Independence Day 2022

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Independence Day 2022

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:37 am
liberty wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:23 am
........... It is liberals that want to impose their standards on everyone else.

Take abortion, for example: .........
You couldn't have chosen a worse example than abortion to make your point regarding "liberals" imposing their standards on everyone else.
'Liberals' merely want to preserve access to a medical procedure FOR THOSE WHO HAVE A REASON TO UTILIZE IT. They are not FORCING anyone to undergo an abortion. In this regard it's no different than rhinoplasty, or botox treatments, or hair transplants (like Wisconsin's own Bill Proxmire had), or getting a tattoo, piercing, or other forms of body modification. There may be some controversy over them too -- personally, if i wanted to see Lydia the Tattooed Lady or someone with enough piercings in their epidermis that they set off airport metal detectors, I'd go to the circus or a burlesque show -- but the last I heard, they're still legal and available.

It's the reactionaries in the GOP who want to force everybody to follow (their) orders ... stand up and speak (or sit down and shut.up) when they're told to, salute whomever or whatever they are told to salute, don't make waves, and above all, ALWAYS toe the mark like good little minions should. You know: "Heil Trump!", "MAGAland uber alles!", the constant onslaught of propaganda and bare-faced lies, and all the rest of that goose-stepping bullcrap.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

liberty wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:23 am
Whether you’re talking about an embryo, a fetus, or a baby, all these stages of life are human; they all have human DNA. if you take an action that terminates the living, you kill.
You might want to consider for a moment that cancer cells are human body cells, containing human DNA, that have gone rogue.

Now ask yourself -- if you are diagnosed with cancer, do you excise the tumor to save your life? Or, in light of your contention that all human DNA is human life, do you allow this malignant form of life to claim yours?

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Lib - you've been in the military so you must know that war is almost always the lesser of two evils. No-one (except maybe the deranged) wants war but sometimes it is necessary to prevent something worse. I assume that this was somehow covered in your training.

In my student days now 50 + years ago I went through a couple of abortions - not my child, but each time a good friend. I never asked if it was a contraception error (broken condom??) or maybe just the heat of the moment and I suspect many of us have been there. They did not take the decision lightly but it was available and way preferable to the alternative which was an unwanted pregnancy and child and all that that entails. And perhaps even a forced continuing relationship with the sperm giver beyond anything she or he had ever contemplated. So I was there to provide a non-judgmental shoulder if required and a ride which was required.

I don't think anyone thinks of abortion as just another form of contraception although certain contraceptive methods which prevent the meeting of two DNA carriers might qualify for your disdain if I read you correctly. Abortion is usually the least bad of at least two choices. Not unlike war in that regard.