Apparently it's not censorship when the reich wing does it

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Apparently it's not censorship when the reich wing does it

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Re: Apparently it's not censorship when the reich wing does it

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Thanks for the warning not to watch this movie
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Sorry Scoot, this is not censorship at all, unless some governmental entity required this action and this notice.

It is BOYCOTT

snailgate

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

It's actually not even that, because they still want to make money by showing the movie. But I'm just appropriating the language they would use if the shoe were on the other foot.

But they appear to have backed down. My guess is someone read the contract and told them they were obligated to show the movie as delivered, or not at all, and they chose money over principle, as that ilk is wont to do.

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Come on Meade, isn't Lightyear an animated movie? Since when do pieces of plastic have a gender of any kind (they may be made up to look like they have a gender, but they have none), and when can pieces of plastic kiss? I wouldn't watch the movie at all as I have no interest in it (and hate this sort of animation), but you'll really skip it over something so ridiculous? I have no reply to that!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:50 pm
Come on Meade, isn't Lightyear an animated movie? Since when do pieces of plastic have a gender of any kind (they may be made up to look like they have a gender, but they have none), and when can pieces of plastic kiss? I wouldn't watch the movie at all as I have no interest in it (and hate this sort of animation), but you'll really skip it over something so ridiculous? I have no reply to that!
Thank you for your input. The continuing deterioration of society is noted.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

You think gay love deteriorates society? Fucking intolerant haters like you are the only thing deteriorating society.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And FWIW, it's not gay love, it's plastic pieces being pushed together. If there were a wooden character in the kiss would you accuse it of inter species bestiality?

This is blatantly ridiculous, and by accepting the the bullshit of the complaint, you are definitely contributing to the deterioration of our society. But rant on.

I have to say you have surprised me here (and I didn't think you could do that). What's next, 'Smores promoting interracial unions because of the chocolate and marshmallows melting together. Toilet paper promoting anal sex? There are no words...

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

For the record these aren’t “toys” in this movie. It’s the origin story of the fictional toy line. That being said this all is much ado about nothing as there is nothing salacious going on. And the proper response is WGAF.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Mama Bears
THIS IS WHAT HOMOPHOBIA LOOKS LIKE …

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: man stumbles into a forest, finds an apparently dead woman and kisses her on the lips. This is considered wholesome entertainment acceptable for young children.

Sleeping Beauty: man finds woman fast asleep in bed and kisses her on the lips. This is considered wholesome entertainment acceptable for young children.

The Little Mermaid: human man kisses a fish-woman while a lobster with a Jamaican accent and a bunch of fish sing kiss the girl. This is considered wholesome entertainment acceptable for young children.

Beauty and the Beast: woman kisses man who is also sometimes a beast. This is considered wholesome entertainment acceptable for young children.

Lightyear: two women in a committed relationship share a kiss. This is considered to be part of a dangerous “gay agenda” and an attempt to “groom” kids.

And we can add that all of those Disney heroines were minors when subjected to nonconsensual sexual contact.

Plus the kiss in Lightyear was interracial as well as lesbian, so that makes it REALLY triggering to the rabid reactionary religious reich.

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And they don't look like people to me; maybe moire like dolls or puppets. No human beings were involved in the objectionable scene; I'm getting tired of the toy/puppet/doll/etc. agenda.

ETA: FWIW, when I was a kid we used pull of my sisters' dolls and play catch with them, torture the plastic green army men (hitting them with hammers, etc.) during "interrogation", and have puppets that would hit each other with "clubs". Nothing scandalous, nothing about the downfall of society, everyone understood that toys were not real.

But I guess some people don't in watching a movie.

Screaming about the behavior of puppets is plainly ridiculous (and I would have thought people with even marginal IQs would understand that), but even if it were real people, the reaction would be ridiculous.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Good grief. Doesn't take much to get knickers into an unnecessary twist eh?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

This will surely make their heads explode.
Disney to feature ‘first openly gay teen romance’ in new animated film Strange World

Upcoming animated Disney film Strange World is to feature the studio’s “first openly gay teen romance in a feature”, according to a production designer.

The film, which stars Dennis Quaid, Lucy Liu, Gabrielle Union and Jaboukie Young-White, is scheduled for release in November. And, as Variety reports, contains a romantic plot between two teen boys.

Matthieu Saghezchi, an animation production designer, confirmed the romance on Twitter, stating: “Just saw the very first glimpse into Disney’s Strange World… it features the first openly gay teen romance in a Disney feature!!!

“The scene describes the son [Ethan, played by Young-White] being very shy in front of his boy crush, and his dad comes in and says ‘so nice to meet you! My son talks about you all the time’ and further embarrasses his son. Very cute.”

The film, which was announced at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival in France, follows a family of adventurers who travel to new worlds.

Disney has been praised for refusing to remove a same-sex kiss from its new movie Lightyear, despite it being banned in 14 countries.

The spin-off of the critically acclaimed Toy Story movie franchise will not make it to cinemas in several countries including Saudi Arabia, The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Lebanon.

The UAE’s Media Regulatory Office announced on Twitter that Lightyear is to be denied license for public screening due to a “violation of the country’s media content standards”.

Disney reinstated the same-sex kiss scene after removing it following an open letter from Disney-Pixar lambasting its parent company for suppressing “overtly gay affection”.

“We at Pixar have personally witnessed beautiful stories, full of diverse characters, come back from Disney corporate reviews shaved down to crumbs of what they once were,” the letter reads.

This follows months of criticism with regards to Disney’s actions on LGBTQ+ issues, with several Disney staffers staging a walk-out after the company’s handling of Florida’s harmful “Don’t Say Gay” bill.

Staffers were angered after Disney initially refused to speak against the bill while funding Republicans who backed the bill; CEO Bob Chapek has since backtracked and paused all political donations in Florida.

Disney Plus wrote in a statement: “We strongly denounce all legislation that infringes on the basic human rights of people in the LGBTQIA+ community… especially legislation that targets and harms young people and their families.”

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Good grief. Doesn't take much to get knickers into an unnecessary twist eh?
Apparently not.
The continuing deterioration of society is noted.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Society has been deteriorating since Babel, and yet we now have skyscrapers with electricity, elevators, running water and HVAC systems. "Civilization in decline" is the eternal lament of those who prefer the past over the future.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sue U wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:55 pm
Society has been deteriorating since Babel, and yet we now have skyscrapers with electricity, elevators, running water and HVAC systems. "Civilization in decline" is the eternal lament of those who prefer the past over the future.
And the political condition of the USA is of course perfectly OK with everyone, right? Then there's no particular angst going on here about the loss of democracy, concern for the failure of constitutional processes, complaints of the breakdown of proper societal relations. Good. Mass murder is becoming a norm because we all know that a preference for anything past is in fact a rejection of progress.

What have "things" (such as elevators and HVAC systems) to do with the deterioration of civil discourse, bthe increasing enshrinement of relativity of truth, the growing tyranny of the minorities and continuing moral decay?

OTOH it's a fact that all civilizations rise and fall (thus far) and there is no reason this one should escape that fate. So, yes - decline is inevitable. Compost is always necessary for the future.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Then there's no particular angst going on here about the loss of democracy, concern for the failure of constitutional processes, complaints of the breakdown of proper societal relations.
I doubt there has been a time in history when those same concerns were not present; this is nothing new.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:11 pm
And the political condition of the USA is of course perfectly OK with everyone, right? Then there's no particular angst going on here about the loss of democracy, concern for the failure of constitutional processes, complaints of the breakdown of proper societal relations. Good. Mass murder is becoming a norm because we all know that a preference for anything past is in fact a rejection of progress.
The political condition of the USA -- or any empire/civilization throughout history -- has never been perfectly OK with everyone at any time; that's the nature of humans and their societies, constantly dissatisfied and wanting something more. The fall of any empire/civilization/socio-political system is a transition but not necessarily a tragedy. The USA and democracy may or may not survive this particular era, and although I will do what is in my power to preserve it, I am not under any illusion that this is the only system of social organization under which people survive and even thrive on this planet. My grandparents and their grandparents and generations before lived under the Tsar in what was then Imperial Russia. Things can always be better, but what constitutes "awful" is often a matter of perspective. The other day I was wondering what it must have been like to live in the Sassanian Empire (Babylonia) in the 3rd Century or so CE; it was an extraordinary time of diversity and explosive cultural growth in what must have seemed to be the center of the universe (screw the Romans). And as for "mass murder," it seems to me it is somewhat less of a "norm" today than it was from 1939 to 1945, for example.
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
What have "things" (such as elevators and HVAC systems) to do with the deterioration of civil discourse, bthe increasing enshrinement of relativity of truth, the growing tyranny of the minorities and continuing moral decay?
As I am sure you understood, my comment wasn't focused on "things" but what I perceive as the general progress of human society since pre-history. Improvements in tower design and construction seemed an obvious metaphor.
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
OTOH it's a fact that all civilizations rise and fall (thus far) and there is no reason this one should escape that fate. So, yes - decline is inevitable. Compost is always necessary for the future.
See transition/tragedy, above.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Oh, Sue.
And as for "mass murder," it seems to me it is somewhat less of a "norm" today than it was from 1939 to 1945, for example.
That's a bit less than I expected. :cry:

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:48 pm
Oh, Sue.
And as for "mass murder," it seems to me it is somewhat less of a "norm" today than it was from 1939 to 1945, for example.
That's a bit less than I expected. :cry:
Not really sure what you mean by that.
GAH!