Trump's Rose Mary Woods' moment

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Trump's Rose Mary Woods' moment

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Except it was bit longer than 18 1/2 minutes so maybe we shouldn't call it a moment.

There is a gap of 7 1/2 hours in Trump's phone calls during the afternoon of Jan 6. No-one can possibly believe that he put his phone down and did not use it for that time. Maybe Trump just didn't know that Presidential communications are supposed to be on the record and preserved. Maybe Putin has them and we can trade a super yacht or two for them.

BoSoxGal

Re: Trump's Rose Mary Woods' moment

Post by BoSoxGal »

Some very good discussions of this on the boob tube tonight.

Full blown conspiracy to COUP, with burner phones. The Wire meets The White House.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

OH THE CYCNICAL CRUELTY. Clearly President Trump was so busy that day that for 7 hours he had no time to take or make phone calls, not even time to go play golf. He must have been busy sprucing up the place for the next tenant.

snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

There's an even simpler solution.  Like most elderly persons (he was 74 at the time of the Storming of the Capitol), he probably got tired and took a healthy nap.  And even as magnificent as Donald, The Great and Powerful Wizard of Waz(ington) may have been, I don't think sleep-dialing is among his many and storied accomplishments.

By the way ... Bunglebert Trumperdink is now 75, turning 76 in June.  That makes him almost the same age as Joe Biden was when Trump first dissed him as 'Sleepy Joe'.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Trouble is (at least for Trump lawyers) there is already lots of official evidence of calls from Trump to various supporters during that missing seven hours.
It is in evidentiary documents from the parties on the other end of the phone line from Trump.

Jim Wright, in his Stonekettle blog, points up the argument that it is all politics, while there are many things happening right now to make life worse for many of us, that need action independent of politics. The personality cult of Trump is beyond any sanity.

https://www.stonekettle.com

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Right now Trump is polling well ahead of Biden in an election if held now. Despite all the evidence that he’s a junior Putin dictator wannabe.

Gas prices and inflation and rising crime have everyone in a justifiable tizzy - but our democracy faces existential peril. Short term thinking in ‘22/‘24 could result in long term agony for USA and ultimately the world.

Fun times.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Biden was never my first choice for D candidate - I'm no longer sure who was out of a lacklustre field - but he was of course infinitely times better than the alternative. But he needs to prove to all of us that he is better than just not-Trump.

Energy prices are cheaper than the rest of the world except petro states such as Saudi Arabia etc. Inflation is a worldwide problem largely due to three factors: recovery from the coronavirus shutdowns and their effects on supply chains; world oil prices and let's face it US oil companies who own significant quantities of the stuff in the ground are not crying; and actual and projected wage inflation. And I'm pretty sure but I have no evidence that opportunistic inflation is at least a factor. If the economy is so trashed why is the Dow/S&P still rocketing up? On Jan 31 2020 (the very start of Covid) the DJIA was 28256; at the end of TFG's time in office it was 30,996 and today it was 35228. S&P 500 numbers on the same dates were 3225, 3841 and 4602 which is an even more precipitate rise. The sad fact is that even with all those 'negatives' companies are still coining it.

Yes there is inflation but nothing that we can't handle - this is not Weimar Germany and those of us who are more than 65 or so have seen far worse during our working lives.

Biden needs to get out there with some positive messages. Otherwise the Senate and House this year are in danger and there is every chance that we will see Trump 2.0 in 2024. And Trump 2.0 might even carry another name: Hannity or Carlson. Trump's only saving grace - and this is obviously straw-clutching - is that he is thick as two short planks. Hannity and Carlson are smarter.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The thought of Tucker Carlson in the White House really strikes fear in me. That guy is so pathological I don’t even want to see what would happen if he got his hands on the powers of the presidency.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:09 am
The thought of Tucker Carlson in the White House really strikes fear in me. That guy is so pathological I don’t even want to see what would happen if he got his hands on the powers of the presidency.
:clap: Truly terrifying
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Actually, what scares me more than Trump 2 is De Santis; he is someone who at least has some ideal of how things work. He can pander to the Trump crowd and still get things done, unlike Trump who usually shoots himself in the foot.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

DeSantis is scary, but probably not that smart. Why else are so many Texans leaving Texas for Florida in search of of an even stupider governor?
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Not that smart, perhaps, but a hell of a lot smarter than Trump.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:23 pm
Not that smart, perhaps, but a hell of a lot smarter than Trump.
Pretty low bar there.
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Burning Petard

WTF is Garland doing?

Post by Burning Petard »

from AP via Yahoo news (no paywall) https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-panel- ... 34892.html

One would think after the GOP kept Garland off the SCOTUS, which I thought was the end goal of every ambitious lawyer, that the head of the federal Justice Department would not be a big supporter of the previous president of the United States.

And yet. The investigation by the NY federals into Trump's finances, which had been ongoing for a while, was abruptly killed and the lawyers incharge resigned 'to pursue other interests' right after the auditing firm hired by Trump said they had been deceived for many years and were no longer doing his audits, and soon after Garland took control of the Justice Department.

Now Garland is dragging his feet about White House records during the last days of Trump.

WTF?

snailgate

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:00 am
Biden was never my first choice for D candidate - I'm no longer sure who was out of a lacklustre field - but he was of course infinitely times better than the alternative. But he needs to prove to all of us that he is better than just not-Trump.

Energy prices are cheaper than the rest of the world except petro states such as Saudi Arabia etc. Inflation is a worldwide problem largely due to three factors: recovery from the coronavirus shutdowns and their effects on supply chains; world oil prices and let's face it US oil companies who own significant quantities of the stuff in the ground are not crying; and actual and projected wage inflation. And I'm pretty sure but I have no evidence that opportunistic inflation is at least a factor. If the economy is so trashed why is the Dow/S&P still rocketing up? On Jan 31 2020 (the very start of Covid) the DJIA was 28256; at the end of TFG's time in office it was 30,996 and today it was 35228. S&P 500 numbers on the same dates were 3225, 3841 and 4602 which is an even more precipitate rise. The sad fact is that even with all those 'negatives' companies are still coining it.

Yes there is inflation but nothing that we can't handle - this is not Weimar Germany and those of us who are more than 65 or so have seen far worse during our working lives.

Biden needs to get out there with some positive messages. Otherwise the Senate and House this year are in danger and there is every chance that we will see Trump 2.0 in 2024. And Trump 2.0 might even carry another name: Hannity or Carlson. Trump's only saving grace - and this is obviously straw-clutching - is that he is thick as two short planks. Hannity and Carlson are smarter.
I wrote this more than 2 years ago but I've had to wait until today for evidence that much of the inflation we saw was opportunistic. A Guardian piece (https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... te-profits) today tells us that 53% of inflation over last year's second and third quarters was due to increased corporate profits. There is not a lot I would change about what I wrote then and I still think that Trump might choose Tucker Carlson as his VP.