Real courage

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Gob

Real courage

Post by Gob »

An employee on Russia’s state Channel One television has interrupted the channel’s main news programme with an extraordinary protest against Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Marina Ovsyannikova, an editor at Channel One, burst on to the set of the live broadcast of the nightly news on Monday evening, shouting: “Stop the war. No to war.”

She also held a sign saying: “Don’t believe the propaganda. They’re lying to you here.” It was signed in English: “Russians against the war.”

The news anchor continued to read from her teleprompter speaking louder in an attempt to drown out Ovsyannikova, but her protest could be seen and heard for several seconds before the channel switched to a recorded segment.

Ovsyannikova also released a pre-recorded video via the OVD-Info human rights group in which she expressed her shame at working for Channel One and spreading “Kremlin propaganda.”

“Regrettably, for a number of years, I worked on Channel One and worked on Kremlin propaganda, I am very ashamed of this right now. Ashamed that I was allowed to tell lies from the television screen. Ashamed that I allowed the zombification of the Russian people. We were silent in 2014 when this was just beginning. We did not go out to protest when the Kremlin poisoned [opposition leader Alexei] Navalny,” she said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... syannikova
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Re: Real courage

Post by Gob »

275797028_488305396244707_6916705503843061582_n.jpg
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Steven Cobert last night noted this event, which I had seen in several other places. Steven colluded with her lawyer's report of her court appearance that afternoon on a charge of 'hooliganism' {I thought that went away with the soviet era. Perhaps Puttin has revived that too] And was fined 30,000 Rubles. Steven added 'she then said "thank God! I thought it would be real money'"

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

She was questioned for 14 hours and not allowed legal counsel. She was convicted for the video she released prior to the incident on live TV; in the video she encourages Russians to take to the streets ‘the can’t arrest us all.’ She also calls the attack on Ukraine a fratricidal war that ten generations of Russians to come will not be free of the stain of.

The actual live TV incident remains a separate act for which she may still be charged and could face 15 years in prison. The story is far from over.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I expect her to be dead soon.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:53 pm
I expect her to be dead soon.
Well in fairness controversial Russians do have a predilection for standing too close to windows, as history has proven under Putin.

Did Stalin toss people from towers?

PS how psychologically twisted is it that after Putin’s elder sibling starving to death at one year of age under the siege of Leningrad that he would starve the hostage population of Mariupol.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Burning Petard wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:53 pm
Steven colluded with her lawyer's report of her court appearance that afternoon on a charge of 'hooliganism' {I thought that went away with the soviet era. Perhaps Puttin has revived that too] And was fined 30,000 Rubles.
I assume you mean "concluded" rather than "colluded," but y'know, Russia.

I will also note that members of Pussy Riot were convicted of "hooliganism" and jailed for two years in Siberia for singing an anti-Putin song in a church ("Punk Prayer: Mother of God, Chase Putin Away!").
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'm still hoping that, one day soon, Putin will sleep with the fishes.