Jan 6 Committee issues final report

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Re: Jan 6 Committee issues final report

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Clinton's 'deplorables' quote, in full;
Speaking at a fundraiser in New York City on Friday, Hillary Clinton said half of Donald Trump’s supporters belong in a “basket of deplorables” characterized by “racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic” views.

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.
I see nothing here to castigate her for. She did not say that all Trump supporters are 'deplorable' - far from it. But those who are racist, sexist etc. are deplorable and do tend to support him.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yes, what she said was - and remains - 100% correct. Just like what Lindsey Graham said about what Trump would do to the GOP if he won the nomination in ‘16 was also spot on. And what Graham said about how anybody that didn’t like Joe Biden as a person has got something wrong with them - that’s 100% truth also.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Econo--They were the ones who tipped the scales in the last election, apparently realizing what an ass Trump is. But it is a tenuous allegiance so far as I can see, and I think they can be swayed the other way. If you don't believe there are any undecideds, why even have the hearings? those who have already made up their minds are going to believe what they believe and will not be swayed by any evidence.

FWIW, I honestly think there are (or at least were before the hearings commenced) people who buy the line that Trump didn't try and whip up a riot (and he gave them some sound bites to take advantage of this sentiment), and some who would think that no president would ever do that (i recall something like that earlier; when the "wag the dog" accusations were lobbied at Clinton for ramping up the situation in the balkans to distract the public from his critics; but he said "NO president would every start a war for that). Is it a a silly belie? I think so; but I also think there are people who believe that and could be swayed by the evidence if they believed the process was fair and not a witch hunt. And that is what concerns me.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And apparently the 'Proud Boys' awaiting trial, plan to subpoena Trump. This should be fun.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Oh look -- a squirrel!

Heer is a comment about the Doonesbury comic strip for today, Sunday Jan 29.:
Nct beach wiz
DD Wiz PREMIUM MEMBER about 5 hours ago
"Just a typical Republican BAIT AND SWITCH scam. They campaigned on inflation, gas prices and crime (although they offered no actual solutions except to import the same failed policies that collapsed the British economy) but now that they (barely) won control of just one house of congress, what they actually plan to deliver is endless phony revenge investigations.

Hunter Biden? Really?

Hunter Biden never worked in the White House, never held an official government position and his father, at the time, was Vice President, not president. His contacts were private corporations and he never interfaced directly with any head of state. There is ZERO PUBLIC POLICY INTEREST in anything involving Hunter Biden.

Compare with Jared and Ivanka Trump:

Jared and Ivanka had official positions in the White House and their father was directly involved in all of their financial dealings. Jared and Ivanka interfaced directly with heads of state of China, which gave Ivanka special trademark and tariff sweetheart deals, and Saudi Arabia, which gave Jared TWO BILLION DOLLARS while Jared held official positions. These deals were granted directly by heads of state Xi Jinping of China and Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia.

So of course Republicans, who hate the free market, will spend the next two years investigating a private citizen who made deals with private corporations in which no government official was involved, while ignoring the direct corrupt business dealings of Jared and Ivanka made directly with foreign heads of state while they held official government positions. This is what corrupt politicians do when they have zero policies or issues to run on.

And don’t even get started on Don Jr and Eric’s direct dealings with the United Arab Emirates and Russia representing their father’s corrupt business."

Have a nice day. snailgate.