Congratulations Justice KBJ!

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

Congratulations Justice KBJ!

Post by BoSoxGal »

I have to admit that I cried watching the swearing in - and I suppose I am not alone but was one of many women who felt that way today.

Long overdue. Sorry she’s joining a court that has lost its legitimacy, but there will be very important dissents to write in the decades to come that will light the way for a future court.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Re: Congratulations Justice KBJ!

Post by BoSoxGal »

011C1BE2-CFE3-492B-8220-3FA8C2EB98C5.jpeg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Is there now a fixed route to the Supreme Bench?

DC Circuit Appeals court
Clerking for a Supreme
Harvard Law School

At least she is not Roman Catholic--she missed checking that box.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That sort of elite academic pedigree has been the standard for some time and many justices come up from another federal bench.

KBJ’s background is very interesting and worth learning if you haven’t yet. Here’s her wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketanji_Brown_Jackson

She has a great resume full of terrific accomplishments and I would suspect she would acknowledge that as a public high school graduate from Miami she no doubt benefitted from Harvard’s affirmative action program in admissions which opened the door for the world to see and benefit from her admirable intellect and drive. I look forward to seeing what she will say about affirmative action when SCOTUS hears a case challenging Harvard's affirmative action admission policies in the fall.
~ Carl Sagan