War is not healthy for living things.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Burning Petard

War is not healthy for living things.

Post by Burning Petard »

Today, July 27 in the USofA is National Korean War Veterans Armistice Day

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/nationa ... y-july-27/

War is destructive at all levels. This one, the Korean War, approved and supported by the United Nations, seems to me is preferred to be forgotten by most Americans. The current news from just ten days ago, when a GI fled to North Korea, forced us to remember us that this war has not ended. and a no-man's-land still separates the combatants.

snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: War is not healthy for living things.

Post by Bicycle Bill »

And if Trump and his GQP ilk had their way, there'd be a no-man's-land, complete with the Great Wall of America, fully equipped with observation towers, tank traps, guard dogs, radar, infra-red scanners, drones, and a clear line-of-sight fire zone — along the entire Mexican border.

Then I'm sure they'd turn their eyes northward to Canada...
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Burning Petard wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:31 pm
. . .the Korean War, approved and supported by the United Nations, seems to me is preferred to be forgotten by most Americans.
It's likely that all history is forgotten by most Americans. To be fair, hardly any was known in the first place.

It's the only explanation for "some slaves learned some useful skills so it wasn't all bad". Or "Europeans saved the lives of blacks by shipping them out of Africa where they'd all have died otherwise". Or "the election was rigged"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

"It's likely that all history is forgotten by most Americans. To be fair, hardly any was known in the first place."

Oh my! That is SOOOOO good. I was thinking of stealing it, but I decided to give you credit.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I live with those kind of Americans. In fairness they are decent people and generally progressive folk who vote liberal in most instances I’m sure. But they just don’t pay attention to anything but the biggest of stories in the smallest of sound bites when it comes to such things as politics, policy, international relations, etc. They could however tell you in minute detail anything you could ever want to know about the Marvel universe, Supernatural, and who won American Idol every season since it started.

I don’t get it.

Except, as Christa Worthington pointed out, while the unexamined life is not worth living, the examined life can make you want to die. There can be bliss in ignorance, I’m told.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BP--FWIW, the Korean truce and division has worked a lot better than many war outcomes: shots are rarely, if ever, fired (can we say the same about all our, e.g., middle east ventures/0, and the South, at least, is progressing toward some form of democracy (especially since the 70s) and has a pretty thriving economy--contrast that with a lot of hot zones in the world. Indeed, I do think it shows that negotiated settlements (or even standstills) arE preferable to fighting--the sad thing is that sometimes people need the horror of the fight to bring them to the negotiating table. This is just as true among businesses, and even in domestic relationships; we are just a disagreeable species.
Last edited by Big RR on Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:01 pm
And if Trump and his GQP ilk had their way, there'd be a no-man's-land, complete with the Great Wall of America, fully equipped with observation towers, tank traps, guard dogs, radar, infra-red scanners, drones, and a clear line-of-sight fire zone — along the entire Mexican border.
[/img]
-"BB"-
Naah, no need for most of that. Just barbed wire, motion sensors, land mines, and armed drones. Long past time for that.