from R and I voters. I see no substantial evidence that he has owned up to his many mistakes but then I tuned him out a long time ago and instead listen to leading researchers and doctors who are more measured and still have their credibility.
I drafted a longer detailed reply pointing to the science and the facts that refute your argument but that got swallowed by a Safari/user glitch. So I’ll just stick with this: your post is total excrement. IMNSHO.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I kinda see it like this. Let's say the Russians listened to liberty and decided to attack us from the north with a bunch of troops (let's pretend they just quietly attacked Alaska and then skipped through Canada). Then a top expert in military strategies is designated to advise us on how to protect ourselves. We'll call him Dr Warfauch. So, millions of people run out and start buying firearms and ammunition. Dr Warfauch says, "Don't do that. We need to focus on arming our military troops and letting them do their job." Then our troops start fighting and pushing the Russians back. The manufacturing of weapons and ammunition increases and the military is well stocked, then Dr Warfauch says, "It's okay to buy guns & ammo but don't shoot people just because they look Russian and you should always avoid war zones." In the meantime the then current President Trumpkin is telling people not to worry about anything Dr Warfauch is saying, he's not going to carry a gun because it wouldn't look good as he sits at the Resolute Desk and people don't need to be told to buy guns & ammo (but he has armed guards with him at all times and carries a 44 magnum in his otherwise unoccupied underpants).

After Trumpkin loses the White House, suddenly, Russian troops are in several of the northern states and spreading southward after having killed approximately 600,000 people. Dr Warfauch announces that it's probably not a bad idea to have more than one firearm, a helmet, flak jacket and plenty of ammunition on hand if you're gonna walk around in those occupied states and eventually all occupied 50 states because they will very likely be invaded.

In the meantime, there's a Senator - let's call him Senator Pallbearer - who claims that Dr Warfauch sent money to the Russian Military prior to their attacking us. On television he pressures and accuses Dr Warfauch of being responsible for the Russian attack and refuses to allow Dr Warfauch respond. Dr Warfauch disputes Pallbearer's accusations vehemently and Senator Pallbearer quickly becomes very popular on Fox, OAN, Newsmax etc. The TV hosts for those stations all take Pallbearer's side and often comment on what a hypocrite Dr Warfauch has been. These stations create polls that show Dr Warfauch is losing the confidence of the American people - and he makes too damn much money!

In the meantime, Dr Warfauch continues to explain to the public that War Is Hell and as time passes, strategies for dealing with the Russian attack and infiltration of our country will change.

After much time has passed, it doesn't matter what Dr Warfauch says to the anti-Warfauch people anymore. They believe, as their former disgraced one-term president continues to imply, that Dr Warfauch is responsible for every death caused by the Russian troops and that he probably voted for President Biden at least three times in the last election using Dominion voting machines and laser beams from Jewish satellites.

In the meantime, we are still waiting on the money from the Mexican president so we can build a bullet proof southern border...

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Long Run wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:02 pm
He has lost the thread and depending on the poll you look at a majority would like him to resign or just a bare majority approve of him
All that means is that the constant drumbeat from the likes of Gym Jordan has an effect. This is the same guy who thinks that the election was stolen so why would anyone take medical advice from him. I watched some sort of press conference with him on you tube and there must have ben five easily refutable lies from him in about 30 seconds. But no matter - he takes off his jacket so we can all see him in his shirt sleeves working for the American people and he has a loud voice so he must be telling the truth.

And the comments on these you tube pieces: there are people who really want to try Fauci for war crimes.