The shitshow has begun

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Burning Petard

Re: The shitshow has begun

Post by Burning Petard »

Well, it is lasting a little longer. On the 8th ballot, still no majority and Jeffries got more votes than McCarthy. If you are a political junkie, suggest watching it on C-Span. The rules for C-Span coverage prohibits the cameras showing anything beyond the person speaking. No panning around the room to show how empty is usually is, or who is talking to who in an aisle.

These rules have been set aside for this process and you get to see much of that stuff, even if they do not have a hot mike.

snailgate

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Also on youtube PBS live stream
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

sPEAKER gEORGE sANTOS.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Econoline wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:58 pm
sPEAKER gEORGE sANTOS.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

For those who were Schoolhouse Rock fans:

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I have to share (steal?) the lead sentence from a column in the NYTimes yesterday by Michelle Goldberg:

"As we approach the anniversary of the Jan. 6 attack, it’s been grimly amusing to see that the party of insurrection can’t even manage the orderly transfer of power to itself. Rarely does karma play out so neatly."

snailgate

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

They should hurry up and elect McCarthy as Speaker; I've already bought a head of lettuce.
GAH!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:lol: :ok
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Sue -
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

An oldie but a goodie. And quite appropriate...again.

Lindsey Graham re Trump.jpg
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sue :ok :ok

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I still think that the only explanation for L Graham's change of heart (I use that expression loosely) is that he was reminded in late 2016 of some pictures of him doing naughty things in a Trump-owned hotel. And for the record I am by no means suggesting that said naughties were sexual in nature, nor that our great President 45 had anything to do with hidden cameras or secret files during the time he was a top-rated hotelier.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

OK, here's the plan.  Someone loudly announces on the House floor that there's a vendor on the Capitol steps giving out FREE January 6th commemorative merchandise, MAGA hats, AR-15s, and Trump NFT trading cards.  Once 12 or more Republicans rush out to take advantage of this incredible opportunity, the remaining representatives call for an immediate vote, and Hakkeem Jeffries wins, 212 to 211 (or better).
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Meanwhile in the Republican dominated Ohio House, a surprise awaited the (almost) anointed Republican Speaker, Derek Merrin:
22 of the (Republican) caucus’s 67 members, including three from Mr. Merrin’s northwest Ohio backyard, sided with all 32 Democrats in the chamber to instead elect Rep. Jason Stephens from rural Lawrence County on the opposite side of the state from Toledo.
Or to put it another way, 32 Democrats pulled a fast one, aiding 22 disaffected Republicans who didn't want Merrin in the hot seat. And the Dems got some useful positions out of the deal which otherwise they would have lacked.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:02 am
OK, here's the plan.
Jim Wright (on Facebook) has a similar plan and realistically I think this could work and might be Jeffries' best shot:
Find 6 Republicans and offer them whatever they want, committee memberships, committee chairs, whatever pork they want for their district. Name a battleship after them, I don't care, and elect Hakeem Jeffries Speaker of the House.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Screenshot (265).png

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm watching the shit show. They've just had the 14th vote where McCarthy was one vote short. The idea that the speakership is in the hands of a total fucking asshole like Matt Gaetz is just insanity.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Just watched Hakeem Jeffries' speech as he handed over the gavel. I haven't paid much attention to him and I don't think I could have picked him out of a lineup until this week, but I am impressed with what I have seen.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

IMNSHO, the Speaker of the House is a significant job just on principle -- they are next in line for POTUS, after the Vice-President.

With that in mind, Jeffries has one quality that puts him at the top of my list -- He does not want the job, either Speaker, or President.

snailgate