WWIII? Or just a little fuckery?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

Re: WWIII? Or just a little fuckery?

Post by BoSoxGal »

Saw Angus King on Morning Joe today, he said most of the correspondence he’s getting from constituents is asking why we don’t do more, a no fly zone, or just take out Putin and get it over with. Mainers aren’t war mongerers in general but they do respond to clearly monstrous crimes against humanity.

If Putin has Parkinson’s that would make his irrational war much more understandable to me. Parkinson’s dementia causes reactive behaviors and emotional lability and dysregulation that can manifest as paranoia and aggression among other moods and behaviors. Considering clients I’ve worked with who were in that state, it’s very frightening to think of such a person having control of a massive stockpile of nuclear weapons.

The mayor of Mariupol is reporting more mass graves have been discovered. I wonder at what number of dead does it trigger general acceptance of the declaration that a genocide is occurring?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

It’s not WW3 unless the conflict spreads beyond Russia and Belarus. If we could get assurances from China that it would at least stay out of it Russia would fold. Problem is that is not in Chinas interests nor would it be in ours if the situation were reversed.

Personally I’m for letting Ukraine decide it’s own fate. The world hasn’t done it any favors as it allows Russia to slaughter them by the millions every few decades.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

liberty

Post by liberty »

I know that you’re about ready to start singing so I’ll start it for you all; "All we are saying is to give peace a chance. All we are saying is to give peace a chance. All we are saying is to give peace a chance". All you are saying is give Putin a chance, after all, Ukraine is part of Russia. They are the same people are they not? Putin is just trying to liberate the Ukrainian people for all the Slavic people just like Vietnam and Putin is really in his heart a communist that’s all it takes so let’s sing it again: "All we are saying is give peace a chance". Cut off the money, cut off the arms and give peace a chance. Hey hey Biden how many kids did you kill today? Are you guys ready to break; maybe you are not since somebody else is doing the dying
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

liberty wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:06 am
I know that you’re about ready to start singing so I’ll start it for you all; "All we are saying is to give peace a chance. All we are saying is to give peace a chance. All we are saying is to give peace a chance". All you are saying is give Putin a chance, after all, Ukraine is part of Russia. They are the same people are they not? Putin is just trying to liberate the Ukrainian people for all the Slavic people just like Vietnam and Putin is really in his heart a communist that’s all it takes so let’s sing it again: "All we are saying is give peace a chance". Cut off the money, cut off the arms and give peace a chance. Hey hey Biden how many kids did you kill today? Are you guys ready to break; maybe you are not since somebody else is doing the dying
Have you seen a doctor about that brain tumor?
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I almost got whiplash from how fast Ukraine fell off the front page. Oh well I guess we sent a bunch of guns and stuff - cool killing toys. We could kill two birds with one stone if we just sent them all the AR-15s.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

There is an oft told story among the 2nd Amendment fixated, that early in WWII American citizens voluntarily gave away their privately owned firearms to donate to the English for home defense. I have no valid information about how wide-spread this was or if it really happened.

Snailgate

liberty

Post by liberty »

When millions of Africans are starving because they can’t get the grain from Russia and Ukraine the pressure to end the war and give Russia a victory so that black people in Africa can eat will be great. If you still support the Ukrainian's right to resist the Russians then you’re racist and a war criminal for starving millions of black people. That’s why you can’t beat Russia that’s why they will eventually win unless, of course, Ukraine can kill enough Russians that Putin decides it’s just not worth it.

Unlike you All I will not give in even if hell freezes over be cause if you do you’re going to be a slave; people like Putin can always work the propaganda for a victory. And you can’t tell me that the other wheat-producing countries in the world can’t make up the difference. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Putin hasn’t made secret deals with heads of African charities to promote his idea of the starving masses giving him victory .
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

liberty proves he has little grasp of farming when he suggests that in June the rest of the wheat producing nations could just pick up the slack if they wanted.

Ukraine and Russia produce like 1/3 of the world’s wheat, and a similarly high percentage of the world’s fertilizer - so how exactly are farmers elsewhere, many without fertilizer, supposed to pick up that slack?
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

the grain from Russia and Ukraine the pressure to end the war and give Russia a victory so that black people in Africa can eat will be great. If you still support the Ukrainian's right to resist the Russians then you’re racist and a war criminal for starving millions of black people.
. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Putin hasn’t made secret deals with heads of African charities to promote his idea of the starving masses giving him victory .
:lol: :lol: What a maroon :lol: :lol:

liberty

Post by liberty »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:27 pm
the grain from Russia and Ukraine the pressure to end the war and give Russia a victory so that black people in Africa can eat will be great. If you still support the Ukrainian's right to resist the Russians then you’re racist and a war criminal for starving millions of black people.
. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Putin hasn’t made secret deals with heads of African charities to promote his idea of the starving masses giving him victory .
That is the best you can do? No, it is not good enough.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

liberty wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:06 pm
Unlike you All I will not give in
Surely, one of the great reassurances that the Ukraine has been seeking? lib will not "give in", so all their problems are solved! That's the spirit that made many tiny things assume huge dementians!

How magnanimous! How heartening! The dead salute you, lib! You will "not" give in! No matter how often those Russians invade your yard - turf your lawn - toilet-paper your trees - you will NEVER surrender!

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

liberty wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:15 am
Big RR wrote:
Good enough for what? Clearly it's "good enough" to respond to your post; at least it makes a lot more sense. But if you think you can do better, be my guest.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:15 pm
liberty wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:15 am
Big RR wrote:

Good enough for what? Clearly it's "good enough" to respond to your post; at least it makes a lot more sense. But if you think you can do better, be my guest.
So you don’t think that Putin can use propaganda to turn the American people against the Ukraine war and cut off the supply of arms to Ukraine. Why don’t you believe that it is it has happened before, in Vietnam.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

No, I don't think he's that good.

The anti-Vietnam movement was essentially home grown by people who didn't buy the propaganda of Eisenhower/Kennedy/Johnson/Nixon, when a free press showed us what was actually going on and what we were fighting for, and people stood up and said No. Of course, the politicians couldn't accept that the people were against them, and so they just blamed the communists. Did the Kremlin enjoy the unrest Vietnam created? No doubt they did, but they didn't manufacture it.

Personally, I don't think Putin cares about what the US people think of Russia or the Ukraine, unlessmaybe the US were to decide to intervene militarily, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I see the Putin regime has solved the problem of urban warfare-- Just level the place with long range artillery. Adequate solution given the Russians' historical treatment of Ukraine. Puzzles me how both sides seem to be unable to break the other's supply lines.

snailgate.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Vietnam All Over Again?

How much are the Russians paying Biden?

Top U.S. General Reveals Grim Assessment of Ukraine’s Battlefield Deaths (msn.com)

The top U.S. military officer on Wednesday confirmed staggering statistics of the Ukrainian military’s battlefield losses as their war with Russia devolves into a grinding, one-sided artillery battle in the country’s east.

Speaking alongside Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin in Brussels after meeting with allies involved in supporting Ukraine, Gen. Mark Milley said public assessments that as many as 200 Ukrainians soldiers are dying every day match the American military’s understanding of the battlefield carnage.
Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
Ad
LendingTree

The Ukrainian military is suffering from roughly 100 killed-in-action every day, and 100 to 300 wounded-in action, said Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. His comments came shortly after a Ukrainian official leading negotiations with Russia stated as many as 1,000 Ukrainian troops are dying every day.

Milley offered a grim analysis of whether these levels are sustainable for the forces loyal to Kyiv.
“This is an existential threat. They’re fighting for the very life of their country,” the veteran commander of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan said. “So, your ability to endure suffering, to endure casualties is directly proportional to the object to be attained.
“If the object to be attained is the survival of your country, you’re going to sustain it,” he concluded, provided adequate leadership remains in place and the military receives the equipment it needs to keep fighting.

That last point has come under particular scrutiny in recent days. Questions have emerged among analysts – and echoed by some Ukrainian officials publicly – that the Biden administration has not acted swiftly enough in arming Ukraine’s army while also standing by its stated goal of not provoking Russia into a broader war elsewhere in Europe.

Ukrainian military officers operating on the front lines imparted to U.S. News this week their deep frustrations with the inadequacies of the quantity and sophistication of the equipment they’re currently fielding, particularly given what they consider a proven track record of learning how to use advanced systems swiftly.

One officer, speaking on the condition of anonymity, drew particular attention to the Ukrainian military’s inability to proactively defend against Russian artillery along with the need for modern armed drones – two particular features that, he says, should surprise no one who has followed the character of Russian operations since it first invaded Ukrainian territory in 2014.

Moments before Milley and Austin’s remarks, the White House announced the U.S. would send a new aid package of $1 billion in military supplies – to include artillery and coastal defense systems as well as ammunition – and $225 million in humanitarian assistance.

But it remains unclear whether that will sufficiently offset the realities on the ground in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine, where U.S. officials acknowledge Russia has longer-range artillery cannons and many more of them – by a factor of 10 or even 20 – combined with sophisticated drones and other “standoff” weaponry that allow its forces to operate at a relatively safe distance. Milley himself said Wednesday that “the numbers clearly favor the Russians in terms of artillery. In terms of the numbers, they outgun and outrange.”

Austin on Wednesday dismissed questions about claims from Ukraine’s deputy defense minister that the U.S. and its allies have only provided only 10% of what Kyiv has requested. The Pentagon has acknowledged that it is not willing to provide some advanced systems because they would require too much training for the Ukrainian military to make their delivery worthwhile.

“We’ve remained focused on Ukraine’s needs,” Austin said Wednesday. “We understand what those needs are.”
When pressed later by a reporter about the deputy minister’s comments, Austin added, “We just spent time with his boss in the room next door.”
He said they had “gone down line by line” with what Ukraine has requested, as well as – he added notably – “what is relevant in this fight.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The Village Idiot wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:42 am
Vietnam All Over Again?

How much are the Russians paying Biden?
That is quite the delusional take, even for our resident moron.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

According to the Daily Mail (which is always right) Putin has appointed a new top guy to the war in Ukraine:

He's clearly more of a Trojan Horse. According to the Mail, he's 280 pounds. I think they are being kind, which is SO unlike the Mail.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

He’s 400lbs if he’s an ounce.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

"All we are saying is give peace a chance."

What’s happening
With the war in Ukraine continuing into its third month and no resolution in sight, Russian President Vladimir Putin appears to be preparing for a “prolonged conflict” that could drag on for months or even years, National Intelligence Director Avril Haines told Congress last month.

A key element guiding Putin’s new strategy, according to Haines, is his belief that the West will gradually lose interest in supporting Ukraine’s resistance as the war continues to grind on indefinitely. “[Putin is] probably counting on U.S. and EU resolve to weaken as food shortages, inflation and energy prices get worse,” she said.

When Russian forces first invaded in late February, Western nations banded together to swiftly send billions of dollars in military equipment and direct funding while providing significant logistical support to Ukrainian forces. They also levied tough sanctions on the Russian economy that reduced Russia’s ability to sell its fossil fuel exports and severed its ties to the global financial system.

That support has continued as the contours of the conflict have changed, with Russia shifting away its effort to swiftly overwhelm major Ukrainian cities and instead focusing on making incremental progress in eastern regions of the country. Last month, Congress approved an additional $40 billion in military funds, bringing the total U.S. commitment to Ukraine’s war effort to roughly $54 billion. Sanctions against Russia have also contributed increased costs on a range of consumer goods, particularly gas and food prices.

Why there’s debate
In the eyes of observers like former Finnish Prime Minister Alexander Stubb, there is a real danger that “war fatigue” will slowly erode the West’s support for Ukraine as the months pass and the costs of that support continue to mount. They note that depictions of brave Ukrainian resistance, which dominated news coverage and social media in the early days of the war, have been pushed out by other stories. There’s also concern citizens in the U.S. and Europe may not be willing to tolerate higher energy and food prices for months on end. This belief has led some experts, including the former U.S. ambassador to Russia, to encourage the West to to “do more now to hasten the end of the war” before fatigue sets in.