Watching CNN

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Watching CNN

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

. . . on the 2010 decade. They had a clip of Obama after Sandy Hook and again after the Charleston SC church shooting.

Don't get me wrong - I think Biden is overall a force for good. But I would give anything to repeal the 22nd Amendment two term restriction.

Joe Guy

Re: Watching CNN

Post by Joe Guy »

I think your opinion might be heavily influenced by the fact that Obama was the last president we had in the U.S. that could speak coherently. The extremely remote possibility of a more than two-term Trump (or Trump-like) presidency is enough to make me feel the 22nd amendment should be left alone.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:32 am
I would give anything to repeal the 22nd Amendment two term restriction.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I will never forget election night in 2008. I was living in Montana then, had been there for a little over a year. I went out to the bar late to have a celebratory drink after watching the Obamas in Chicago. At the bar I heard the N word more than I had since my childhood growing up with a violent bigot. Many people were outraged that he’d been elected. The racism was dripping from the walls. I was stunned. Yes, I’d been more than a little naive about how rural America really feels about people of color. A year working with Indians on the Rez and seeing how some of the white folks in border towns treated them had started opening my eyes, but election night was the icing on the cake of my disillusionment. I have not really been surprised by anything that’s happened since Trump came down that escalator because I saw the potential for it that night in the bar with ‘nice people’ who I had no idea harbored such ugliness inside.

I miss terribly having an articulate advocate in the White House. In terms of presentation and inspiration, Obama was the best president of my lifetime. But to millions in this country he is seen in an entirely different light. That reality is beyond disturbing.

I don’t like this timeline. Wish I could do some verse jumping like Evelyn.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

But I would give anything to repeal the 22nd Amendment two term restriction.
I guess I would support it if we did away with reelection of the president altogether and limit the tenure to one 6 year term. The CSA had a pretty good idea on that.
Last edited by Big RR on Tue May 23, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Ex-, please check your PM's for a recent message from me. Methuselah

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Joe Guy wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:49 am
I think your opinion might be heavily influenced by the fact that Obama was the last president we had in the U.S. that could speak coherently. The extremely remote possibility of a more than two-term Trump (or Trump-like) presidency is enough to make me feel the 22nd amendment should be left alone.
Yes. A sobering thought.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Big RR wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:05 pm
I guess I would support it if we did away with reelection of the president altogether and limit the tenure to one 6 year term. The CSA had a pretty good idea on that.
I'd scrap the whole thing and move to a parliamentary system with proportional representation and/or ranked-choice voting.
GAH!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Sue U wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 7:31 pm
Big RR wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:05 pm
I'd scrap the whole thing and move to a parliamentary system with proportional representation and/or ranked-choice voting.
Either one of these ideas would be logical.   But do you really expect logic from a country that steadfastly refuses to join the rest of the world and consistently measure things in accordance with the metric system?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

We're getting there--many (perhaps most) bolts use metric sizing (and most wrench sets include metric sized wrenches) and I think the same is true for a lot of other hardware; car engines have been sized in liters instead of cubic inches for years. Liquid measure has become pretty much metric as a standard (e.g. liquors are sold by the liter and 750 ml instead of quarts and fifths), although gasoline is still sold in gallons, like in the UK (but their gallon is different). Granted, we do not use Celsius for temperature, but I personally prefer Fahrenheit, mainly because it is much more familiar (I pretty much know what 70 degrees F is but don't have the same familiarity with degrees C and will convert to f while travelling) and more precise (would you rather know that normal temperature is 98.6 degrees F or "around 37 degrees C"? Indeed, the medical establishment is starting to push back to use F). A lot of other measure units (like frlongs in horse racing or acres in land measurement) are pretty specialized and entrenched in their technical areas and are unlikely to change--but it doesn't make a big difference to most people.

Even scientists, although using essentially metric system (except for some pretty old publications, I haven't seen degrees Rankine (absolute temperature in Fahrenheit degrees), but argue about whether to use CGS or SI units--there still are disputes there.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

It's what you are used to. I was in England earlier this month and had to mentally convert the celsius to Fahrenheit to decide whether I needed a jacket. But similarly in the lab if I got a melting point in F I had to convert it to C to make any sense of it.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

IIRC in England (at least as of 5 years ago) speed limits were still posted in miles per hour.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Econoline wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 3:48 am
IIRC in England (at least as of 5 years ago) speed limits were still posted in miles per hour.
Yes they are. And distances are in miles and the popular road maps are in miles to the inch. But petrol (gas) is sold in litres (note the spelling) and produce is measured in g or mL. Interesting that milk is labelled in L but the bottles are, for example, 2.272L which is 4 pints - as Big RR pointed out, a UK pint is different from a US one.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

We post in mph because it slows down those crazy European drivers
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts