It Is With The Highest Amount of Solemn-Nendy....

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Big RR

Re: It Is With The Highest Amount of Solemn-Nendy....

Post by Big RR »

Sue--I agree with you on the court packing being Constitutional, but I personally don't like it to achieve a political end--even one I support (because it can easily be used the other way. Yes, the court is not apolitical, and never has been, but this can take it to a new level. There are a lot of good reasons for expanding the court, or reforming the appellate system (perhaps to get some high appellate courts between the appellate division and the USSC, kind of what the CAFC has done since its inception, especially in IP (and. of course the SC can step in when it chooses to do so--and it has more recently), but just appointing justices to achieve a political balance (or tilt in a given direction) is not, IMHO, the way to do it. The SC is not particularly powerful, but in some v cases it is out best defense from a runaway executive seeking to usurp power (of course, we could have the switch in time to save nine again, which shows the court can be politically savvy as well). Just one man's opinion, but ti does make me uncomfortable.