Profiles in cowardice: McConnell and McCarthy

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Profiles in cowardice: McConnell and McCarthy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

NYT has a piece of a recording of these two spineless hacks after Jan 6. HuffPost has a follow up with some of the tape where you can hear McCarthy telling some of his felon Rs (how's that for autocorrect? - I meant to type fellow but I think I'll leave it) how he's gonna phone Trump and tell him that if the impeachment passes the House (which he knew it would and of course it did) then he should resign. There is this wonderful quote from McConnell (my underlining below), once he had decided that he wouldn't be popular with the guys if he followed through:
Mr. McCarthy went so far as to say he would push Mr. Trump to resign immediately: “I’ve had it with this guy,” he told a group of Republican leaders, according to an audio recording of the conversation obtained by The New York Times.

But within weeks both men backed off an all-out fight with Mr. Trump because they feared retribution from him and his political movement. Their drive to act faded fast as it became clear it would mean difficult votes that would put them at odds with most of their colleagues.

I didn’t get to be leader by voting with five people in the conference,” Mr. McConnell, the Senate Republican leader, told a friend.
Funny, that's what I thought a leader did - maybe take an unpopular stance and sell it to the rest of the guys.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Profiles in cowardice: McConnell and McCarthy

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I didn’t get to be leader by voting with five people in the conference,” Mr. McConnell, the Senate Republican leader, told a friend.
That sounds an awful lot like "I vass only follovink der orders!!"

Alles ist in Ordnung, Republicans.  Links, links, links - recht - links ....
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Mitch McConnell and especially Kevin McCarthy are the invertebrate species of weasel that we have all always known them to be, concerned only with their own power to rule whatever slice of Hell they can, and willing to lick the sweaty and odiferous taint of Donald Trump if that's what it takes. They are an embarrassment to American government and their continued tenure in elected office is proof that their constituents who voted for them give not one fuck about our foundational principles of democracy.

ETA XKA's modification for the sake of what must be dozens of non-feckless Kentuckians and Californians.
Last edited by Sue U on Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

proof that their constituents give not one fuck about our foundational principles of democracy.
True, but it's what democracy has become; hold your nose and vote for the person, however otherwise odious, who gives you at least some of what you want. I honestly cannot think of the last time I strongly supported a candidate for Congress, let alone the presidency; but people look more at what they get, than what that "bargain" costs them. As I have said several times, I am seriously concerned about the viability of democracy in the future, and its viability seems to be fading more and more.
Last edited by Big RR on Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Sue U wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:25 pm
They are an embarrassment to American government and their continued tenure in elected office is proof that their constituents who voted for them give not one fuck about our foundational principles of democracy.
Please Sue make the above amendment in the interests of accuracy and of sparing the feelings of some of McConnell's constituents.