Kinda sure that I cannot vote for Biden in '24

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Joe Guy

Re: Kinda sure that I cannot vote for Biden in '24

Post by Joe Guy »

Then there's this Ed Deegan, who probably kills people.... (or will in the future)

link

He is charged with being the bodyguard, messenger, head of security and righthand man for the centuries-old family, who in return, give him room and board in their villa, located in Beacon Hill. Edward was originally hired by the Cabot family in November 2058, replacing a previous aide, Daniel.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:34 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:39 pm
Ed Deegan
That's a name. Apparently an Architectural company. You make a blanket assertion that "the police and courts" are corrupt.

Cite your evidence please. Tossing one (presumed) miscarriage of justice onto the page isn't evidence, not even an argument

Bangs head some more
The murder of Ed Deegan. FBI deliberately framed 6 people.

Sharerf Cousin.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

A 55 year old case, ok.

What about the Central Park Five? Coerced confessions leading to wrongful convictions. Your messiah Donald Trump irreparably tainted the jury pool by taking out full page ads calling for their execution. Even when they were unequivocally exonerated by DNA and the confession of the actual perpetrator, Trump refused to concede their innocence or apologize for his role in demonizing them in the eyes of the public.

Anything to say about that?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:17 am
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:39 pm
Ed Deegan
That's a name. Apparently an Architectural company. You make a blanket assertion that "the police and courts" are corrupt.

Cite your evidence please. Tossing one (presumed) miscarriage of justice onto the page isn't evidence, not even an argument

Bangs head some more

Sharerf Cousin.
I’m ashamed to admit I am only just learning the case of Ed Deegan - although in fairness it happened years before my birth. But I am surprised there has not been a major documentary or feature film of the story? Or has there been and I’ve missed it?

I do recall a good feature film on Whitey Bulger that revealed the depths of FBI corruption in Boston.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:13 am
Jarlaxle wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:17 am
MajGenl.Meade wrote:

Bangs head some more

Sharerf Cousin.
I’m ashamed to admit I am only just learning the case of Ed Deegan - although in fairness it happened years before my birth. But I am surprised there has not been a major documentary or feature film of the story? Or has there been and I’ve missed it?

I do recall a good feature film on Whitey Bulger that revealed the depths of FBI corruption in Boston.
I'm pretty sure Howie Carr went into some detail in his books about Whitey Bulger, Steve Flemmi, and John Martorano. The lawsuits against the FBI only were resolved in the last 15 years or so.

While it's one of the most egregious cases (why i knew it off the top of my head), it's far from the only one.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Are you serious? The 1960s? J Edgar Hoover and all that? A terrible event that the JUSTICE SYSTEM investigated and for which millions of taxpayer dollars were paid in compensation????? Shareef - a miscarriage of justice indeed.

That's what you got for "the police and courts" are corrupt as if that's the normal mode of justice in the USA?

You'd be better off citing black citizens gunned down by over-eager cops. Which is not "corruption" but something just as bad.

How about answering Scooter's question? Why isn't Trump on your list of corrupt traitors to justice who should be shot?
Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Somebody might want to also learn a little bit more about John Ross, who Jarl memorializes in his current sig line (at least, I assume this is the John Ross he is referring to)This link is to the Wikipedia page in his name (there is a second Wikipedia page about his one published novel, which has become something akin to sacred scripture among gun-rights aficianados).

Apparently he was a staunch believer in 'Praise the Lord and pass out the pistols', as one of the comments I read about him on one of the many gun-lovers' forums that came up during a search for his name claimed that he believed American gun culture has been steadily repressed going back as far as the National Firearms Act of 1934, which banned ownership of machine guns, sawed-off rifles or shotguns, or silencers ('destructive devices', such as grenades, bombs, artillery shells, and large-bore, non-sporting weapons such as cannons, mortars, howitzers, RPGs, or the odd thermo-nuclear weapon that some fourteen-year-old might try to piece together were later banned under the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968) without holding a permit from the federal BATF, and mandated the payment of a tax for transfer of same between individuals.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:46 am
Somebody might want to also learn a little bit more about John Ross, who Jarl memorializes in his current sig line (at least, I assume this is the John Ross he is referring to)This link is to the Wikipedia page in his name (there is a second Wikipedia page about his one published novel, which has become something akin to sacred scripture among gun-rights aficianados).

Apparently he was a staunch believer in 'Praise the Lord and pass out the pistols', as one of the comments I read about him on one of the many gun-lovers' forums that came up during a search for his name claimed that he believed American gun culture has been steadily repressed going back as far as the National Firearms Act of 1934, which banned ownership of machine guns, sawed-off rifles or shotguns, or silencers ('destructive devices', such as grenades, bombs, artillery shells, and large-bore, non-sporting weapons such as cannons, mortars, howitzers, RPGs, or the odd thermo-nuclear weapon that some fourteen-year-old might try to piece together were later banned under the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968) without holding a permit from the federal BATF, and mandated the payment of a tax for transfer of same between individuals.
-"BB"-
Are you attempting to make some sort of POINT?

The chance John Ross actually said, "Praise the Lord and pass out the pistols," is zero.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Spot the difference:
Apparently he was a staunch believer in 'Praise the Lord and pass out the pistols'
The chance John Ross actually said, "Praise the Lord and pass out the pistols," is zero.
Hint: "believer" and "said" are two different words
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:45 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:16 pm
I once was heavily in favor of it. I now realize how corrupt the police and courts are.
And how corrupt is that . . . or to be clear, what evidences of this corruption can you cite?

Yeah. I know.
For the last five days I’ve been bookmarking various webpages with the intention to use them to write a long exhaustive reply to this post.

But I’m not going to because I’m just too tired. I’m just astounded that you could let your frustration with Jarl (which I certainly share at times) prompt you to write such a tone deaf reply. Because I know that you have seen abundant evidence of the widespread corruption of police and courts all over the news in the society where we both live.

Among the stories just from this week which I’m not linking but which Google will help you find if you care to was one about hundreds of corrupt Connecticut state troopers who falsified work records for personal gain; another about corrupt or massively incompetent police in Wales and England who lost evidence leading to the collapse of over one dozen MURDER cases, 100 RAPE cases, and over 7000 other types of cases in JUST ONE YEARS’ TIME; and of course the usual cases of total exonerations by DNA evidence coming after decades in prison or living under the stigma of wrongful convictions. And a case or two of cops gunning down citizens who pose no serious threat of imminent harm.

Let’s be serious Meade. I mean you are a religious guy who spends much of his life in contemplation of the utter corruption of the human condition - why should you think it is any different in the halls of pretend justice?

Police and courts are massively corrupt and/or incompetent. There are definitely some very good eggs working in the system and trying to do what is right. Many of them are corrupted unwittingly by the corruption around them that they can’t - or won’t - see.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Fair comment. I guess I'm fixated on "corruption" meaning doing something for monetary gain. (Which is the predominant situation in South Africa when the SAPS are involved in misdeeds other than sheer bullying and brutality, neither of which is "corruption" to my understanding).

Of course, something can be corrupt by inaction as well as by action, when economic gain is not involved. But I categorize that as perversion of justice rather than corruption (see above) on a par with shooting innocent (usually black) civilians in the USA, and falsely jailing them elsewhere.

Indeed many cases (in the UK) reveal that the cops will "fit someone up" at the drop of a hint. If you ever get a chance to watch the 30 for 30 ESPN/BBC 2014 docu on the Hillsborough disaster, the depths to which the South Yorkshire police sank in order to protect . . . themselves essentially . . . were appalling. Even ordinary cops found that their own (truthful) statements were sanitized and amended beyond recognition, one of them becoming a whistle-blower in the non-traditional sense.

But, just as I don't go around arguing that blacks are criminals because the jails are predominantly filled with blacks, in the same way I reject broad-brush characterization of the police and the courts as "corrupt" - whether by my definition of financial gain or anyone else's justified understanding of how the word is used. Hence, when it is used, I ask for concrete evidence just so I know the person making the accusation has some grounds other than knee-jerk axe-grinding

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The Connecticut state troopers were falsifying records for what is ultimately personal gain - better performance records leading to better reviews and more favorable treatment including pay rises - they were fabricating traffic stops that never ever happened.

As to the over 7000 criminal cases tanked by Welsh and English police in 2021-2022, do any of us really think that all of those cases were simple mistakes of failure to log evidence or losing evidence transported between one nick and another? It just fell behind the dryer? I mean c’mon, the cases are legion in global policing of coppers stealing evidence for their own personal gain - whether because it’s drugs or other stuff they can sell, or whether it’s selling somebody their freedom by making damning evidence disappear.

American police are a particularly nasty brand of thuggery and believe me it’s been a long road for me to come from a girl who was raised to revere authority especially police and military to a jaded woman who has seen firsthand the testilying and fabrication of evidence foisted upon sometimes unwitting prosecutors and sometimes prosecutors who are wholeheartedly down with whatever wins them cases - who can say that American cops are the first and foremost gang in this land and they are so entrenched and powerful that I doubt real reform is going to happen in my lifetime if ever. People have good reason to be angry and distrustful, poor and people of color have always known this and it is only idiots like me who are slowly waking up to it.

As to the courts - I’m fair sure that like all else, if you’ve seen this slice of life one place you’ve seen a window to it everywhere and I’ve had the privilege to see a slice of it in many places in this country, at the lowest levels in rural nowhere to the highest court in the land. Chock full o’ nuts and corruption, sad to say. Where’s Clarence on vacation this month, and with whom?

Some of the corruption is not for personal financial gain I’ll admit. I don’t think it’s any less corrupt, if corrupt means something rotten and unsound. The fact that there are so many cops and prosecutors and judges who will make their egos sing at the price of likely injustice that devastates someone else’s life and soul is far worse than if they were doing it to buy bread for their hungry kids, after all.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:47 pm
do any of us really think that all of those cases were simple mistakes of failure to log evidence or losing evidence transported between one nick and another?
Er, no and nobody ever did think that, so I'll take rhetorical questions for 200 please Alex.

It's a little odd, BSG. Even when I write that yours was "fair comment" and then explain the definition I was working with and then I accept that there is a different kind of "corruption" which includes the others cases you mentioned, well you still seem (a bit) to be chastising me for not agreeing. Although I did. Maybe I don't explain myself very well. Or perhaps I'm taking your response rather too personally when all you did was make a big clarification. :lol:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:05 pm
Or perhaps I'm taking your response rather too personally when all you did was make a big clarification. :lol:
C’mon Meade, you know if I was trying to piss you off I would have sworn a blue streak. Haven’t you noticed how little I’ve used vulgar language in recent months?

A girl makes efforts to be nicer and nobody even gives her a gold star. *sigh*
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA:

GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

So I stole it. But it's the thort that counts, ain't it?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:ok
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:12 am
Are you serious? The 1960s? J Edgar Hoover and all that? A terrible event that the JUSTICE SYSTEM investigated and for which millions of taxpayer dollars were paid in compensation????? Shareef - a miscarriage of justice indeed.

That's what you got for "the police and courts" are corrupt as if that's the normal mode of justice in the USA?
That was off the top of my head while at work.
You'd be better off citing black citizens gunned down by over-eager cops. Which is not "corruption" but something just as bad.
So...have you not read a single post I have made here, or are you playing stupid?
How about answering Scooter's question? Why isn't Trump on your list of corrupt traitors to justice who should be shot?
I didn't see it because scooter has been on my ignore list for over a year.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:42 pm

So...have you not read a single post I have made here, or are you playing stupid?
Can I have more choices please?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

And it looks as if I may not be alone in this . . .
These views play into early-stage election preferences. A remarkable 62% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents say the party should pick someone other than Biden as its nominee in 2024; just a third back Biden. Desire for a different candidate is at a numerical high, but also consistent with past results (56 to 58%) the past year.

Who, if not Biden, is an open question. In an open-ended question, 8% express a preference for Kamala Harris, 8% for Bernie Sanders and 7% for Robert F. Kennedy Jr., with other mentions in the low single digits. Just "someone else" comes in at 20%.

Among the 56% of Americans who disapprove of Biden's work in office, a wide 75% say that, looking back, they approve of Trump.
:arg Well, that's hardly surprising - presumably a very large portion of the disapprovers are in fact Trumpistas anyway.

Nevertheless, this is a grave warning for the Dems and all of us who hope to scotch the Reichsfuhrer Return