WWIII? Or just a little fuckery?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
liberty

Re: WWIII? Or just a little fuckery?

Post by liberty »

Has anyone noticed how effective Ukraine's militia appears to have been? They are officially called territorial defense forces, but they are the militia. Since you all were well educated, I’m sure everyone here knows that a fighting force composed of non-military civilians is a militia regardless of what it is officially called.

I am surprised they have done as well as they have usually militias are not that effective their only advantage is the tremendous number of troops that can be gathered and put in the field, but it appears that Ukrainians have done a very good job. You know it has to be an assignment from hell; these guys get two hours of training and are ready for combat. They’re doing OJT and learning on the job; the casualty rate must be horrendous. But the longer they survive the more skilled they will become. Hopefully, new recruits are spending some time with regular army units before being assigned to a militia battalion. I understand some battalions are 100% civilian, not a regular army man insight. I suspect they are motivated by the man-made famine and have a horror of ever being helpless again.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

You’re fairly misinformed about Ukraine’s military. I just watched a piece on this the other night - yes they have militia, but they also have a military and they reformed their military with the help of American military consultants over the last decade, building a strong NCO corps which is the backbone of a good military. They’ve also had the benefit of training with NATO military over the last many years and that training is then also shared with the militia units and now they’re sharing it with civilians and newly signed up soldiers from among the ranks of civilians. They’re giving them well more than two hours training, too. Also you have to remember that the Ukrainian military has been fighting a war for the last 8 years, against Russian separatists in the Donbas region. So they’re field experienced.

The piece I saw was very good, I think on CNN. One part was about how retired American military are traveling to Ukraine to help train the new Ukrainian recruits which include lawyers dentists teachers mechanics etc. The very experienced American former marines said the Ukrainians were working as hard as any recruits he’s ever trained. Motivated by everything hanging in the balance.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m reading a very good book from the library called Borderland by Anna Reid - it’s a history of Ukraine up to the mid 1990s. I highly recommend the book for anyone with interest in the country.

It’s terrible watching the daily news and seeing how Putin is leveling the place, wiping out hundreds of years of history and culture along with all the people.

Meanwhile it is getting harder to contemplate a peaceful exit from where we are today with an irrational war criminal at the helm of the largest nuclear arsenal on the planet.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

So now Putin’s forcing Ukrainians to evacuate Mariupol into Russia against their will.

I imagine he’ll be concentrating these prisoner refugees somewhere - like maybe in camps?
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Or as human shields for the Russian troops.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I just want to get my bet on the table now that I’m convinced:

It will end up being WWIII, I bet.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I certainly hope not, and retain the hope that the other oligarchs will take Putin out rather than risk everything on his insanity. I seriously doubt there is any honor or loyalty among those thieves. But if I'm wrong, your prediction may well come true.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Interesting piece on American volunteers to the war in Ukraine:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... in-ukraine
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

1A549DFA-8B7F-42C4-A440-D9DA1D5113BF.jpeg
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Was just about to post that. Great minds ..
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:ok
Scooter wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:54 am
Was just about to post that. Great minds ..
:lol:
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

BSG, is your bet that this is gonna slide into WWIII a form of 'Pascal's Wager" in that you can't lose?

snailgate

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Glorious missile cruiser Moskva now providing critical seabed defense!
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I saw a bit on the news this morning, that all over Ukraine where cities are operational people lined up yesterday to buy the stamp of the initial confrontation between Ukrainian troops and the Moskva at the outbreak of the Russian invasion. There were all talking about how they’d tell their grandchildren the story one day of how Ukraine took down the Russian flagship, and sent hundreds of Russians sailors to the depths to feed the fishes of the Black Sea.
4D3B6B83-D715-4A4D-B297-6B6039E4C51D.jpeg
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Speaking as a part-time philatelist, something doesn't seem right about this.  Don't postage stamps usually carry information such as which country issued them and the value of the stamp?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?