Insurrection

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
liberty

Insurrection

Post by liberty »

I don't know what's in the Texas State constitution, but I do know this: the state is sovereign, and the city is not. The people of Texas as a collective have sovereignty over any individual and any people in any municipality, individually or collectively. These liberals in Texas think they are a Kingdom within themselves, and since when have liberals cared about what is in a constitution. They just it make it up to suit themselves as they go along. They need to get slapped down; this is an insurrection against the state of Texas. Hell, a city is just a corporation no different than GM or Ford; they even need permission from a state to exist.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-tex ... 50845&ei=8

[url][/url]
Texas judge declared a law that prevented cities from passing some local ordinances unconstitutional.
The law, championed by the Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, effectively limited the power of Democrat-led cities.
The law even eliminated ordinances that mandated water breaks for construction workers, earning it the nickname "the law that kills."
Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas, a Republican, signed a bill into law in June that prohibited cities from passing certain local ordinances. It was widely seen as an effort to curb the power of Democrat-led cities.

Now, a judge has ruled it unconstitutional.

District Judge Maya Guerra Gamble of Texas announced the decision on Wednesday in response to a lawsuit from the city of Houston.

"I am thrilled that Houston, our legal department, and sister cities were able to obtain this victory for Texas cities," Mayor Sylvester Turner of Houston wrote in a statement. "HB 2127 was a power grab by the Legislature and an unwarranted and unconstitutional intrusion into local power granted to Houston and other home-rule cities by the Texas Constitution."

The 10 big cities where young people are getting hired like crazy, and what your new income will buy you

Full screen
1 of 11 Photos in Gallery©kali9/Getty Images

The 10 big cities where young people are getting hired like crazy, and what your new income will buy you
Amid graduation season, Gusto analyzed city data to see where young job seekers can get the biggest value.
It ranked adjusted salaries for big cities that had the highest hiring rates for full-time young workers.
Houston ranked No. 1, while New York City ranked No. 10 with an adjusted salary of $31,707.
Houston, Philadelphia, and Austin, Texas, could be good places for college graduates to land their first post-graduation job or for young job seekers in general if they're worried about cost of living or their earnings amid elevated yet cooling inflation.

Gusto, a payroll and HR platform for small and mid-sized businesses, analyzed city-level data to see which places may have good opportunities for these new job seekers.

"These new graduates are entering the labor market at a time when the economy's undergoing a profound shift," Luke Pardue, an economist at Gusto, told Insider. "By some measures, it's never been easier to find a job with record low unemployment rates and high levels of job openings, but they're entering the labor market at a time when companies are also pulling back on hiring amid a lot of economic uncertainty."

"This isn't the labor market of the 2008 recession, but it's also not the labor market of last year, two years ago when employers were incredibly eager to scoop up new workers," Pardue said.

So, according to Pardue, they might have to think about industries or locations that they might not have been considering after earning their degree.

"We took a look this year at some of the areas where these new graduates could get the biggest bang for their buck because there's been so much conversation around inflation and how that's eaten into people's budgets," Pardue said. "Especially when these workers are young, it's really important to keep an eye on their finances because this is the time they have to save money and to save for the future."

To do this, Gusto looked at the 50 largest metro areas and what full-time hiring rates look like for young workers, including both college grads and non-grads. Gusto then sorted the 10 locations with the highest share of new hires getting full-time jobs by the average salaries that were adjusted by cost-of living indexes to see where these job seekers can get the biggest value.

While Houston ranked No. 1, New York City ranked No. 10 on Gusto's salary list. Gusto's new analysis stated that "after taking the cost of living into account, new graduates in Houston make an average of $65,648, compared to just over $31,000 in New York City." The salaries used in the analysis are based on data from Gusto's platform and were adjusted using cost-of-living indexes from C2ER.

The new report noted San Jose, California, as the city with the highest average full-time hiring rate between early 2022 and early 2023 for 20-24 year olds among major metros. For Houston, this rate is 8.5%, but 9.6% in San Jose.

The following are large cities with high full-time hiring rates for young workers where the class of 2023 and young job seekers can get the biggest bang for their buck, per Gusto's analysis.

See More
The Office of the Attorney General has appealed Gamble's decision, Paige Willey, the director of communications for the Office, said.

Libiyi
"While the judge declared HB 2127 unconstitutional, she did not enjoin enforcement of the law by Texans who are harmed by local ordinances, which HB 2127 preempts," Willey wrote to Insider. "The Office of the Attorney General has also immediately appealed because the ruling is incorrect. This will stay the effect of the court's declaration pending appeal. As a result, HB 2127 will go into effect on September 1."

The law even prevented ordinances that mandated things such as water breaks for construction workers, earning it the nickname "the law that kills." Texas saw protests from construction workers and their allies who said that an end to local water break mandates would result in more incidents of heat-related illness and death.

"This is a HUGE win for the working people of Texas, local govs, and communities across our state," the Texas AFL-CIO posted in response to the decision. "While we expect an appeal, it remains clear this law is an unacceptable infringement on the rights of Texans and cities."
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Scooter

Re: Insurrection

Post by Scooter »

The Village Idiot wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:25 pm
I don't know what's in the Texas State constitution
Then perhaps you should have taken the time to read it before demonstrating your stupidity once again. The Texas Constitution grants home rule to cities over 5000 population, which allows them to enact laws as they see fit, provided they are not inconsistent with the state constitution or the general laws of the state. HB2127 is an unconstitutional piece of garbage attempting to limit that power by preventing cities from enacting laws on matters where state law is silent.

Lerning is gud. U shud tri it.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

liberty wrote:
I don't know what's in the Texas State constitution, but
You're going to go ahead and offer an uninformed, unqualified and idiotic opinion anyway.

The Texas constitution has Home Rule provisions that grant specific authority to qualifying municipalities to establish their own laws. As a constitutional provision, it can't just be overridden by the state legislature.

Further, legal doctrines of "pre-emption" (i.e., when one legislative body's law supersedes another's) can be very complex, so unless you know how those principles play out, you probably shouldn't claim to "know" anything about this case.

ETA:

Oh, I see Scooter beat me to it.

EATA:

Also, just because a legislature passes a law doesn't mean it's automatically constitutional. See, e.g., Marbury v. Madison (1803). If you "knew" anything about American government, you'd know this is a bedrock principle of the "checks and balances" that go with separation of powers.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

What they said but if you insist on hitting 'Submit' when silence would be wiser . . .

. . . please please please learn to DELETE crap that has nothing to do with your chosen subject.

Hint: the irrelevant crap* begins "The 10 big cities where young people are getting hired like crazy, and what your new income will buy you" and it ends after "The following are large cities with high full-time hiring rates for young workers where the class of 2023 and young job seekers can get the biggest bang for their buck, per Gusto's analysis".

Learn to use your cut and paste functions - we've put up with years of this kind of garbage quoting.

*irrelevant crap may be indistinguishable from the entirety of the post
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

liberty wrote:
These liberals in Texas think they are a Kingdom within themselves, and since when have liberals cared about what is in a constitution. They just it make it up to suit themselves as they go along. They need to get slapped down; this is an insurrection against the state of Texas.
The jaw-dropping irony in lib's blather above is that it is in fact Republican Gov. Greg Abbott and the GOP-controlled Texas Legislature who have wholly ignored the Texas constitution in an anti-democratic (and anti-Democratic) power grab aimed at crushing home-rule municipalities' constitutional right to govern themselves. I have to wonder what kind of upside-down bizarro-world he actually lives in.

Here's another article about the decision from the Law360 news service run by those commie Marxists at Lexis-Nexis:
Texas Law To Undercut Cities' Powers Found Unconstitutional

By Madeline Lyskawa

Law360 (August 30, 2023, 9:53 PM EDT) -- A Texas law nicknamed the "Death Star" by opponents was declared "entirely unconstitutional" by a Travis County judge Wednesday, marking a win for three cities that had challenged the law's validity based on its attempt to undercut their power of self-government.

Judge Maya Guerra Gamble of 459th District Court granted Houston's motion for summary judgment and conversely denied the state's sparring motion to dismiss, declaring House Bill 2127 unconstitutional on its face and as applied to Houston as a constitutional home rule city.

In response, Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said in a news release that he was thrilled that Houston and its legal department and sister cities — San Antonio and El Paso, which intervened in the suit — were able to obtain this victory, calling H.B. 2127 a "power grab by the Legislature and an unwarranted and unconstitutional intrusion into local power."

"H.B. 2127 was intended to mire large cities like Houston in endless litigation at taxpayer expense as cities and businesses struggle to discern what H.B. 2127 meant. As a former legislator, I am appalled by this assault on federalism and Texas cities," Turner said.

San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg expressed similar sentiments in a separate news release, calling Judge Gamble's ruling a "win for democracy."

Houston first filed its petition challenging the Republican-backed H.B. 2127 in early July, seeking to have the law, which was set to go into effect on Friday, declared unconstitutional given its reinterpretation of the meaning of preemption. The city said the law would effectively repeal the state's constitutional power of home rule, which has historically given cities like Houston the power of self-government over laws addressing local needs and desires.

Notably, the bill, which was signed into law by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on June 14, permitted the state to decree whole "fields" of current and future local regulations to be off limits to city government, Houston said, thereby killing Houston's pay-or-play programs for city contractors, for example, which provide 30,000 uninsured residents with health care by requiring contractors to pay into a fund for low-income care if they do not provide health insurance to employees. The bill would also shift the burden of disproving preemption to cities, Houston said, in violation of the Texas Constitution and decades of Texas Supreme Court precedent.

After the city filed suit, San Antonio and El Paso moved to intervene as plaintiffs. On July 19, Houston filed its motion for summary judgment.

In its motion, the city said H.B. 2127 employed "vague, awkward and opaque" language that failed to notify Houston and other constitutional home rule cities which laws they could enforce or Texas businesses and residents which local laws they must obey, "let alone afford Houston or any constitutional home rule city the 'unmistakable clarity' the Texas Supreme Court has required to preempt a home rule city's law." The state of Texas said in its motion to dismiss, filed Aug. 9, that the court lacked subject matter jurisdiction to preside over the matter.

Unpersuaded by the state's contentions, Judge Gamble granted Houston's motion for summary judgment Wednesday.

Despite the city's victory, however, Turner said Abbott and the Legislature's war against home rule cities like Houston remains ongoing, hurting the state and its economy, discouraging people from moving to Texas from other states and thwarting the will of Texas voters who endowed such cities with the full rights to self-government and local innovation.

"This self-defeating war on cities needs to end," Turner said. "While Houston realizes our battle with the state is not over, I will do all I can during my remaining term to ensure that Houstonians govern Houstonians. I hope my successor will do the same."

In response to the Wednesday ruling, a spokesperson for the Texas Office of the Attorney General told Law360 in a statement that while Judge Gamble declared H.B. 2127 unconstitutional, she did not prevent enforcement of the law by Texans who are harmed by local ordinances, which H.B 2127 preempts. The spokesperson further said the office immediately appealed the ruling and maintained that the law will go into effect Friday as planned.

Houston is represented by Arturo G. Michel, Suzanne R. Chauvin, Collyn A.Peddie and Lydia S. Zinkhan of the Houston Legal Department and Marissa Roy of the Law Office of Marissa Roy.

San Antonio and El Paso are represented by Kennon L. Wooten, Jane Webre and Lauren Ditty of Scott Douglass & McConnico LLP. San Antonio is also represented by Deborah Lynne Klein of the San Antonio Office of the City Attorney. El Paso is also represented by Evan Reed of the El Paso City Attorney's Office.

Texas is represented by Susanna Lynn Gooch Dokupil of the Office of the Texas Attorney General.

The case is the City of Houston v. the State of Texas, case number D-1-GN-23-003474, in the 345th District Court of Travis County.
GAH!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

And now that the village idiot has once again been handed his own ass, will he have the integrity to admit that he was wrong, as he has so often lied claimed that he is willing to do.

Nah, that would be like asking a dog to stop licking its own dick.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

liberty

Post by liberty »

The Cold War set my worldview in concrete. The communists were murdering dictatorial thugs that leftists in this country supported. Texans consistently resisted the communists, but states in liberal parts of the US did not. Texas is a conservative state, and conservatives in general were anti-communist. I am not quite a conservative myself; however, I will always be grateful to them for defending freedom when it really mattered. I am not one of them, but I give them the benefit of the doubt out of gratitude. For the same reason I am always suspicious of the left. So, who should I trust the conservative Texas legislature or the pro-communist liberal leaders of Houston.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Here's your pin-up:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

What "communists" did "leftists"; indeed, how many "communists" are in any position of power in those states. Sure, many supported the communists seeking to overthrow dictatorial regimes in foreign countries , but I have seen few supporting "communists" in local or national US politics. And then, of course, conservatives throughout the country, but especially in the south, openly supported denying a large percentage of their citizens the rights we all should have, and supported thuggery and violence to suppress them. Of course, these people denied basic rights were not white, so I guess they thought they were only defending their race.

And even today, it is the right that seeks to ban books, limit free speech, and limit people from seeking the medical care they choose, not the left. Sure, there are some assholes on the left who seek the same limitations to different ends, but the right in pretty monolithic in this regard.

But keep on saying of conservatives as defenders of rights. It's much easier than examining history and current politics.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

liberty wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:35 pm
The Cold War set my worldview in concrete. The communists were murdering dictatorial thugs that leftists in this country supported. Texans consistently resisted the communists, but states in liberal parts of the US did not. Texas is a conservative state, and conservatives in general were anti-communist. I am not quite a conservative myself; however, I will always be grateful to them for defending freedom when it really mattered. I am not one of them, but I give them the benefit of the doubt out of gratitude. For the same reason I am always suspicious of the left. So, who should I trust the conservative Texas legislature or the pro-communist liberal leaders of Houston.
OMG you're such an ignoramus. Who did Texans elect as governors during the 60 and 70s? The first Republican governor of Texas since Reconstruction wasn't elected until 1978 (term started Jan 79), and he lost reelection to Democrat Mark White. Ever hear of Texas Governor Ann Richards - a liberal Democrat (elected during the collapse of the Soviet Union)? Have you heard of a guy named Lyndon Johnson? If "Texans consistently resisted the communists" and "Texas is a conservative state, and conservatives in general were anti-communist," then how do you reckon that Houston -- by far the largest concentration of Texans in Texas, or anywhere else in the universe -- elects "pro-communist liberal leaders"?

And after all this, you still can't say "I was wrong, I should probably think something else," and instead you just proudly declare your head is filled with concrete and you refuse to learn a goddamn thing. That certainly explains a lot.

The derp runs deep, so very fucking deep. :roll: :roll: :roll:
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I'm beginning to think that lib may be a closet Sovereign Citizen . . .

liberty

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:32 pm
That's where you're wrong, old fossil; I like order and discipline; that's why I like the military. I was outraged when the bank on Tinker Air Force Base was robbed. The commander should have totally shut down the base and searched every building, including quarters, mine included, until the culprits were found. I was disappointed when he didn't.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

liberty wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:39 am
I like order and discipline; that's why I like the military........

Here's a group of orderly disciplined people....

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

liberty wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:39 am
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:32 pm
That's where you're wrong, old fossil; I like order and discipline; that's why I like the military. I was outraged when the bank on Tinker Air Force Base was robbed. The commander should have totally shut down the base and searched every building, including quarters, mine included, until the culprits were found. I was disappointed when he didn't.
And if he was lucky, he could also find the key to the strawberry locker. I kid you not.