SCOTUS to women: You have no rights to autonomy and security of your person

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

Re: SCOTUS to women: You have no rights to autonomy and security of your person

Post by BoSoxGal »

The deed is done.

The next few years should make for some interesting observations as our privacy based rights are torn asunder.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Nobody cares, I gather.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Personally, I find lots of metaphorical truths revealed to Betty Bowers (America's Best Christian) in the post above. I also like her distinction between 'activists judges' and 'strict constructionists'

Current events remind me of the often reviled by outsiders Jewish prayer ". . . . I thank you that you have not made me a . . . woman or a boor"

Men have a lot to be thankful for and to repent for. I am afraid that many have made themselves a boor or worse.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Religion is a scourge which should be eradicated from the pubic space. We need total separation of church and state and instead we are sliding down a slippery slope into theocracy thanks to a bunch of conservative Catholic nuts on the court. They’ve just fucked stare decisis.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I care, but I don't know that there is anything more I can say than when the opinion was leaked.

The 13th Amendment no longer applies to pregnant women. They are now officially slaves of the fetus that commandeered their bodies.

And forget about preserving same-sex marriage; Thomas as much as said that it is now DOA. LGBTQ people can expect to be tattooed and herded into extermination camps.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

"But her emails."

I hope this is a wake-up call to all those (especially white suburban women) who "just couldn't" vote for Hillary Clinton: elections have consequences. Abortion rights must be central in the Democrats' election campaigns this year. Even conservative women (and their daughters and granddaughters) may need abortion services at some point, and that decision should be made solely by that woman in consultation with her physician -- not by radical GOP extremists in the statehouse.

And because the Court's decision is so far out of step with super-majority opinion in this country, it is probably a good time to introduce the Judiciary Reform Act of 2022, which among other things should expand the Supreme Court to 13 justices (one for each federal appellate court) and include an enforceable code of ethics for them.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

While I understand the attraction, I do think that court packing could backfire if the next presidential election goes the way I think it will.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:12 pm
While I understand the attraction, I do think that court packing could backfire if the next presidential election goes the way I think it will.
It is far, far, far too early to say anything meaningful at all about the next presidential election. In June 2014 (and as late as June 2016) no sane person would have thought Donald Fucking Trump would be the next president.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

True, but if it does go the way I still think it will (although I earnestly hope not), packing the court that way could have disastrous effects--imagine a 10-3 split with a number of young justices chosen not for their legal prowess, but for the politics and age. It be a disaster.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I have head some speculation that the Dobbs v Jackson ruling has some strong indications that the right to same gender marriage is endangered. Whoa! If that can be overturned, then is Loving v Virginia far behind? That would make Justice Thomas and Ginny illegal.

Actually I am more concerned about what Dobbs implies about the 9th and 10th and section one of the 14th. It turns us away from a limited government to a people of limited freedoms granted by the government.

snailgate.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

In 'Justice' Thomas' concurring opinion he says: "For that reason, in future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell. " (It's about halfway down Page 3.) I.e., he's saying that the same absence of constitutional mention of abortion applies equally to those cases.

Well now. Griswold was the 1965 case in which SC said it was OK for married people to have access to contraception. Lawrence (2003) said it was unconstitutional to punish those who do sodomy which is a type of sexual practice in which many engage, harmlessly. And Obergefell was a 2015 decision which required that all states recognize the marriage procedures of other states which includes same-sex marriages. While he's at it, maybe Thomas should revisit Loving (1967) which was all about ending miscegenation laws. I'm guessing Ginni might not be too happy about that one . . .

Be afraid.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Or even back to Brown v Topeka Board of Education. Where does the constitution mention education?

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Welcome to Gilead.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:07 pm
Nobody cares, I gather.
Honestly...not really. I'm 100% pro-abortion, but it's just not that important to me.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Burning Petard wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:33 pm
Or even back to Brown v Topeka Board of Education. Where does the constitution mention education?

snailgate
I agree: eliminate the DOE.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:15 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:07 pm
Nobody cares, I gather.
Honestly...not really. I'm 100% pro-abortion, but it's just not that important to me.
Fuck you. Just FUCK YOU!
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

e should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell.
that's what really scares me--that they may do that. Goodbye privacy.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'm 100% pro-abortion, but it's just not that important to me.
That's like being 100% for free speech but saying it's really not important. Sure.

So you're 100% for saying you're pro abortion, but you don't give a damn what they do. BFD.