Kinda sure that I cannot vote for Biden in '24

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Burning Petard

Re: Kinda sure that I cannot vote for Biden in '24

Post by Burning Petard »

Canadians are notorious for being polite and kindly. No so down here below. It is a repeated and common rhetorical device in ordinary discussions for one to say "that really offends me to hear you say that." At that point the discussion stops, the other speaker says 'I'm sorry and the line of conversation drastically changes. Several years ago at a respectable University in the Philadelphia PA area, there was a group of students loudly discussing a locally controversial subject, late in the evening, in an open area adjacent to a dormitory. One student leaned out an open window and asked them to quiet down, he was trying to study. A student in the group outside the window declared they had a right do be as loud as they wanted. The student in the window called that individual a 'water buffalo'. The school declared that such an epithet was offensive and ended his matriculation as a student.

Can I provide documentation? No. Neither is this site operating under any rules similar to historical research scholars or legal investigators.

I am not sorry if that offends you.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Here's a ten year old article about the now 30 year old water buffalo incident at Penn. https://www.phillymag.com/news/2013/04/ ... 0-years/2/
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

And the gap between all that and that anyone has claimed that the right to not be offended emanates from the Constitution is still quite wide.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Sorry Sccoter, you Canadianness is showing. These rights DO NOT Eminate from the Constitution. The constitution here in the USofA is a list of limitations imposed by the people on the government. Sovereignty and rights are retained by the people, not granted by our constitution. That is what is reinforced by the words of the 9th and 10 amendment. However, I grant that one Judge, while being interviewed by the Senate during consideration as a Justice on our Supreme Court declared that these two amendments were 'dead letter' and of no consequence.

snailgate.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Scooter wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:38 pm
Burning Petard wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:27 pm
It is now assumed by some that among the rights recognized by the US Constitution, particularly by Amendments nine and ten, is the right to not be offended.
Please provide a quotation from someone who claims that the right to not be offended is among the unenumerated rights of the Constitution, whether by the operation of the 9th and 10th Amendments, or otherwise.
Snail, you misunderstood Scooter. He wasn't saying such things were in the Constitution.

You wrote "it is now assumed by some that among the rights recognized by the US Constitution". He challenged you to back your claim by providing proof of such an assumption. He's asking you to quote any person who said that the right to not be offended is among the rights of the Constitution.

In his second post, he pointed out the gap between posted examples of people being offended and the absence of any evidence that they believe the Constitution protects them from offense. He's right.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts