Who is behind "American Technology"?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Methuselah

Who is behind "American Technology"?

Post by Methuselah »

There are frequent TV ads from an outfit named American Technology. The message is unclear, but they are upset about the US government bothering them. It doesn't tell me why I should care. This link takes you to an article that says that Facebook is one of the prime contributors.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... ican-edge/

MGMcAnick

Re: Who is behind "American Technology"?

Post by MGMcAnick »

I don't recall ever seeing an ad from American Technology. The link takes me to a two year old article about American Edge. Do we need to be alarmed at this late date?
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

The ads are frequent in the LA area. I am uneasy about vague if alarming ads, and would appeciate links to any more current articles on the subject.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

From what I’ve found it’s a lobbying group, this one representing technology companies in the face of Congressional action on regulating these same companies. So one can assume that the financers behind it are technology companies like Meta, Google, etc.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I should add that I am a regular participant in Civiqs, which is a polling organization. They send me requests for poll participation 2-3 times per month, and recently the polls have been repeatedly based on a series of questions regarding what I know about Congress and any moves to break apart large technology companies like Meta, Google, Amazon, etc. into smaller companies, or to heavily regulate them. I have had this poll sent to me so often that I’ve stopped responding. Big Tech is clearly very nervous that Congress may act to make them more accountable.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

If I recall correctly, American Edge and this whole ad campaign began in 2020 around the time Zuckerberg was called to testify before Congress. I don't think I've ever seen and ad, though.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Those ads are running now on the Philly tv marketing area. They seem to me to get lost in the flood of ads for GOP primary for governor and senator. Pennsylvania votes on this tomorrow (May 17) so they should go away soon. After the success of snake-oil-salesman Trump, it will be interesting to see how a carpet bagger and genuine snake-oil-salesman (Dr. Oz) does in this primary.

snailgate

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I've not participated in ANY telephone, mail, or online polls (with the exception of a few right here) in over 40 years. My reason is, a co-worker agreed to do a telephone "poll" to ask questions of a young lady whom I was interested in dating. She found out things that usually don't come up until the third date. I decided not to ask the young lady out. The point is, there is no way to know WHO is asking the question.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

They are deceptive ads. They say that small businesses will be abused becuase of the proposed laws, but these small businesses are already being abused because of the high costs and second-class service offered by the Big Tech companies that sponsor these ads. A more honest ad would be "Hi, this is the owner of Facebook (or Google). I've got a good thing going and the Feds want me to behave better. Tell them to leave me alone. If I want to push my own goods for sale ahead of the people who buy ads from me, when you want to make a purchase, that is my business, not yours or the Feds."