Poor Donald....

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Burning Petard

Re: Poor Donald....

Post by Burning Petard »

There was a note on NPR yesterday about President US Grant--stopped twice in DC for speeding in his horse and buggy. The second time he got a ticket.
He failed to show up in court and forfeited his $20 appearance bond. The arresting officer was black.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

That’s a great story, but I think we agree as a society that speeding is not a crime of great moral turpitude.

The things the Donald is accused of, on the other hand . . .
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Mostly Stormy.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I heard that the trial will be January 2024 or thereabouts. Will nothing happen until then? Can the defense file motions to dismiss for example before the trial itself? Could Trump, for example, go after a plea deal (I doubt it but I am curious about the mechanics of this) in the meantime?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I imagine there will be a motions schedule, and it is likely a motion to dismiss will be filed on or before the beginning of the trial. I would think a plea bargain could always be reached, but I cannot imagine Trump pleading guilty (or even no contest) to anything; hell, it looks like this trial is a fundraising boon for him (I saw something on TV about T shirts with a fake mugshot and "Not Guilty" below it going for $47. It will beinteresting to see what happens, but I do hope further charges are forthcoming from the other investigations ot turn up the pressure.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Yes in a sense I am glad about the long delay until the trial. He can sweat for a while; and it gives the Georgia (that "perfect" call) and documents handling (federal) cases more time to gather evidence and fester.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Yes in a sense I am glad about the long delay until the trial. He can sweat for a while; and it gives the Georgia (that "perfect" call) and documents handling (federal) cases more time to gather evidence and fester.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

We can only hope.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm not sure (i.e., I haven't the foggiest idea) why that last post of mine is doubled. Didn't we at one time have a 'delete post' button or is that my imagination?

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

I thought we could do a "delete" with the edit function. I then went back to one of my old posts and tried to edit it. I couldn't find the edit icon. Do you suppose that is a temporary problem, or are they changing the rules? "went" was edited in.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

From the FAQ
"How do I edit or delete a post?
Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made. . . . Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied."

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

From the FAQ
Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made. . . . Please note that normal users cannot delete a post once someone has replied."

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

From the FAQ
2nd try at posting.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

I tried to delete the 2 posts that are dupes of the one above. It just got worse and worse. I give up.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Legal question. From the Atlantic reporting on the topic - but I have seen essentially the same sentence elsewhere - "But in New York, falsification of business records is a misdemeanor."

With ordinary theft there is a cutoff $ amount which varies among the states but for NYS it's $1000 - above that is a felony. For some reason it's $2500 in Wisconsin but only $200 in New Jersey. (https://worldpopulationreview.com/state ... t-by-state). But I have seen that sentence often enough that it seems there is no limit - falsifying business records is a misdemeanor even if it benefits you to much more than the felony theft amount. Is this true and is there a reason for it? Or is it that the falsification itself is a misdemeanor while the result - tax avoidance or making your business seem more profitable than it actually is - could be a separately charged felony if large enough?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I don't know the specific statute beyond what I have heard on the news, but it is my understanding that falsification of business records to aid in the committing or concealment of another crime is a felony; so any falsification with an intent to defraud would be a misdemeanor, but when done to aid or cover up another crime (such as theft), it would become a felony. In your hypothetical, if it involves a large amount of money it is quite likely to be alteration in connection with another crime.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I suppose that's my point. I assume - maybe wrongly - that falsification = intent to deceive. In other words, a genuine mistake entering "How much did that cost? Twelve fifty?" as $12.50 instead of $1,250 would end up with a 'please be more careful next time' admonition rather than a lawsuit. While someone entering $50,000 as a business expense instead of what it really was - e.g., a rent subsidy to a top employee so he can evade taxes and ultimately the company gets to keep that employee on the taxpayers' dime - does it deliberately and with full intent to deceive. Does the 'falsification' stay a misdemeanor regardless of the dollar amount and then the self-enriching if any (as a result of the falsification) become a felony if it is worth more than $XXX?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Big RR wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:53 pm
I saw something on TV about T shirts with a fake mugshot and "Not Guilty" below it going for $47.
The Trumper Rebellion members need to remember that just because someone was found "not guilty" doesn't necessarily mean they were innocent.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?