In other news from Hell

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

Re: In other news from Hell

Post by BoSoxGal »

0993C290-5B03-4D46-9E4C-16B91E52A2AB.jpeg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Reports emerging that the scumbag visited a neighborhood synagogue around Passover this year, and was met with resident security guard. He didn’t have weapons on him at that time, but the rabbi felt he might have been casing the building for nefarious purposes as he gave no reason for his visit.

Motherfucker. I generally refrain from wishful violent thinking but it won’t bother me to hear this garbage gets abused in jail.

Short term goals: Ban assault weapons. Ban high capacity magazines. Universal background checks.

Long term goals: Repeal 2A

It might seem laughable but if these mass shootings keep terrorizing middle America, the will to repeal will become a tidal wave. I’m already seeing hundreds of comments all over social media, including some brave voices who post in conservative places.

I don’t recognize this country anymore. I’m really so heartsick these days I almost envy - I *do* envy - LJ and RayThom and all our other dearly departed friends. I think it might have been nice to have a death by misadventure just before 9/11. This country has been plummeting off a cliff since. It IS hell.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Doing nothing for 18 years.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

A friend of mine was shot and killed today in a road rage incident. Yeah, more guns is the answer
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

datsunaholic wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:37 am
A friend of mine was shot and killed today in a road rage incident. Yeah, more guns is the answer
I’m so sorry for your loss. :hug:
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:19 am
Change the guy in the hat from "the NRA" to "NC School Board", and you've nailed it...

A North Carolina school district has equipped every school
with an AR-15 rifle in an attempt to ward off mass shootings

●  A North Carolina school system gave its six schools AR-15 rifles to protect against mass shooters.
●  The guns were added after a horrific school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, that left 19 children dead.
●  "I want my guys to be as prepared as prepared can be," Madison County Sheriff Buddy Harwood said.

A North Carolina school system has given AR-15 rifles to every school in an effort to protect kids against mass shooters, according to a report from the Asheville Citizen-Times.  Six elementary, middle, and high schools were given a rifle, ammo, and a safe, Madison County Sheriff Buddy Harwood said.

"We were able to put an AR-15 rifle and (a) safe in all of our schools in the county," Harwood told the (Asheville, NC) Citizen-Times.  "We've also got breaching tools to go into those safes.  We've got extra magazines with ammo in those safes."

The guns were added to the schools following the devastating school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, in May.  Police said the gunman killed 19 children and two adults in the shooting.

"Those officers were in that building for so long, and that suspect was able to infiltrate that building and injure and kill so many kids," Harwood said. "I just want to make sure my deputies are prepared in the event that happens. The reason we put the breaching tools in the safes is that in the event we have someone barricaded in a door, we won't have to wait on the fire department to get there," Harwood added.  "We'll have those tools to be able to breach that door if needed.  I do not want to have to run back out to the car to grab an AR, because that's time lost.  Hopefully, we'll never need it, but I want my guys to be as prepared as prepared can be."

(see original report here)

For the record, Madison County is a moderate-sized (451² miles), sparsely-populated (approx. 21K as of the 2020 census), mostly rural county located in rugged terrain in the Appalachian Mountains between Asheville and Greenville. Its county seat is Marshall (pop. 872 as of the 2010 census); only other community of any size is Mars Hill (pop. 1869 as of the 2010 census), home of Mars Hill University, a liberal arts college with a strong Baptist heritage.

And just an aside here, but "...I do not want to have to run back out to the car to grab an AR, because that's time lost."   Maybe it's just me, but if you get a call about an active shooter, I'd think you'd bring whatever tools you think you might need with you when you entered the building rather than leave it in the car or back at the station.

A couple of other thoughts ... what if the bad guy is holed up in the same room as the safe?  And how long before we hear about "gun safe and weapons stolen from Madison County (NC) school during overnight break-in"?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:23 pm
And how long before we hear about "gun safe and weapons stolen from Madison County (NC) school during overnight break-in"?
Yeah, that was my first thought too.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

As soon as the first employee needs quick cash.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’ve stopped watching much news the last few weeks which has much improved my life. Today I started my day quietly with reading and then after errands I began a day of cooking - quiche, roasted pork shoulder, garlic smashed red potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts - my food prep for the week. I watched videos on Prime but wasn’t even on my phone much because of being busy and then I got on it and fuck another mass shooting where 3rd graders bought the farm in their classroom. By a woman! Who probably got her guns legally.

So since I’ve got tired of marking these horrors I felt the need to mark this one and say that even though I can no longer muster the motivation to comment 9/10 times these things happen, they are all impacting. Obviously the whole country, people are just perpetually traumatized by seeing this gun violence madness over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over . . .
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I just heard the Senate Chaplain say: "When children are murdered at a church school, it is time to move beyond prayers."

You think? It wasn't time to move beyond prayers 24 years ago (20 April 1999) after Columbine? Or Sandy Hook? Or Stoneman Douglas? Or Virginia Tech? How fucking stone deaf and unaware do you have to be to say - it is time?

I don't always yell at the TV; but when I do, it's for idiots like this.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I agree: armed guards, allow teachers to carry if they want. No more defenseless schools.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Yes, more guns. Just what we need.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Hell, yeah...If you have armed police, armed parents, armed guards and armed teachers, you've GOTTA let the students carry too. That's just common sense. :shrug Right?
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Just curious. Seriously. From the point of view of a gun enthusiast, is there *ANY* level of gun ownership that would *EVER* be considered "enough"? Or "too much"?

Is there *ANYONE* who should *EVER* be considered *NOT* part of a "well regulated militia"????? :loon
God @The Tweet of God

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Econoline wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:32 am

Is there *ANYONE* who should *EVER* be considered *NOT* part of a "well regulated militia"????? :loon
According to Jaraxle's definition of "Well Regulated" the only people who aren't are the ones who are unarmed.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:49 pm
I just heard the Senate Chaplain say: "When children are murdered at a church school, it is time to move beyond prayers."

You think? It wasn't time to move beyond prayers 24 years ago (20 April 1999) after Columbine? Or Sandy Hook? Or Stoneman Douglas? Or Virginia Tech? How fucking stone deaf and unaware do you have to be to say - it is time?

I don't always yell at the TV; but when I do, it's for idiots like this.
He must not acknowledge the Amish? They had a school shooting in 2006. How many dozens since then?
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

You have to remember that if umpty-ump kids are shot dead before armed heroes show up to cap the bad guy, all is well. Losing a few kids first - well that's just collateral damage to the worship of firearms.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Too many guns too readily available to too many people.

WHAT IS SO FUCKING HARD TO UNDERSTAND?
GAH!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Econoline wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:32 am
Just curious. Seriously. From the point of view of a gun enthusiast, is there *ANY* level of gun ownership that would *EVER* be considered "enough"? Or "too much"?

Criminals. Mentally ill.