I don't think this is anything we don't already know.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
MGMcAnick

I don't think this is anything we don't already know.

Post by MGMcAnick »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90O-q7dgS-I
What don't understand is how so many people just don't get it
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

BoSoxGal

Re: I don't think this is anything we don't already know.

Post by BoSoxGal »

Watching the episode I am distracted by the weird narration - wish the reporter had narrated in his normal tone of voice instead of the weird throaty whispery narrative voice he uses.

The content is nothing I haven’t seen elsewhere but I’m sure there are tens of millions who are totally clueless.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I think the correct term is willfully clueless.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Cognative Dissonance synergy with 80% of humans are authoritarian personality types (prefer somebody take has responsibility for their life)

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Burning Petard wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:29 pm
Cognative Dissonance synergy with 80% of humans are authoritarian personality types (prefer somebody take has responsibility for their life)

snailgate
Not sure where they all live? Here are some much more hopeful stats:
In 2021, Morning Consult (an American data intelligence company) published the results of a survey measuring the levels of authoritarianism in adults in America and seven other Western countries. The study used Bob Altemeyer's right-wing authoritarianism scale, but they omitted the following two statements from Altemeyer's scale: (1) "The established authorities generally turn out to be right about things, while the radicals and protestors are usually just “loud mouths” showing off their ignorance."; and (2) "Women should have to promise to obey their husbands when they get married." Morning Consult's scale thus had just 20 items, with a score range of 20 to 180 points. Morning Consult found that 25.6% of American adults qualify as "high RWA" (scoring between 111 and 180 points), while 13.4% of American adults qualify as "low RWA" (scoring 20 to 63 points).[22]

Prevalence among adults in Western countries
2021 Morning Consult survey
Low RWA High RWA
US 13.4% 25.6%
UK 13.6% 10.4%
Germany 17.4% 6.7%
France 10.2% 10.7%
Spain 17.9% 9.2%
Italy 17.9% 12.9%
Australia 17.1% 12.9%
Canada 21.3% 13.4%
But still 25%+ is still uncomfortably high. Looking at Germany in the 1930s, you don’t need anything near a majority of the population to be hardcore in your lane as you lay the groundwork for fascism and atrocities, you only really need that committed core and the apathetic and fearful will just end up coming along for the ride.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

To Answer MGMc just go to Stonekettle's post of April third:
https://www.stonekettle.com

My 80% authoritarian preference comes from 'The Authoritarian Personality' by Adorno et al and that study began with Germans in the 40's

As far as what it takes to control, Trotsky said he only needed 5% of the population if they were disciplined, that is, could be depended on to follow orders.

snailgate

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Not sure if a questionnaire will tell you much. My opinion (and I'm well aware it's an opinion) is that most of the Magahats actually want a strong authoritarian in the lead role, just as long as he (and it's always a he) exerts that authoritarianism on the other guys. E.g. stops them from obtaining abortions, from marrying whom they want, having guns (it's OK and in fact patriotic for us to have guns, but them - no), coming into the country, learning useful stuff in schools etc. But if you were to ask them how they see themselves they are independent non-sheeples and plow (plough) their own furrows.

Few white supremacists think of themselves that way and even fewer would so describe themselves in public or on a questionnaire.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Exhibit A
Marjorie Taylor Greene calls for the US to follow Hungary and ban 'sexually-explicit' media in sex education classes and all gender transformation surgeries for children as she congratulates Viktor Orban for his win
This woman is amassing millions fundraising on the culture war.

In the America of my youth - or at least as I perceived it - she could not have been in office as a Republican. As an anything. Nor Madison Cawthorn with his tales of the sex orgy DC City.
~ Carl Sagan