Why the silence ?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
rubato

Why the silence ?

Post by rubato »

1. Why has no one mentioned that Scalia accepted tens of thousands in hunting trips?

2. Why have I not heard the name of Bakke vs the Unov. Of California?

The latter makes the recent decision more evolutionary.than revolutionary.

Yrs rubato

Sue U

Re: Why the silence ?

Post by Sue U »

rubato wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:37 am
1. Why has no one mentioned that Scalia accepted tens of thousands in hunting trips?
Scalia is dead and no longer making decisions on the Court; it was the subject of plenty of discussion during his tenure and after his death.
rubato wrote:

Yrs rubato
Bakke actually upheld affirmative action as a policy, although it prohibited the use of formal racial quotas in admissions. Last month's UNC and Harvard cases prohibited universities that receive government funding from even considering race as an element in the composition of their student bodies, effectively outlawing affirmative action for populations that have been historically underrepresented and marginalized due to racial discrimination. To the extent Bakke is relevant to the discussion, it is another long-standing (45 years) legal precedent summarily overturned by this Court.
GAH!

liberty

Post by liberty »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:38 pm
rubato wrote:
Scalia is dead and no longer making decisions on the Court; it was the subject of plenty of discussion during his tenure and after his death.
rubato wrote:

Yrs rubato
Bakke actually upheld affirmative action as a policy, although it prohibited the use of formal racial quotas in admissions. Last month's UNC and Harvard cases prohibited universities that receive government funding from even considering race as an element in the composition of their student bodies, effectively outlawing affirmative action for populations that have been historically underrepresented and marginalized due to racial discrimination. To the extent Bakke is relevant to the discussion, it is another long-standing (45 years) legal precedent summarily overturned by this Court.
As I understand it, one can have affirmative action, but you can't use race. Instead of race, use family economics status, geography, slave ancestry, and DNA. The family economics would allow in a lot of whites. Geography would eliminate most whites cause most whites don't live in those areas. Slave ancestry would cut out even more. It would still leave some, but setting a DNA minimum limit for slave ancestry would eliminate the rest. You would have affirmative action, but you would not have used race.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And, of course, legacy preferences remain in place--I wonder who they benefit?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:31 pm
And, of course, legacy preferences remain in place--I wonder who they benefit?
I was heartened to see this article yesterday mentioning some schools that have ended legacy admissions. https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/19/us/wesle ... index.html

I don’t really get legacy admissions. If your parent went to Harvard, you would probably already have a huge advantage over most other applicants and if you can’t make it on your own merit, why do you deserve a boost because mom or dad got in? Truth be told I’ve no doubt that many legacy admissions to premier universities couldn’t get in on merit alone under blind admissions.

I know, I know these elite universities are a networking experience for the elite in our society and those students are the ones who really don’t need to worry about the GPA because their position at daddy’s hedge fund is already a sure thing. Barf.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

liberty wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:47 am
As I understand it, one can have affirmative action, but you can't use race. Instead of race, use family economics status, geography, slave ancestry, and DNA. The family economics would allow in a lot of whites. Geography would eliminate most whites cause most whites don't live in those areas. Slave ancestry would cut out even more. It would still leave some, but setting a DNA minimum limit for slave ancestry would eliminate the rest. You would have affirmative action, but you would not have used race.
If you didn't know and apparently you don't, universities already use economic status and geography in admissions decisions (despite the absurdity of your claim that "[g]eography would eliminate most whites cause most whites don't live in those areas"). And how exactly do you think a university could use "slave ancestry and DNA" on an admission application? How is an applicant supposed to document "slave ancestry" apart from racial identification, and how do you think DNA could possibly show "slave ancestry"? Again, notwithstanding that this has virtually fuck all to do with creating a diverse student body in the 21st Century, since there are more than "black" and "white" people in this country; your misconception of affirmative action as "eliminating whites" again shows what a racist tool you are.
BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:51 pm
I don’t really get legacy admissions. If your parent went to Harvard, you would probably already have a huge advantage over most other applicants and if you can’t make it on your own merit, why do you deserve a boost because mom or dad got in? Truth be told I’ve no doubt that many legacy admissions to premier universities couldn’t get in on merit alone under blind admissions.
No, you obviously understand legacy admissions just fine. 8-)
GAH!

rubato

Re: Why the silence

Post by rubato »

Sue U wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:38 pm
rubato wrote:
rubato wrote:

Yrs rubato
I am very familiar with Bakke, it was current at the time. One interesting detail is that UCD filed a brief which admitted that among the 500 top applicants for 100 positions they had no way of choosing better from worse.

In any case affirmative action was always a method which would be destroyed. History requires it. And in the real, imperfect world timing of its demise would never be perfect. So this is not my ideal but maybe it is good enoungh. In most g 7 countries f the professions women have equal access.

Yea,rubato

rubato

Post by rubato »

But you have failed to explain why Scalia is not mentioned. Is Thomas behavior is surprising and wrong then it would be natural to mentione Scalia similar behavior to emphasize the need for reform. How is it that lower courts prohibit what the SC permits?

rubato

Post by rubato »

But you have failed to explain why Scalia is not mentioned. If Thomas behavior is surprising and wrong then it would be natural to mentione Scalia similar behavior to emphasize the need for reform. How is it that lower courts prohibit what the SC permits?

Yrs,
Rubato