Frozen McConnell

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Joe Guy

Frozen McConnell

Post by Joe Guy »

This is sad. Another episode....

BoSoxGal

Re: Frozen McConnell

Post by BoSoxGal »

It’s not really sad, it’s just science. He had a serious concussion not that long ago and he’s suffering episodes of seizure or possibly transient ischemic stroke. Or maybe something else - I just saw a segment with Dr. Gupta suggesting it could be something like Parkinson’s and I’ve certainly seen similar in patients with that. To be honest, I’ve had shorter episodes like that myself from migraine headaches and migraine meds. The brain is a complex organ.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ariannajoh ... s-say/amp/

Politicians are just people and their bodies suffer disease and aging just like everyone else. We had a president once who saved the nation while suffering the torments of acute depression and another who got this country through some of its darkest hours from a wheelchair.

I grew up spending a lot of time with elders and I’ve spent even more recently and I have a different perspective. Understanding how much that gets done on Capitol Hill is done by the excellent energetic congressional staffers, I’m not terribly concerned with brief moments of compromised capacity from some elder senators who are also clearly lucid and articulate most of the time.

On the one hand I’d love to see McConnell retired, but the alternative will doubtless be worse as McConnell has kept the MAGA idiots on a kind of leash and when he’s gone things could get much uglier - so I’d just as soon see him serve out his term unless he becomes actually incapacitated.

If John Fetterman can be there, and Strom Thurmond could be there, why not Mitch McConnell?

There are people on this board who actually believe that Joe Biden is suffering from advanced dementia - only proving that they have no concept of what advanced dementia looks like. I just watched Biden in a press conference earlier today, speaking about Idalia and also Lahaina and FEMA response and the need for the federal government to always respond to natural disasters and going into great detail off the cuff in reply to reporters’ questions about his conversations with various governors and federal agency heads covering many issues related to climate change driven natural disasters. He is clearly fully in his right mind and has a great understanding of the issues and yet it was painful to listen to him because he has a speech impediment he has had all his bloody life which makes it difficult to listen to him and that is exactly why people like him get bullied as kids and sometimes their entire lives. All the dementia BS being bandied about on FOX and other right wing media and in social media online is just a giant circle jerk of bullies bullying the stutterer, nothing more.

Of course Biden is tired, he’s 80. McConnell is tired too at 81. Diane Feinstein is even more tired, and she probably really needs to consider stepping down. But I have seen nothing to suggest that Biden and McConnell aren’t getting the job done, whipping their very capable staffs and also whipping a bunch of younger dumber much less trustworthy politicians into shape.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:00 pm
It’s not really sad, it’s just science. He had a serious concussion not that long ago and he’s suffering episodes of seizure or possibly transient ischemic stroke.....
It's still a sad situation regardless of the cause. The only situation I can think of where it wouldn't be sad is if it were Trump and he dropped dead at a news conference.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Joe Guy wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:06 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:00 pm
It’s not really sad, it’s just science. He had a serious concussion not that long ago and he’s suffering episodes of seizure or possibly transient ischemic stroke.....
It's still a sad situation regardless of the cause. The only situation I can think of where it wouldn't be sad is if it were Trump and he dropped dead at a news conference.
+ a googolplex
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

trump-tombstone.jpg

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

McConnell took the wrong path . . .

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Major General sir, I have been bothered by your tagline:

"For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-"

I sort of trans late that as 'properly understood' means 'agrees with me."

snailgate.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Burning Petard wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:33 pm
'properly understood' means 'agrees with me."
Isn't that the way every Christian views their religion?

For that matter, isn't that the way every believer in any religion views their own chosen system of beliefs?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Replied to both in a new thread to avoid cluttering this one
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Mitch is okay and not incompetent, according to actual doctors: https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/31/politics ... index.html

Years ago I had a case where an elderly bachelor rancher showed up on his nephew’s doorstep one morning - the nephew was a ranch manager and lived in a different house on the property - with a double barrel shotgun, threatening to blow him away. Very erratic and clearly a danger to others. Luckily deputies took him into custody without incident and I committed him to the custody of the state for a mental health evaluation. As it turned out, he was chronically dehydrated and suffering from unstable electrolyte levels. Especially in elder folks but in people of any age this can cause seriously altered mental status and behavior.

https://caregiver.com/api/amp/articles/ ... -delirium/

I have had patients who suffered this issue, and also seen patients become delirious adjacent to undiagnosed urinary tract infection.

Glad Mitch is okay - he’s a fucking bastard but the next fucking bastard could be a lot worse.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:30 pm
Is that David Johansen?
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sue U wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:55 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:30 pm
Is that David Johansen?
:lol: No, he's just a spring chicken. It's the year of the 80+ year olds, not to mention drugs, rock 'n roll, Mars bars and other aids to longevity

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Is this Mick Jagger?

Johansen.jpg

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

No, this is . . .

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

And this is Keith Richards when he was 9 yrs old....

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Honestly, you could swap the pix of Mick and Davey Jo and I'd believe it either way.
GAH!