I Am An Innocent Man....

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Joe Guy

Re: I Am An Innocent Man....

Post by Joe Guy »

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Fair question:

Where are the lawyers?
GAH!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:26 pm
Fair question:

Where are the lawyers?
The shit has hit the fan. HEY!

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Econoline wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:11 am
The shit has hit the fan. HEY!

Looking for Big RR in the audience on that clip (Capitol Theater, 04-18-1980).
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I'll never tell. :D

FWIW,asI recall, that's around when the Capitol Theater began its descent into decrepitude, although it remained open through much of the 80s. I think the last act I saw there was Jethro Tull in around 84-87, and it was pretty riundown then.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

For those of you who do not follow British politics, there are some extraordinary parallels. Boris Johnson, who undoubtedly had a veneer of intelligence of the I-can-do-quotes-in-Latin type, was of course hounded out of office by those political clowns who resented his success with the populace, or something like that. Johnson did not do anything as dangerous as Jan 6 or storing nuclear secrets in his outhouse (as far as we know) but he did hold numerous parties during Covid lockdown that normal people either could not do or were heavily fined for doing. (Remember the pictures of the Queen alone in her pew at Philip's funeral - her husband of 73 years.). What was worse was that he then lied about it to Parliament which has always been a line one cannot cross.

When a PM resigns or is tossed aside he gets to do an 'Honours List" - people he wants to see made Lord This or Dame That or, for the poorer classes, Order or Member of the British Empire. The Empire is long gone - you guys started that rot in 1776 - but these lower level gongs remain. It's interesting that his hairdresser got one. If there is one person who famously does not dress his hair (or maybe he does and it's all an artless act) it's our Boris.

Anyway despite the lying and serial adulteries (no-one, least of all Boris is quite sure how many kids he has) there are those who want him back. According to today's Guardian " . . . more than half of people who voted Tory in 2019 don’t think his career is over, according to the [Savanta] survey."

Whether you are talking President or Prime Minister, morality, integrity and competence appear no longer to be requirements for the job. Despite what Meatloaf told us all those years ago, one out of three ain't bad.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

That's genius BB - must go to that site.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BB--
Whether you are talking President or Prime Minister, morality, integrity and competence appear no longer to be requirements for the job.
Were they ever?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:28 pm
BB--
Whether you are talking President or Prime Minister, morality, integrity and competence appear no longer to be requirements for the job.
Were they ever?
Probably not, but I can recall several times within my own lifetime when at least the illusion of morality, integrity, and competence were factors.  Remember when Tom Eagleton got the heave-ho in 1972 because he had suffered from depression; had checked himself into hospital three times between 1960 and 1966 for physical and nervous exhaustion; and had received electroconvulsive therapy (shock therapy) twice?  And then there was Gary Hart who saw his 1988 ambitions get torpedoed when stories came out about he and Donna Rice on board that party boat (with the ironically appropriate name of "Monkey Business"), and the time Howard Dean's 2004 'primal scream' turned him from a front-runner to an also-ran.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

FWIW, I do think that candidates (like Hart) were dumped when illicit affairs came to light, but Eagleton's problems were hardly a moral faiure. But once in office, moral failings are usually ignored or winked at, although the opposition will sometimes use them (and J Edgar Hoover was a master at controlling and manipulating people that way).

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

FB_IMG_1686946997553.jpg
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Even tho it is a bunch of felony raps, with significant potential prison terms, it is only the softening up for the real legal attack on Trump. Last nite I heard 'experts' from the USofA on the BBC radio world news, explaining the only requirements for holding the office of President in this fair land make it possible that Trump could be president and yet a prisoner under work release, in the oval office.

Sure. It is possible. But those experts are neglecting the details in Section 3 of the 14th amendment. The real meat is the January 6th event. If Trump is nailed with aid and abet on that one, he could be banned from any and all elective offices. [except maybe as sheriff of a county in Arizona. They might say the sheriff is NOT an agent of the State,] The only appeal is relief from the majority of both houses of congress.

snailgate