Trump being Trump...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Joe Guy

Trump being Trump...

Post by Joe Guy »

Maybe Trump should ask for some legal advice from Amber Heard and her lawyers...

Trump notifies CNN of 'intent to file' defamation lawsuit regarding his unproven election claims

Former President Donald Trump said in a statement Wednesday that he had notified CNN he was intending to file a defamation lawsuit against the news outlet for its refusal to back his discredited claims that election fraud accounted for his loss to Joe Biden in the 2020 presidential race.

“I have notified CNN of my intent to file a lawsuit over their repeated defamatory statements against me,” Trump's statement said. “I will also be commencing actions against other media outlets who have defamed me and defrauded the public regarding the overwhelming evidence of fraud throughout the 2020 election.”

In a letter dated July 21, 2022, and addressed to CNN's CEO Chris Licht and executive vice president and general counsel David Vigilante, lawyers for Trump cited numerous examples in which they maintain the former president was defamed.

“Accordingly, I hereby demand on behalf of President Donald Trump that CNN (1) immediately take down the false and defamatory publications, (2) immediately issue a full and fair retraction of the statements identified herein in as conspicuous a manner as they were originally published, and (3) immediately cease and desist from its continued use of ‘Big Lie’ and ‘lying’ when describing President Trump’s subjective belief regarding the integrity of the 2020 election,” the letter stated.

Trump’s months-long scheme to overturn his defeat to Biden has been laid bare by the House select committee investigating the insurrection at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Ample evidence has been put forth showing that Trump was told by staffers, administration officials and family members that fraud had not affected the final results.

Testimony from Republicans close to the then president has also shown that he pursued a plan for state lawmakers to overturn the will of the voters by submitting slates of alternate electors. As the New York Times reported Tuesday, Trump campaign aides acknowledged in emails that those electors were “fake” and would be used to try to convince Vice President Mike Pence to block the certification of the Electoral College on Jan. 6.

On Tuesday, Trump returned to Washington to deliver a campaign-style speech on crime that devolved into more unfounded claims about his election loss. The former president depicted the select committee as intentionally lying to defame him and spoil his chances of winning reelection.

“They really want to damage me so I can no longer go back to work for you,” he said. “And I don’t think that’s going to happen.”

But on Wednesday, ABC News chief Washington correspondent Jonathan Karl reported that the Republican National Committee has told Trump it will cease paying his legal bills should he announce himself as a 2024 presidential candidate.

As of late February, Trump had filed 42 separate lawsuits since Election Day 2020 and lost them all. In December of last year, he did win a case in which Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers had asked a court to make the former president pay for the state’s legal fees in mounting a defense against Trump’s unsuccessful election lawsuit there.
source

BoSoxGal

Re: Trump being Trump...

Post by BoSoxGal »

Is he angling for a diminished capacity defense when he’s criminally charged?

Anyway, ludicrous.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

I'm totally here for CNN counsel's letter referring Mr. Trump to the reply given in Arkell v. Pressdram.
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Going from memory here Sue (which my wife frequently advises against) - was that the one with a two word instruction to the plaintiff? The second of which was 'off?'

Oh OK - I had to check. The story is too good to miss if you have not come across it before.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I recall that Sue.

Also, Trump must be crazy (well OK he is) if he really wants the truthfulness of his election fraud campaigns to be openly litigated, but I imagine that will be a primary defense of CNN. It would also be a lot of fun to see Trump subpoenaed and forced to testify under oath. I look forward to it.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

This is not a real threat to file a real lawsuit. This is another grift to 1) remind the MAGAs that the news media are their enemy, and therefore fake/untrustworthy; 2) show the MAGAs that Trump will "fight" and punish their enemies; and 3) fleece the MAGAs (again) for love offerings to "support the fight." If Trump actually does file suit, it will be summarily dismissed, just as all the post-election lawsuits were. But it will have served its agitprop purpose.
GAH!

Gob

Post by Gob »

Sue U wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:23 am
I'm totally here for CNN counsel's letter referring Mr. Trump to the reply given in Arkell v. Pressdram.
Good old Private Eye, I have a subscription.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And of course when it is summarily dismissed, it will prove once again that he is the only one willing to fight and that the deep state is as ever against him. But he won't back down and thank God (who, let's not forget, sent him in the first place) for that.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue U wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:04 pm
This is not a real threat to file a real lawsuit. This is another grift to 1) remind the MAGAs that the news media are their enemy, and therefore fake/untrustworthy; 2) show the MAGAs that Trump will "fight" and punish their enemies; and 3) fleece the MAGAs (again) for love offerings to "support the fight." If Trump actually does file suit, it will be summarily dismissed, just as all the post-election lawsuits were. But it will have served its agitprop purpose.
Do you think it's enough of a threat to get CNN to sue for a DJ or force them to back down? I guess we'd have to see the letter, but whatever it says, taken together with his statement that he intends to file suit, it might be worth it just to shut him up temporarily, especially with all the negative press from the hearings.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Since not too many Americans would understand "I refer you to the reply given in Arkell v. Pressdram," I think CNN should respond to Trump's letter with a highly publicized letter of their own, like the New York Times did when he threatened to sue the paper for libel because it published various women's allegations of his groping and similar inappropriate behavior:
The essence of a libel claim, of course, is the protection of one’s reputation. ... Nothing in our article has had the slightest effect on the reputation that Mr. Trump, through his own words and actions, has already created for himself.
Also too: Fuck off, Donald.
GAH!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Sue U wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:33 pm
Since not too many Americans would understand "I refer you to the reply given in Arkell v. Pressdram," I think CNN should respond to Trump's letter with a highly publicized letter of their own, like the New York Times did when he threatened to sue the paper for libel because it published various women's allegations of his groping and similar inappropriate behavior:
The essence of a libel claim, of course, is the protection of one’s reputation. ... Nothing in our article has had the slightest effect on the reputation that Mr. Trump, through his own words and actions, has already created for himself.
Also too: Fuck off, Donald.
I did not know the reference... took me about six seconds to find out.  Google is your friend.

But I agree.  CNN should send its own letter — were it me, there would be some reference to how it is the oblligation of the plaintiff to prove their case and a request (in proper legal-ese, of course) to "bring it on, bubka" — and highly publicize it, so that forever onward we can refer to "the reply given in Trump v. CNN".
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

I guess this fits in with the topic of "Trump being Trump":

https://ericzorn.substack.com/i/6596285 ... and-goofus
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

CNN has an attorney named David Vigilante?

Go get him David.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

AND THE GRIFT GOES ON   (With apologies to Sonny and Cher....)

Trump Begs Supporters to Donate for ‘Upcoming’ Lawsuit Against CNN
So far, the legal action is non-existent, but Trump is raking in cash off of the threat

It’s been over a week since former President Donald Trump pledged that he would be filing a lawsuit against CNN.  Yet, instead of court documents being filed, Trump appears to be more preoccupied with begging followers to send in money to “support” the so far non-existent legal action.

“I’m calling on my best and most dedicated supporters to add their names to stand with me in my impending LAWSUIT against Fake News CNN,” a new fundraising email sent out from the ex-president on Friday said.  “Add your name IMMEDIATELY to show your support for my upcoming lawsuit against Fake News CNN,” the message declared, linking to a donations page.

That email, titled “Let’s SUE CNN”, was one of two CNN-inspired fundraising emails sent out on Friday.  A second email sent out hours later struck a similar urgent tune and said, “I’m going to look over the names of the first 45 Patriots who added their names to publicly stand with their President AGAINST CNN.”

Last Wednesday, the former president threatened to sue the cable network and sent CNN’s General Counsel David Vigilante and top CNN executive Chris Licht a letter titled, “Notice of Intent to Bring Civil Action for Defamation.”
(from The Daily Beast)
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?