Republicans no longer believe in the right to bare arms

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Republicans no longer believe in the right to bare arms

Post by Scooter »

'Lost their minds': Missouri Dems cry foul over GOP-proposed dress code for female state lawmakers

The Missouri House of Representatives has started off 2023 receiving scrutiny nationwide as they have debated the proper attire that women legislators should wear when they are on the floor of the Capitol in Jefferson City, reports the St. Louis Post Dispatch.

The state of Missouri, which was under the nation's critical eye during the racial discrimination protests at the University of Missouri-Columbia in 2015 and 2016, in the immediate aftermath of the Michael Brown killing in St. Louis, has now garnered attention for their House of Representatives for opening a debate that many female lawmakers have decried as sexist.

In this particular case, the Missouri state legislature is considering a ban on women's apparel that exposes bare arms.

St. Louis Democrat Pete Merideth roasted his Republican colleagues for even making this a topic of discussion.

"The caucus that lost their minds over the suggestion that they should wear masks during a pandemic to respect the safety of others is now spending its time focusing on the fine details of what women have to wear (and specifically how many layers must cover their arms) to show respect in this chamber," Merideth tweeted.

Merideth said the debate originated in last year's session when several lawmakers thought that select female legislators were not dressing up to the legislative standards. The previous dress code allowed women to wear dresses, skirts or slacks with a blazer or sweater along with "appropriate" dress shoes or boots. The current rules make female legislators wear a second layer over a dress or a top, with many legislators preferring to wear shawls or other apparel.

Republican Representative Brenda Shields of St. Joseph accidentally touched off the debate when she requested that lawmakers change the dress code to allow cardigans be defined as jackets. After the debate, the amendment was allowed to stay in, and female legislators can cover their arms with cardigans.

Kansas City Democrat Representative Jamie Johnson called out the debate as ludicrous and unnecessary on Twitter.
Does this mean that Missouri is no longer entitled to call itself the "Show Me" state?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Re: Republicans no longer believe in the right to bare arms

Post by Burning Petard »

I do love the antics of the state where I grew up. This is the place where a politician seriously said pregnancy after rape was the victims voluntary choice. I am having a wonderful time imagining the thoughtful Missouri Republican who is not wearing a mask or covered arm and sneezed into their elbow region.

I am certain some good Missourian would be willing to show me.

snailgate