WWIII? Or just a little fuckery?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Jarlaxle

Re: WWIII? Or just a little fuckery?

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:57 pm

Judging from the way the Wehrmacht rolled through much of Europe — including pushing the British back across the Channel — less than two years later, they were a lot more ready than you're willing to give them credit for.   Or they were sure able to fix that shortcoming in a big hurry.
-"BB"-
Capturing Czechoslovakia intact was actually a big part of it. Without that, they probably don't conquer France. Between a quarter and a third of their tank strength in France was Czech-built Pz35(t) and Pz38(t). (The Czech LTvz35 was equal to and the LTvz38 was superior to most German tanks of the era.) Later, the Skoda works produced Pz38(t) chassis for tank destroyers, many using modified Russian 76mm field guns. Later, the Hetzer was also built on LT38 running gear. The Germans also used hundreds of Skoda 47mm AT guns, both as guns and mounted on light tank chassis as tank-killers, as well as heavy artillery, mortars, machine guns, and ammunition.

Many people do not realize how industrialized Czechoslovakia was by 1938. Notably, their gunsmithing was good enough that the British Bren gun is a licenced copy of the Czech ZB-30, and the Besa tank machine gun was a BSA-built copy of the Czech ZB-53. (Interestingly, the Besa in British service still used the 7.92mm Mauser round.)

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I didn't know that about the Czech origins of much UK WW2 materiel.

Of course US car makers' German subsidiaries (Ford of Germany, renamed Fordwerke, and GM's Opel) were hugely important in the German war effort and there wasn't much the parent companies could do about that once the war began. But during the 30s Detroit was very supportive and of course the gross antisemite Henry Ford's heart was very much with his buddy Hitler. Opel's Detroit owners continued to support the German war effort well after the invasion of Poland and the British declaration of war.

More here.

liberty

Post by liberty »

I was disappointed to hear the governor of Florida say that we shouldn't be supporting Ukraine in its fight against Russia's aggression. He's wrong, but I can see his point that a country can destroy itself through overspending; however, if you don't stop a bully, he's just going to keep pushing. And someday, it will be our turn to face the bear.

I hope he doesn't run for president. I don't want to be in the position of having to vote for someone I know is making a mistake, but on the other hand, the Democrat party wants to turn the Supreme Court into a puppet show and dismantle safeguards that protect our liberty.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

liberty wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:34 am
I was disappointed to hear the governor of Florida say that we shouldn't be supporting Ukraine in its fight against Russia's aggression. He's wrong, but I can see his point that a country can destroy itself through overspending; however, if you don't stop a bully, he's just going to keep pushing. And someday, it will be our turn to face the bear.

I hope he doesn't run for president.
Every now and then I agree with you lib. Except that my dream scenario is that both DeSantis and Trump (as an independent) run for President in 2024 splitting the RW vote. I don't see it happening but hope never dies. My worry is that DeSantis may just be a marginally competent version of Trump - let's not forget that Trump's saving grace was his sheer ineptitude.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Yep, that is a thought that keeps me up at night too--what if the right-wingers get behind someone who is like Trump, but a competent administrator?

Then again, I remember the maxim sometimes attributed to PT Barnum "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the American people" and I roll over and go back to sleep

snailgate

liberty

Post by liberty »

Oh my God, think of the horror of making America a great country with a higher standard of living for the blue Collor scum with more freedom for all, and better security for the nation—safer streets and ensuring our children's future prosperity and freedom, how horrible that would be.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I assume - and lib, please correct me if I am wrong - that 'blue Collor scum' is intended as a sardonic reference to manual workers and does not convey your opinion of them. Nor mine. And of course the greatest source of the blue collar worker's freedom and prosperity is the trade union, not the efforts of the wealthy über class. And the greatest support to the trade unions - which are not without their problems - is the Democratic Party.

Welcome, lib. I'll be round later with the boys to pick up your membership dues and I will send George Soros his cut so you don't have to. (He splits it with the Big Guy but we no longer give Hunter the penny in the dollar because he has been careless with the IT.)

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Andy, can you send somebody around my place? I need new stamps for my little red card. The Wobblies and I seem to have lost track of each other (I was a dues paying member in the 70's) Last I could find, more than a decade ago, their Hq was in Philly but they never returned my calls or letters.

snailgate.

liberty

Post by liberty »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:03 pm
I assume - and lib, please correct me if I am wrong - that 'blue Collor scum' is intended as a sardonic reference to manual workers and does not convey your opinion of them. Nor mine. And of course the greatest source of the blue collar worker's freedom and prosperity is the trade union, not the efforts of the wealthy über class. And the greatest support to the trade unions - which are not without their problems - is the Democratic Party.

Welcome, lib. I'll be round later with the boys to pick up your membership dues and I will send George Soros his cut so you don't have to. (He splits it with the Big Guy but we no longer give Hunter the penny in the dollar because he has been careless with the IT.)
I was channeling Hillary Clinton. That's her code; blue-collar scum means the same as deplorable.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

liberty wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:40 pm

I was channeling Hillary Clinton. That's her code; blue-collar scum means the same as deplorable.
Yes, can you please provide me with the source for that utterly-made-up-by-you bullshit "quote" from HRC?

I know you cannot because er . . . you lie
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:33 am
liberty wrote:

Yes, can you please provide me with the source for that utterly-made-up-by-you bullshit "quote" from HRC?

NOT THAT I'M SUPPORTING LIB OR THE ORANGE BUFFOON, BUT ....
in the interest of the discussion:
“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”
Remarks made by HRC at an "LGBT for Hillary gala" / campaign rally in New York City, 09/09/2016
  ...  (source: Time.com article published the following day)

liberty, who I'm sure considers himself one of the blue-collar workers (? — not sure whathehell he does now for a living; all I know for sure is that he's pissed that he didn't get to play with the doggies in the military), has taken a phrase that HRC DID utter and, through a series of mental gymnastics that could win an Olympic gold medal, has put his own definition and meaning onto it AND has deluded himself into believing it, while completely ignoring the descriptors that HRC herself used to qualify the term.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Thanks, Bill. Yes, I knew that statement from HRC and assumed it was what lib was lying about. To my certain knowledge, not all Trumptraitors are blue-collar by any means. The middle class and educated ones are equally deplorable. I was keen to know if lib had an actual quote in which HRC defined "deplorables" as blue-collar scum - knowing that he didn't, of course.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

liberty

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:33 am
liberty wrote:

You are stupid or a lying son of a bitch. I won't lie, but apparently, you do. If leftists have the right to hear dog whistles, read minds, and translate the words of others from English to English, so do I. I was clear in what I was saying, and implying otherwise makes you a liar. Let me turn my attention to reading your mind. OK, here's what you're thinking: "I'm such a little coward. I'm so scared that they won't like me. I have to say what they want to hear". Go back to England; you are too scared to be a good American.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

liberty wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:47 pm
Something something something
I know that it's hard to deal with English as a second language but let me help. HRC is quoted thus:

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it"

You suggest that she believes that only blue collar Trump supporters are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic and Islamaphobic.

History has shown that Trump enjoys the support of American racist, sexist, homophobe, xenophobe and Islamaphobes from all walks of life, including college educated lawyers and politicians.

So, either HRC is incredibly stupid not to notice that "deplorables" applies across the board, or your code-breaking is horse-shit.

HRC is not stupid

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Or perhaps liberty himself believes that it's only "blue Collor scum" who are "the racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic"???
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Econoline wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:45 pm
Or perhaps liberty himself believes that it's only "blue Collor scum" who are "the racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic"???
Yes it does seem to me that liberty’s view of HRC’s comments is skewed by his own bias. Maybe he doesn’t have much experience of rubbing elbows with UMC/white collar and elite deplorables, but they exist aplenty and HRC is well aware, she has been navigating them for decades.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Since when are Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham "blue-collar scum"? Scum, sure, but blue collar?
GAH!

liberty

Post by liberty »

Is this the way to win a war, Pentagon Papers II?

"Top-Secret Leak

Classified war documents on U.S. and NATO efforts to support Ukraine’s military ahead of a planned spring counteroffensive were posted to social media this week. The leaked documents, at least one of which is labeled “Top Secret,” reportedly include maps of Ukraine as well as information on troop and battalion strengths, anticipated weapons deliveries, and casualty numbers. The material, which is dated March 1, does not include detailed battle plans but does provide a glimpse into the Ukrainian military’s status as of five weeks ago. The documents, which seem to have appeared on the internet as early as March 1 and 2, were later posted to Twitter and Telegram.

Later on Friday, another trove of classified information was published on 4chan, an online anonymous message board. More than 100 pages were posted, which included sensitive U.S. briefing slides on topics like China, Indo-Pacific military issues, the Middle East, and terrorism, according to the New York Times. One slide was labeled “Secret/No Forn,” meaning not to be shared with foreign governments. A senior intelligence official who spoke to the Times called this leak a “nightmare for the Five Eyes” intelligence alliance, which is composed of the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.

As of now, it’s unclear who published any of the classified information and why, though the U.S. Defense Department has launched an investigation. Pentagon officials have acknowledged that they are legitimate Defense Department documents; however, some of the content seems to have been altered to inflate Ukraine’s casualty numbers. U.S. defense officials indicate this may be part of a push to further Moscow’s disinformation efforts; pro-Russian online accounts have actively publicized the documents since their release. “As many of these were pictures of documents, it appears that it was a deliberate leak done by someone that wished to damage the Ukraine, U.S., and NATO efforts,” Mick Mulroy, a former senior Pentagon official, told the Times.

Although neither sets of released papers seem to provide specific details such as when and where the anticipated Ukrainian military offensive will occur, they do provide important intelligence about the timing of weapons and troop deliveries as well as the progress of troop buildups—both things that could potentially provide Moscow with a tactical advantage. Some military analysts predict the spring strike will focus on Russian-occupied territory in southeastern Ukraine, but according to Ukrainian national security chief Oleksiy Danilov, no more than five people know when and where the spring strike will take place.

As for best strategies, retired U.S. Navy Adm. James Stavridis thinks Ukraine’s military should “drive to the Black Sea and split the Russians” on two flanks, coming up behind them. Speaking on FP Live on Thursday, the former NATO supreme allied commander said such an effort would “complicate their ability to manage logistics.” For more from Stavridis, including why he thinks Russian President Vladimir Putin is unlikely to use nuclear weapons and why Washington should go all-in on supporting Kyiv, watch, read, or listen to the interview here."

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The Village Idiot wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:27 am
Is this the way to win a war
It is certainly a way for Russophile traitors within the DOD to undermine the war effort.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

liberty

Post by liberty »

I wouldn't pay any attention to Shit Head; it is a shithead that is too stupid to be taken seriously. It is just too stupid; really, it thinks, if you want to call it that, the totalitarian communist governments of the 20th century to the present were and are right-wingers. Just how far has the infection progressed for it to think like that?